Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please explain the coolant flow of the water pump to me

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default please explain the coolant flow of the water pump to me

I am doing a LS1 swap where space is very limited and therefore I will not be using a ls1 water pump. I need to know how the four holes that are in the block are routed and what passage goes where inside the water pump so that I can hook these four holes up to an external/remote water pump via coolant lines.
Thanks for any help.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure exactly, why don't you try looking at the back and fill the ports up and see where they come out at. that should give you a rough estimate.
-Alex
Old 03-31-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

well it's hard to figure out because they dump into the water pump fan in the middle and come out everywhere. I would think that one port on each side is where coolant is pulled away from the block and the other one is the one that is pushed back into the block. meaning that each side is independant of the other in that it makes a complete loop other than the tubes that vent air under the intake.

I guess no one can confirm this?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:39 AM
12 Second Club

I'd be interested to know this aswell.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

bump...
Old 03-31-2006, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FirstGen
well it's hard to figure out because they dump into the water pump fan in the middle and come out everywhere. I would think that one port on each side is where coolant is pulled away from the block and the other one is the one that is pushed back into the block. meaning that each side is independant of the other in that it makes a complete loop other than the tubes that vent air under the intake.

I guess no one can confirm this?

Maybe ask some of the sponsers that build motor's. It would be interesting to know.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

maybe one of the sponsors will see the thread and respond...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Remember 1992, when Chevy raved about the Gen II’s reverse-flow cooling? Well, reverse is, apparently, out. The new engine uses conventional pushrod V8 cooling. Coolant is pumped into the block, around the cylinders, up into the heads, then out to the radiator. The reason Gen II went reverse was that, to make the power Corvette Development wanted; it had to have a higher compression ratio (LT1, 10.2:1; LT4, 10.8:1). Higher compression made for detonation. The cooling system was revised to run the cylinder heads cooler as an antidetonant strategy, and to run the cylinder bores hotter for higher oil temperature and less friction. Clearly, reverse-flow cooling, the publicity darling of the Gen II engine, was really nothing more than a fix that allowed the limited cooling of the old Small-Block head to work with the higher compression necessary to reach the 300 horsepower level.

Air in the cooling system becomes problematic if it gets into the water passages surrounding the combustion chambers. This often causes localized boiling and that, in turn, allows hot spots to develop on chamber walls and they cause detonation. The problem with reverse flow is that with coolant flowing downward and air bubbles flowing upward; keeping air out of the Gen II cooling system was difficult.

Though the LS1 has a lower static compression ratio; its cylinder heads have improved combustion chamber design and intake ports that breathe better. Those features allow them to make more power. The clean-sheet-of-paper approach also allowed design of the cooling passages around the chambers to be more efficient such that the engine can put out more power than the Gen II but yet have coolant flow in the conventional direction to eliminate problems with aeration. With a better combustion chamber and water jacket design and improved antifriction technology in the block, pistons and rings; it made sense to go back to the normal-flow cooling system.
I Shoulda read this a long time ago.
This may not answer the question, bit I definately didn't know it.

These quotes were taken from a link in JRP's FAQ
I should prob quote the actual article author, buuuuuuut im too drunk.
good night.

DJ
DJ
Old 03-31-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got this from Gm SI if it helps any:

Coolant is drawn from the radiator outlet and into the water pump inlet by the water pump. Some coolant will then be pumped from the water pump, to the heater core, then back to the water pump. Coolant is also pumped through the water pump outlet and into the engine block. In the engine block, the coolant circulates through the water jackets surrounding the cylinders where it absorbs heat. The coolant is then forced through the cylinder head gasket openings and into the cylinder heads. In the cylinder heads, the coolant flows through the water jackets surrounding the combustion chambers and valve seats, where it absorbs additional heat. Coolant is also directed to the throttle body. There it circulates through passages in the casting. During initial start up, the coolant assists in warming the throttle body. During normal operating temperatures, the coolant assists in keeping the throttle body cool. From the cylinder heads, the coolant is then forced to the thermostat. The flow of coolant will either be stopped at the thermostat until the engine is warmed, or it will flow through the thermostat and into the radiator where it is cooled and the coolant cycle is completed.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstGen
I am doing a LS1 swap where space is very limited and therefore I will not be using a ls1 water pump. I need to know how the four holes that are in the block are routed and what passage goes where inside the water pump so that I can hook these four holes up to an external/remote water pump via coolant lines.
Thanks for any help.

im looking up the same thing now for a friend..

did you ever figure out what ones are what?

im thinking the round ones are the outlets, and the square ones are the coolant into the block, but im not positive at all..... id like a little confirmation.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

I put a water hose in the top pipe( the one without the thermostat) and the water came out of the round ports. So the heads get water first and then through the block.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1badjimmy
I put a water hose in the top pipe( the one without the thermostat) and the water came out of the round ports. So the heads get water first and then through the block.

the top pipe is the return.... so if water came out of the round ports, i guess that means that water leaves the block thru the round ones, and enters thru the square...

heh, good idea on that water thing.. i think i have a spare WP i can try that on.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
the top pipe is the return.... so if water came out of the round ports, i guess that means that water leaves the block thru the round ones, and enters thru the square...
Question: How can the top pipe be the return when the lower pipe( one with the thermostat) has the thermostat installed the same as the Gen 1. With the wax pill facing the engine. Not sure if I am explaining that clear enough. But the way I learned it as the coolant travels through the engine and heats up it heats the wax pill inside the thermostat thereby making the thermostat open up. And when the thermostat opens it releases coolant into the radiator. So by my figuring the lower hose on the waterpump is the return and the top one is the suction. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

The LS1 cools the block first not the heads. The only V8's I know of that cool the heads first are the LT1's (thus reverse coolant design).
Old 11-07-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1badjimmy
Question: How can the top pipe be the return when the lower pipe( one with the thermostat) has the thermostat installed the same as the Gen 1. With the wax pill facing the engine. Not sure if I am explaining that clear enough. But the way I learned it as the coolant travels through the engine and heats up it heats the wax pill inside the thermostat thereby making the thermostat open up. And when the thermostat opens it releases coolant into the radiator. So by my figuring the lower hose on the waterpump is the return and the top one is the suction. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

on the LS1s stock cooling setup, the stock thermostat is on the intake of the waterpump....
directly behind the thermostat is a bypass that allows some of the heated coolant of the block to re-circulate... allowing the wax pill to heat up and the thermostat to operate.

on the aftermarket electric waterpump LS1 setup, the stock thermostat is gutted, leaving only the shell to use as a inlet. a SBC thermostat is placed on the exit of the waterpump/block.. just as in a normal SBC setup.

because the LS1s coolant exit is below the highest point of the engine, it has air bleeds at the top of the heads that constantly allow coolant flow to return directly to the radiator. any air bubbles present are removed thru this line, and are eventually "burped" from the system..

does that help answer your question?

Quick Reply: please explain the coolant flow of the water pump to me