Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post pics of you catch can

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You fab it to fit on your oil cap and it's direct replacement of your PCV system and catch can.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribing for future info!

-B
Old 11-30-2006, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Old 11-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Launching!

ok, so i need a catch can.... My car for some reason is just sucking up oil into the intake like no tommorow. I pulled my intake off and its was just full of oil. The top of my head ports, the same.

I just dont get the concept of a catch can I mean, how does thing work, it seems like i have to drain it? Or can i get one that sends the oil back into motor automatically?

Someone help me out here, i lost.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Oh snap, heres a little something...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/608078-anyone-have-proven-pcv-system.html

I still want it to recycle its self...

Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TWISTEDTA
ok, so i need a catch can.... My car for some reason is just sucking up oil into the intake like no tommorow. I pulled my intake off and its was just full of oil. The top of my head ports, the same.

I just dont get the concept of a catch can I mean, how does thing work, it seems like i have to drain it? Or can i get one that sends the oil back into motor automatically?

Someone help me out here, i lost.

Thanks
The catchcan takes the gas/atomized oil leaving the crank case and separates them. It sends the gas (combustion gasses) back into the manifold to be sent through again, and collects the oil. Of course, it's not fool proof, It's not going to catch everything.

It takes FOREVER to fill up a decent sized one, you won't have to drain it but every so often.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/488624-greddy-catch-can-results-after-6k-miles.html

Those are the results after 6k miles. I pulled my intake and still had some oil, so I chunked it and got a breather.

I run a breather now and have NEVER looked back.

You won't be able to have the oil run back in the motor because that line would be at the same pressure as the incoming line, it would just bubble up in the bottom.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The catchcan takes the gas/atomized oil leaving the crank case and separates them. It sends the gas (combustion gasses) back into the manifold to be sent through again, and collects the oil. Of course, it's not fool proof, It's not going to catch everything.

It takes FOREVER to fill up a decent sized one, you won't have to drain it but every so often.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488624

Those are the results after 6k miles. I pulled my intake and still had some oil, so I chunked it and got a breather.

I run a breather now and have NEVER looked back.

You won't be able to have the oil run back in the motor because that line would be at the same pressure as the incoming line, it would just bubble up in the bottom.
It takes forever to fill even when it sucks up almost a quart of oil in less then 200 miles???
Old 12-01-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK question... I've seen the catch can ran 2 different ways in this thread. One (only saw it once) used the line running from the very top of the throttle body to the passenger side valve cover. The other used the other line going to the throttle body. so, which way works?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Using the AMW can, with the LS6 valley cover and a check valve.
Then ran a line from each breather port of the valve covers to a homemade breather typ catch can.
Can has a catch type of baffle inside as well, cant see it but there is a petcock drain on the breather can if needed.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Im not sure what im looking at as in the catch can set it because it seems like you have two, but.....
Your set up is DOPE!

Seriously though, my car and my new set up is sucking up about a quart every couple hundred... what in the world can save me!? Ive read alot of post's about the catch can tonight and there are some people that say it didnt work for them

Help!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:16 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by TWISTEDTA
Im not sure what im looking at as in the catch can set it because it seems like you have two, but.....
Your set up is DOPE!

Seriously though, my car and my new set up is sucking up about a quart every couple hundred... what in the world can save me!? Ive read alot of post's about the catch can tonight and there are some people that say it didnt work for them

Help!
Plug everything, buy a crappy oil cap, drill hole, slap in an autoparts store breather. If it's still sucking oil like crazy, it's your motor.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Launching!

Are any of you runnning an Elite Engineering Catch Can?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think that the line that is connected from the valve covers and goes to the intake manifold or the throttle body (correct me if I`m wrong) or both of them is what you connect to the catch can?
that`s for the oil vapors I persume .... what my friends are doing are blocking these lines and not using a breather or anything is that right wrong?any advatage disadvantage?and if just blocked the engine will use this vapour or what what will happen to it?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, you guys just gave me an idea. While looking at pictures of these catch cans I thought I'd look around the tool room and see what I could make when I ran across a Detroit Diesel fuel/water seperator. Perfect!! It's not too big, has an inlet and outlet, drain valve and mounting bracket. I'll run by Royal brass and Hose after work to find two 3/8 nipple fitting's, take this thing home and paint it metallic blue and polish the bracket and install it on the car. I'll take some pics of the free finished product. Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2006, 03:36 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Bader-X
I think that the line that is connected from the valve covers and goes to the intake manifold or the throttle body (correct me if I`m wrong) or both of them is what you connect to the catch can?
that`s for the oil vapors I persume .... what my friends are doing are blocking these lines and not using a breather or anything is that right wrong?any advatage disadvantage?and if just blocked the engine will use this vapour or what what will happen to it?
You have to vent the crankcase or pressure will build and oil will blow out of the front and rear cover seals on the crankshaft.

The hose from the valve cover to the throttle body is ALWAYS at atmospheric pressure. The hose from the valve covers to the manifold is always less (big *** butterfly seperating the two in the throttle body).

This causes air to flow from the throttle body, through the hose connected to it, and into the valve cover because the hose on the manifold (vacuum hose) is pulling it through. This constantly purges the crankcase of spent combustion gasses back into the manifold to be burned again.

This is to improve the life of our engine oil.

Now, running a breather and deleting the PCV is only going to vent the gasses. It's no longer a POSITIVE crankcase vent, it's just a crankcase vent. You will need to change your oil more often, but the 3k interval is blown out of proportion anyway (per oil analysis) for the most part.

Hopefully someone will read this this time.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Hate to kind of stroke this more than necessary, but my car does get a bit of moisture buildup (coolant) on the oil cap, very little, nothing that SEEMS like a headgasket issue. Could this be a problem with the PCV, seeing as it looks as if the previous owner deleted it on accident/purpose. Also, my car loses (dont think it burns) aprox 3/4 of a quart every 3000 miles. Is this normal, my car has 88k miles on it. Is it likely that a catch can will show me where this 3/4 of a quart is going, I know my intake/tb has oil in it. I know Im probably beating this dead, but will a catch can/breather solve my loss of oil?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

from my cardomain page....the 2nd pic is how much oil was caught in about 500 miles of driving.
Attached Thumbnails Post pics of you catch can-2209146_15_full.jpg   Post pics of you catch can-2209146_24_full.jpg  
Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by patSS/00
Here's mine. It drains back into the hose from the valve cover so it never has to be emptied. Contains stainless kitchen scrubber as a filter to catch the oil. Easy to open the top and replace. Cost maybe $10 in parts from Lowes. I should paint it black.
You've got to be shitting me...
Old 05-29-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I have the smaller Husky setup and I was wondering if there is any downside to adding so much more hose? From the PCV to manifold before adding the seperator was about a inch or 2 of hose, now with the Husky seperator I have alot more hose is that gonna hurt anything? And if I wanted to add a breather can I have both? Also how do you mount a breather, in the oil cap?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripper415
from my cardomain page....the 2nd pic is how much oil was caught in about 500 miles of driving.
Remove the stone filter from the cap. It's used to catch moisture, not oil. I wouldn't be surprised if you caught 2x more with it out.

Quick Reply: Post pics of you catch can