Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Lid, MAF, and Smooth Bellows Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Lid, MAF, and Smooth Bellows Install Questions

I have a totally stock 98 SS. How much will changing the lid, filter, maf, and bellows help my car? Will this do away with that ugly stock baffeled piece that looks like some big ears sticking out? How much louder will my car be once I install these pieces? How hard is it to do? Just need everyone's general opinions, I don't really want to do anything else to the car, except maybe change the stock dual-dual exhaust to GMMG. Thanks Brandon.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

very easy install, save your money on the MAf sensor, the gm is the better piece, if you must change it, then go for the z06, it will save you tuning headaches down the road. the intake will be slightly louder and the throttle response will be better. and the stock piece will be gone as well, try searching and you will find some pics, also in my sig is an slp lid and bellows.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Don't change your MAF. You will regret it later. Honestly just stick with your stock piece, and change the rest of the induction setup. You will be much better off.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:01 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock bellow is fine too. Smooth bellows are generally alot harder to wrestle around and have been known to crack lids due to their lack of flexibility. Stock MAF is the way to go as well. The z06 MAF mentioned earlier will need tuning to work properly, but it is the best upgrade over the stocker.

A lid and ported stock TB will give you some more power, but a set of longtubes and y-pipe will REALLY help. The common saying is how fast do you want to spend?
Old 06-07-2006, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

very easy install, some sites have a very good combo kit w/ the smooth bellow, lid, and ram air induction duct. I love my fast toys one and SLP has one as well. And yes, keep stock MAF
Old 06-08-2006, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

I just installed the SLP FlowPac two days ago.. and as everyone is saying.. louder... deeper tone of the induction, better throttle response.. and a decent pickup in power throughout... feels a little more torqe-y to me you will definitley notice a difference
Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just get the lid. I called SLP and they said they didn't have a bellow in stock. I have the lid and I love the sound but couldn't say it made me faster.

I am thinking of getting this pipe connector things they use in turbo kits. It looks like they start by wrapping a fabric tape around in a shape and then coating it with silicon. They are flexible and hold a lot of boost. Perfect since I have NA anyways.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG, why do people insist of paying/giving their money away for smooth bellows. C'mon, guys smooth bellows worth $56? Dood, you can get a freaking fernco 3" in/out for like 5-6 dollars and it works as well as those bellows you get online. I can't say much though, I just spent $1000 on dual exhaust made by bassani and ended up fab most of the pipes, now it looked like a damn frankenpipe system.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bene
OMG, why do people insist of paying/giving their money away for smooth bellows. C'mon, guys smooth bellows worth $56? Dood, you can get a freaking fernco 3" in/out for like 5-6 dollars and it works as well as those bellows you get online. I can't say much though, I just spent $1000 on dual exhaust made by bassani and ended up fab most of the pipes, now it looked like a damn frankenpipe system.
the fernco mod is notorious for being a bit too stiff... causing cracked/broken lids.. be careful with this. I bought the entire flowpac so i dont feel as bad... it doesnt feel like i spent that much on it even though i did
Old 06-08-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Fernco just doesn't work consistently. Yes you can get it to work, but I honestly think that you could spend $50 of your time in getting it to work. Some have luck on the first try, others will break their lids in attempting to get it to fit over the TB.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SLP smooth bellows is fine if you understand it is an APPEARANCE mod only. It will not make any more HP. I got mine before I found this site so I thought it would make more HP too. Just realize that you will most likely need to trim the smooth bellows as mine kept poping my lid off whenever I rev'd the engine. After almost 3 years it has not cracked my TSP lid yet but I hear the TSP lid cracks anyway over time.

I agree that the MAF is not worth it. I also don't think getting a reusable filter like the Holley or K&N is worth it either. Those will gain you very little HP (if any) and can mess with your MAF because they can coat it in filter oil. I would just stick to the paper air cleaner. If I had to do it all over again I'd just go with the lid.

Quick Reply: SLP Lid, MAF, and Smooth Bellows Install Questions