Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty headers y-pipe recommendations for a california car

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty headers y-pipe recommendations for a california car

Well, I was looking into getting some headers for my 99 camaro. I saw that JBA made a nice set for my California car but I am not sure what y-pipe I should go with. I probably don’t really need a y but I figured I would go ahead and change that since I have a borla cat back. Any one have any recommendations?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally the gains from shorties is IMO not worth it. If it where me I'd either run LT's and a catted Y so it would pass a sniffer and OBDII test and just hope they don't look to close, or I'd keep stock and spend the money on something else.

(as a side issues are Mac mids CARB certified??? If so they might be worth a butchers)

Good header design is about scavenging not just flow. In fact even the crappier 98-00 headers flow pretty decently, so from what I've read only expect 2-5bhp gain over stock.

If you go FI then shorties will help more, and this will be due to flow, it will help get the hot gases out of the engine easier.

Remember you can still make some really impressive rwhp numbers on stock manifolds.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:36 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shorties are totally not worth it. There is better stuff to spend money on IMO.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:37 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
If it where me I'd either run LT's and a catted Y so it would pass a sniffer and OBDII test and just hope they don't look to close, or I'd keep stock and spend the money on something else.
In Cali they seem to really crack down on LT's. Use your stock manifolds to your advantage.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Personally the gains from shorties is IMO not worth it. If it where me I'd either run LT's and a catted Y so it would pass a sniffer and OBDII test and just hope they don't look to close, or I'd keep stock and spend the money on something else.

(as a side issues are Mac mids CARB certified??? If so they might be worth a butchers)

Good header design is about scavenging not just flow. In fact even the crappier 98-00 headers flow pretty decently, so from what I've read only expect 2-5bhp gain over stock.

If you go FI then shorties will help more, and this will be due to flow, it will help get the hot gases out of the engine easier.

Remember you can still make some really impressive rwhp numbers on stock manifolds.
The MAC mid-lengths aren't smog legal for the same reason LT's aren't. They relocate the cats rearward. The 98-99 exhaust manifolds aren't as good as the 00+ cars and can add 10rwhp. Is it worth it.......or not??? If you NEVER plan on doing LT's then I'd do shorties on a 98-99 car, with a custom y-pipe, high flow cats and flowmaster merge. If you aren't gonna ever do LT's, you might as well optimize what you've got. Your best bet is LT's though. I was sure I'd never do LT's, so I installed the JBA's, with a custom y-pipe as described above. Now I've got the Pacesetter longtubes sitting in my living room.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
If you NEVER plan on doing LT's then I'd do shorties on a 98-99 car, with a custom y-pipe, high flow cats and flowmaster merge. If you aren't gonna ever do LT's, you might as well optimize what you've got.
agreed upon... I went with some pacesetter shorties, custom 2-1/2" y-pipe, w/ rand. tech. cats... definitely felt serious difference
Old 03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Launching!

This is what I'm having a hard time with, going back to CA.
So LT's and duals with Cats can pass smog though???
...I know it will fail visually, but can it pass the sniffer/OBDII?
I thought shorties only made a slight improvement on 98-00 cars, not worth it though. May as well keep the stock manifolds...if you're going to change it up, its already illegal....so you may as well go all out with LT's in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I am running JBA's with mufflex test pipes and SLP Y pipe and magnaflow catback and making pretty good power see sig. Easy to pass the smog test just put the cats back on. LG motorsports makes a little better Y pipe it is 2.75 inch and will work with your stock cats and the mufflex test pipes.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Trans
This is what I'm having a hard time with, going back to CA.
I thought shorties only made a slight improvement on 98-00 cars, not worth it though. May as well keep the stock manifolds...if you're going to change it up, its already illegal....so you may as well go all out with LT's in my opinion.
Not to be nit picky, but it's 98-99 cars that have the weak manifolds. The 00's are the better design like the 01 and 02's.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Trans
you will most likely need a tune to pass sniffer
Old 03-11-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

I have a set of ported and jet-hot 2000 coated stock manifolds for sale. They should gain you something without any visual or mechanical differences. The manifolds are from an 02 so the boss for the egr is not drilled, it is possible to drill if you want to keep the egr.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

how about the cheatr cam for use with stock manifolds, should work well for legal cali power gains
Old 03-11-2006, 10:14 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep your stock manifolds and get a Thunder CheaTR cam.