Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has ported the LS6 intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did it make a difference on your setup? I already have the throttle body being port and polished by Tim. Just waiting to get it back. $150 sounds like a great price for new era to do the porting job, and if i get 5-10 horsepower out of it, I will be super happy.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

I am interested in this as well. Any numbers or results would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea. I did it when I did a h/c swap. So there was no way to tell. But I know that 20 minutes with a die grinder was definitely better than knowing that we should've and didn't.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by N4cer
I have no idea. I did it when I did a h/c swap. So there was no way to tell. But I know that 20 minutes with a die grinder was definitely better than knowing that we should've and didn't.
Not to be rude, but if you ONLY spend 20 minutes on it, you probably didn't do too much. I'd like to consider my self a "head porter" that has decent ability with a porting tool, and I can say that in 20 minutes I wouldn't have much done if I were working on ANY manifold be it plastic, aluminum, or a GM iron intake.

If you spent only 15 minutes in each individual runner with a carbide burr and then finished it with a cartridge roll, that's two hours right there.

Ben T.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Studytime
Not to be rude, but if you ONLY spend 20 minutes on it, you probably didn't do too much. I'd like to consider my self a "head porter" that has decent ability with a porting tool, and I can say that in 20 minutes I wouldn't have much done if I were working on ANY manifold be it plastic, aluminum, or a GM iron intake.

If you spent only 15 minutes in each individual runner with a carbide burr and then finished it with a cartridge roll, that's two hours right there.

Ben T.
It was figurative. I'd say honestly it was about um, 57 minutes. LOL!
Seriously, all you do is make a template of the head's intake port. Then transfer to the intake so you know where to match it up. Then use the carbide burr to blend the runner to the proper port opening. It's not like it scuffs or anything if done right. Pretty simple stuff. But as I said, it's just port matching. Not porting. So I'm sure it's not worth much gains.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by N4cer
It was figurative. I'd say honestly it was about um, 57 minutes. LOL!
Seriously, all you do is make a template of the head's intake port. Then transfer to the intake so you know where to match it up. Then use the carbide burr to blend the runner to the proper port opening. It's not like it scuffs or anything if done right. Pretty simple stuff. But as I said, it's just port matching. Not porting. So I'm sure it's not worth much gains.
Now I understand a little better N4cer. I was kind of scratching my head esp coming from YOU!

There is a big difference between a "gasket match" and a ported intake as you pointed out. Many people don't fully understand this. I couldn't begin to describe some of the "ported" LT1 intakes I've seen that are simply a very VERY crummy gasket match that looks like it was attempted with a 32" chainsaw bar. They'll spend time trying to get a 1/2 of a percent gain when there's a 10-15 rwhp gain from porting further into the LT1 intake manifold by working the roof of the runners until they break through, welding, smoothing, etc. ...

As for grinding on a LS6 intake inside the runners (not a 'port match' as N4cer was pointing out), this is something I'm going to attack myself in the upcoming weeks after I get a few other side projects out of the way.

Ben T.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
ttt for ya. I'm wondering this too for my LS1 intake.
I ported my LS1 intake and gained oh, about 000
Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry for the brief hijack.

Originally Posted by New Era Performance
You can not make the LS6 intake as good as the FAST intake in my opinion , at least I wouldn't know how to do so .
We tested the FAST intake against an LS6 intake almost 2 years ago (immediate before and after) on an 02 Formula M6 that had the stock cam and heads with all the bolt ons , it made 11 rwhp more and 16 more with tuning...
Interesting information there. What was the throttle body used? And would the gains be even greater if the FAST intake was ported? Thanks in advance for the info.

Quick Reply: Who has ported the LS6 intake manifold?