Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering Parts from Canada. A true Story..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ordering Parts from Canada. A true Story..

I went through an ordeal to get a fairly priced Magnaflow Cat Back from a dealer, and now headers are next in line....

The only problem is I live in Canada, and it's like jumping through flaming hoops to get a FAIR price here. I will use the example I have been discussing in the Canadian Section : There was not a single local shop that could get me a Magnaflow Cat back ( advertised at like $389 American ) for under $700 bucks. This isn't because of American money conversion either. The current Canadian dollar is around a 10 cent difference right now, and with simple math, you can determine that would be no more than 50 ( under th $50 mark actually ) increase in price. SO, my 430 dollar catback ( a reasonable price for me ) becomes 700-750 by stepping over the border. Thankfully, with the recommendation from an Ls1 member, I was directed to a reasonable Canadian Company that managed to get them to my door for $540 - which is around $100 more than an American would pay. currencies coverted and all.

I am going to post this in aother thread so people can see what modding in Canada is like, and can share some stories and or market secrets

Keep in mind folks the Canadian to American Currency is not the significant cost factor it used to be... with the American / Canadian economy the way it is, the world is different place. I am not arguing the currency conversion, by beef is the Brokerage fees, border fees, and general inflated cost of shipping to Canada.

Comments welcome. Feel free to discuss. And let's keep it friendly, as we a re all neighbors right?

Old 04-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure where in canada you are... but if I were you, I'd think about getting to know someone across the closest border you can, and have stuff shipped to them... and then just go aross, pick it up and bring it back yourself, just keep it covered up in teh back of your truck/suv, and be done with it. **** paying all that tax and ****.

The sales tax is one of the main reasons I mail order everythign I can, from car parts, to stuff for home, etc.etc. I just get a few people in on it, and the shipping, is ALWAYS cheaper then the sales tax. Buy clothes from LLbean, pay 8 bucks in shipping for 400 bucks worth of clothes..... save 18 dollars in sales tax alone. You get the idea. Sure we are supposed to report it all.... but I don't know a single person that ever has, or has ever been caught, never mind even asked.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Well, I am about 3 hours from a border, so the money I am spending in gas might take away my savings a little bit. However, I may be able to take advantage of this one time during the year. I am wonderign what would happen if someone were to bring me across some headers, and the customs guy was like " Hey, what are those " - I am wondering how much trouble the guy might get in...
Old 04-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Race your car!

I doubt it... if they just tell them that they have been sittign in teh back of the car/truck for a while... you could probably get away with it. Again, I don't know how strict the boarders are these days, but if there's a way to get out of paying that BS tax crap, I'd get on it.

I know a few people in canada that own a company that sells batteries for radio controlled race cars.. I knwo for a fact that they come across the boarder all teh time and ship the stuff, and don't pay that bogus tax nonsense, if they had to pay teh tax, their stuff would be so out of the range price wise that it would never sell.. and their stuff is teh same cost for the most part as every other company that does the same thing, so I know that they can't possibly be paying any boarder tax on it.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

its in the Nafta agreement, that if its manufactured in North America, duties should not be assessed, however they can tax. Ghost, where are you exactly?

Mike
Old 04-28-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

I live in Ontario.

As well, I just visited a local shop and inquired about pacesetters, and he said he could get me JBA headers ( not even what I was origionally asking for ) for $900 before tax. I wish I could support local business. I really do. But when my neighbors are paying less than half of what I am expected to pay, that's when I agree with getting someone to bring it over the border.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Race your car!

I hope you can find someone that lives nearby across the boarder.... sounds to me like you'd be best off to wait until you have several parts to get at once ( headers, heads, cam, fuel stuff, or all the suspension stuff and shocks, etc.etc ) and go down and get it..... no way in hell would I be paying 900 for shorty headers!
Old 04-28-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

LOL no doubt.

I think I will buy my headers / y-pipe, along with my struts, pick them up, and call it a day
Old 04-29-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

have you seen the stainless SX headers that a member bought? they are 350 US shipped 1 3/4 with 3 inch primaries, they look nice and they are stainless steel. They are the Ebay headers. 900 for JBA shorties! Are you in East ontario? or West?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

I have seen the headers. I am a cautious buyer, and prefer to go with tried, tested and ture. I think pacesetters are the way to go for me...
Old 04-30-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

pacesetters are good but once they rust out, youll be paying more to replace them than if you went with stainless the first time, thats my rational, you mine as well just save up IMO especially living in Canada
Old 04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

I live in Cleveland. For the right price I could bring something up....
Old 05-01-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I would be getting ceramic coating for sure - as you said once they rust out, then suddenly ceramic looked like a good investment

I will keep your offer in mind TransAm_00, I have a friend who has a mailbox in the states, but I am not sure if they will hold a big item like at a mail box ( forgive me, but I do not relly know how this work, but from what I guessed is it would be an actual mail box, however, perhaps they can be held at the post office, BUT then does the post charge me fee's as I do not have an American address)

I will investigate this further and post..