Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals with sweet thunders vs magnaflows

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals with sweet thunders vs magnaflows

I have the 18" sweet thunders dumped(LTs and no cats) and it sounds great but way to loud to be driving home from the bars at 4am. I just got some 22" x 4" round magnaflows off ebay. I'm just wondering how much they will quiet it down. I have never heard the magnaflows but read that they are one of the quietest. Just looking for some opinions on how it will change the sound/volume. I'm sad I have to loose the quality sound I have now but with a F14 and 4000 stall it gets pretty nasty even when I'm just trying to cruise without being noticed. I'll be pissed if I change them out and the system is still too loud. If you have any advise on how to really tame it down without losing the true duals, I'm ready to try just about anything. I hope the magnaflows will do the trick but I think they may still be too loud. Let me know what you think.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theyll help but theyre still gonna be pretty loud. One thing is theyll mellow out the tone. You wont have that hollow reverberation or the agressive stacatto screem.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Teching In

here is what I did.. and it is GREAT.

4 bullet magnaflows.

Very tame when cruising.. when WOT? Sounds like a small block chevy of old getting all wild!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

How did you manage to fit 4. I went with the longer ones and they will just fit before my axle. If its still too loud I guess I could go over the axle and add two more mufflers. I hope I don't have to cause that can get expensive and even worse heavy.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rufretic
I have the 18" sweet thunders dumped(LTs and no cats) and it sounds great but way to loud to be driving home from the bars at 4am. I just got some 22" x 4" round magnaflows off ebay. I'm just wondering how much they will quiet it down. I have never heard the magnaflows but read that they are one of the quietest. Just looking for some opinions on how it will change the sound/volume. I'm sad I have to loose the quality sound I have now but with a F14 and 4000 stall it gets pretty nasty even when I'm just trying to cruise without being noticed. I'll be pissed if I change them out and the system is still too loud. If you have any advise on how to really tame it down without losing the true duals, I'm ready to try just about anything. I hope the magnaflows will do the trick but I think they may still be too loud. Let me know what you think.
............. ...Driving home from the bars at 4am' ???????...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Launching!

I have a suggestion that you may not like, but along with the MagnaFlows, It should quiet down the sound a bit. Add Catalytic Converters. With a Catalytic Converter on each bank and with a 22 x 4 inch MagnaFlow on each bank, I believe that the loudness problem would be solved. The MagnaFlows, 22 x 4, are probably the straight through, noise canceling design so you will not have a flow problem because they flow like straight pipes. Of-course the catalytic converters will creat a slight flow restriction but they will help the loud problem and besides, it is better than trying to put 4 mufflers under the car.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:09 AM
Teching In

i dont have four MUFFLERS on the car. I have four Bullets.

As for how I fit them.. 2 before the axel and 2 after. I went over the axel.

Anyone that see's or hears my setup automatically wants to get the IDENTICAL setup.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:05 AM
12 Second Club

keep the ST's!! hehe i know what you are talking about, its crazy loud at night.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks so far guys. The cats really arn't an option because I don't want to give up more than a couple hp. I have clamps where the mufflers will go so I can swap easily. I do plan to keep the sweet thunders for the track.

NHRAMAN, whats wrong with driving home from the bars at 4am? I've been doing it since I was 18, thats 8 years with no problems. I know my limits, it only becomes a problem when it sounds like I'm racing at 25mph.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Just a follow up.
They are not nearly as loud! It's seriously a big difference. Setup is exactly the same except the muffler swap. I won't lie and say it's not still loud but it is a much more tolerable loud. Next to the car it sounds much deeper, feels like its shaking the ground but you take a few steps away and it's not bad at all. The sweet thunders sounded loud at idle a block away, they were a much higher tone. In the car at idle it's not that much quieter but once you start getting in the higher rpms it's a huge difference. I'm no longer worried about giving it a little gas to get up to speed. Before it was screeming anything above 2000rpms, with a 4000 stall it's hard not to drive over 2000rpms.
One other plus is they actually look like they will flow even better. Might of even picked up a few hp.

To sum it up, I'm very happy with the switch.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Teching In

I have a dual setup w/ ST dumped before the axle also. I like the sound now with the stock cam but I know it is going to be to load after the cam goes in. After reading your post I was thinking about using those 4x22 magnaflows but I wanted to know how your ground clearence is now. With the larger diameter mufflers how much clearence you lost over the 2.5 or 3" sweet thunders? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should still be the same as the ST's are also 3". they just compress at the core for some reason i'd imagine their size to be the same, negligible at most.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

The magnaflows are actually much larger. I lost about an inch clearance. If your sweet thunders are close to touching anything, make sure you have at least an extra 3/4" or the magnaflows will probly be bumping or possibly not even fit. The magnaflows are an actual muffler, the sweet thunders are just chambered.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:48 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i wish tsp offered their true duals with magnaflows as an option, i would be all over that.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:22 AM
10 Second Club

Update:
After driving it around last night, it's still way too ******* loud. Cops pulled me over and told me I accelerated so fast he didn't have time to turn his radar on but he thinks I was going like 80 in a 45. I wasn't going that fast it just sounded like it. He gave me **** for my front plates and hoosiers but then he turned out to be ok and didn't give me a ticket for anything. I think he understood that I only drove it for a date and didn't want to drive my beater civic.
I think I need to just get a blower and put on a full exhaust, lol, maybe one day.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

my TSP TD's with the thunders sounds raw and deep, then when you get on it, it has a sports car wail. Its crazy.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its really still too loud with the magnaflows? Wow maybe its just since your running them through true duals, but my car with 232/238 cam 112 lsa/mac heads/gutted cats/magnaflow catback is very tame at low speeds and idle but wakes up at WOT and sounds real mean. I cant think of another muffler offhand that really tones down the exhaust sound but still flows extremely well. Your going to have to either throw cats into your duals, run 4 mufflers as stated above (2 magnaflow bullets/2 magnaflow 4x9 mufflers), or your gonna have to keep trying diff mufflers till you find one thats quiet enough for you. Good luck though man and let us know what you decide on.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

magnaflow bullets for duals is very different than the magnaflow catback. ever see the inside of a magnaflow catback muffler? it's all steel wool with a straight-through hole in the center. i doubt the 4X9's are constructed like this, they'd be far too large for ANY TD setup on an f-body. they simply can't be packed with steel wool, and if they are, it's definitely not in the same quantity. i've never seen a magnaflow bullet broken open.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, these arn't like the magnaflow catback muffler. They are straight through and are only 4" wide. I think I will get one of those kits from jegs for true duals and take them over the axle and out the back. That will help inside the car and if it's still too loud outside, I'll have to put two real mufflers right before the tips. That should do the trick but by that time I'll probly loose the extra power from having the true duals. Money, money, money and I still can't win. This is like the 4th or 5th setup I tried. I'm sure it makes the most power though. One day I'll have the exhaust just right, when that day will be, I have no idea.