Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Leak cause exhaust noise

Old 04-24-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake Leak cause exhaust noise

Hey guys I am down to my last options here. After putting on my pacesetter lt's and exhaust I have been having this problem with the engine under load it sounds like a granny car. I am sure it is not an exhaust leak as I put brand new OEM gaskets on the headers and had the Y-pipe welded closed. Everything there is fine. My question is do you think an intake leak and lean running condition could cause this problem. I pulled the plugs 2 weeks ago and they where very white indicating lean condition. I thought about putting NGK T6 plugs in as they are a little cooler and then putting on new intake gaskets. I know the intake has a leak as the tuner guy put a scantool on it and found abnormal readings in the vacuum pressure I beleive. This is the only thing I have left and before I pull the intake off do you guys think this is a good place to start?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would change your intake gaskets if your pretty sure you have a leak. My car would hardly idle when I had a vac leak.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Thats just the thing the car idles great. Which is why I find it hard to beleive I have an intake leak. And I feel no loss of power at all. This is just what the tuner tells me. I would hate to pull the damned thing off and put new gaskets on for the same results. Do you have to change the gasket's everytime you take the manifold off. I thought these gaskets where like the exhaust ones where they are reusable.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

I've pulled my Fast90 8 times this week chasing down a leak...

You gotta start somewhere, and if you don't fix it you could damage your engine.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
I am sure it is not an exhaust leak
Are you 100% sure? Does the noise get louder as you step on the throttle? If it does then you have an exhaust leak. Also, an intake leak won't even be noticeable at full throttle (no vacuum) so if it makes noise while at WOT then its not an intake leak. It just stands to reason that you messed with your exhaust and now you have a new noise, it's probably from the exhaust. I just hate hearing about people randomly changing stuff to fix a problem before they know the cause. Just my .02
Old 04-27-2006, 12:04 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I've pulled my Fast90 8 times this week chasing down a leak...

You gotta start somewhere, and if you don't fix it you could damage your engine.

8 times? damn man. Definitely not looking forward to that when I install mine.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would listen around the manifold for the hissing, which is where the leak if there, will be coming from. Sometimes the injector oring doesnt seat all the way either which causes a slight leak. AlthoughI dont know how this happened cause you havent taken the intake off. I reuse my inake gaskets with no issues.

Why are going to use Tr6's when you dont have a power adder which requires colder plugs?
Old 04-27-2006, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does your y-pipe connect to the headers? I ask because even though my y-pipe is welded, I have minor leaks due to the fact I have slip on collectors. Or did you get the y-pipe welded ALL the way on?
Old 04-27-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Lithium
8 times? damn man. Definitely not looking forward to that when I install mine.
Will be nine in a few minutes.

Manifold leak won't always be audible. I found mine with starer fluid.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

The noise does get louder as you step on the gas. I used a hose and checked all around the collectors and header to head and there is no ticking while at idle. I was going to use colder plugs tr 6 because I am running lean and that is the only way I know of to fix it right now. Dont have the money for a tune and it didn't start until after the headers went on. I have had some older engines before that got an intake leak and that cause it to run lean as well so I am thinking that maybe part of my problem. I have the pacesetter y it slips over the collector but I can't hear any leak there either. The rest of the exhaust is welded up. The main question is if the car is running lean will it make a noise like this. I have taken it to 4 different exhaust shops and they say it is not an exhaust leak. I have also changed the gasket's once again using OEM gaskets and no fix. Next step is buying the 45 dollar aftermarket gaskets for greater header tolerance but I don't think it will fix it. If you put your head down around the intake and bump the throttle you can hear almost like a leak but I think it is just sucking air in is all it is. I am going to try a colder plug first and see if it helps any as I don't know what else it could be there is no black soot or anything on the exhaust pipes which also tells me there is no leak.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
The noise does get louder as you step on the gas.
Then it's definitely related to the exhaust side of the house. Also, some folks say you can get a lean condition from an exhaust leak depending on where it is in relation to your O2 sensor and how big the leak is. I'm not to smart on all of the computer related stuff but search around for it and I'm sure you'll find a few threads about it.

Also, check to make sure all of your spark plugs are tight. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to cause the sound you're talking about.

Last edited by 98LS-WON; 04-28-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Search this Thread