Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
not even close. the difference in the collector distance is way longer. just compare an image of the stock manifolds to an image of long tubes and you'll get an idea of how much further back it puts the opening.

EDIT: to put it simpler, if you get the exhaust first, and have it set up to fit your stock manifolds, you'll have to get it re-done once you put the LTs on. it'd be easier just to get the exhaust done once.
I know it would be easier and better to do the entire exhaust at once but $$$ rite. Im gonna have to start with a set of LT's and then TD's later on.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Need help!!!!

I have 3" xpipe and piping...I'm running the sweet thunders and it sounds awesome. Only issue I'm having is from the mufflers to the tips(dumped) I cannot raise it higher with shorter hangers since the Torque Arm is in the way.

-- Any sweet thunder users having this issue? How can I get it to tuck higher??

Any pics?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Striker
I know it would be easier and better to do the entire exhaust at once but $$$ rite. Im gonna have to start with a set of LT's and then TD's later on.
just save, i do not recomend drive open long tube headers, i put mine on and drove it to the exhaust guy the next day it was tooooo loud i had to hide behinde a greyhound bus cuz thier was a cop on the other end of the freeway. and u have a better chance of messing up a valve.....if you get LT you have to mess with your y pipe costing you more money any ways
Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Pics have been posted, I just wanted to put pics in the sticky for everyone.
3" from headers through x and mufflers (powersticks) and 2.5" over the axle.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
Pics have been posted, I just wanted to put pics in the sticky for everyone.
3" from headers through x and mufflers (powersticks) and 2.5" over the axle.

Looks good! Got any sound clips?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98blackbirdta
just save, i do not recomend drive open long tube headers, i put mine on and drove it to the exhaust guy the next day it was tooooo loud i had to hide behinde a greyhound bus cuz thier was a cop on the other end of the freeway. and u have a better chance of messing up a valve.....if you get LT you have to mess with your y pipe costing you more money any ways
Got ya. So what your saying is do it all at once, rite? I thought about it too, it seems like its a waste because then you have to get rid of the Y pipe that you used with your headers.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Striker
Got ya. So what your saying is do it all at once, rite? I thought about it too, it seems like its a waste because then you have to get rid of the Y pipe that you used with your headers.
yea, if you want duals get it done all at once cuz this is what would happen

you buy LT so u need to adapt ur y pipe or get a new one...thats money out the window
and if you get a y pipe you need to adjust your stock cat back or if you have one your good, but still money out the window

for now just decide what you want to do. x pipe or H(deff. recomend a cross over pipe) what mufflers you want or if you want any. if you want to bust money out for a great set of headers or just get good ones. what material you want to use. i also recomend listening to sound clips and to save some $$$ install the headers yourself with a friend its not to bad and you can find a how to just about anywhere

it took me a while to decide what i wanted
Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

so what mufflers are you running 98 blackbirdta? X or H? Sorry if you posted it somewhere, I just can't see to find it.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

question for you guys running TSP true duals ( or anyone else who has the answer )

I have flowtech LT headers, and i would like to buy the tsp system. do i need collector flanges in order to connect the x pipe to the headers ??

a local guy has a system for sale but the "header" end of the system is just piping. would i need to get the flange welded on in order to bolt it to the headers ??

sorry if this is a simple ? / answer, but i gotta know

thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For my TDs I had pipes welded to the collectors which then were a slip-fit with my H-pipe and that connection was sealed by band clamps...

So you don't really need flanges unless that's the route you want to go.. it would probably be cheaper to either add a pipe that one end fits the collectors and the other fits the X-pipe, and have that welded or clamped, all preference there.

I'm assuming you're taking it to an exhaust shop? Any shop should be able to get the x-pipe connected to the headers no problem, whether it be flanged or clamped.

HTH.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CHRRRIS
For my TDs I had pipes welded to the collectors which then were a slip-fit with my H-pipe and that connection was sealed by band clamps...

So you don't really need flanges unless that's the route you want to go.. it would probably be cheaper to either add a pipe that one end fits the collectors and the other fits the X-pipe, and have that welded or clamped, all preference there.

I'm assuming you're taking it to an exhaust shop? Any shop should be able to get the x-pipe connected to the headers no problem, whether it be flanged or clamped.

HTH.
I always prefer flanges with an exhaust system. Slip fits are always prone to fusing in place. Ask me how I know With a flanged system droping the whole exhaust is as easy as four or six bolts. Just my $.02
Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrnorm_hemicide
I always prefer flanges with an exhaust system. Slip fits are always prone to fusing in place. Ask me how I know With a flanged system droping the whole exhaust is as easy as four or six bolts. Just my $.02
i did alittle more searching last night, and apparently the flowtech headers tuck up so "well" that the driver side of a would be x pipe needs to angled downward in order to fit under the car.

wtf ?

i guess i am keeping my current, old, setup
Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

man i want a td setup with one chamber flows really bad
Old 06-24-2009, 02:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry if this ansewer already but what torque arms clear tsp x pipe. Was thinking of going to a shorter torque arm madman or bmr trak pak for a street strip car
Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK
Looks good! Got any sound clips?

No, dont have any yet.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
man i want a td setup with one chamber flows really bad
I had them on my car with TDs. Sounds bad *** like a old muscle car. I just couldnt deal with the dust.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Sorry if this ansewer already but what torque arms clear tsp x pipe. Was thinking of going to a shorter torque arm madman or bmr trak pak for a street strip car
We can get you set up with a torque arm and an unassembled cross member. You'll have to bend the main bar to accommodate for your x-pipe, then weld the bracket and drive-shaft loop onto the cross member. Call me if you're interested in this set-up. 225-673-3533
Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mad_steve
We can get you set up with a torque arm and an unassembled cross member. You'll have to bend the main bar to accommodate for your x-pipe, then weld the bracket and drive-shaft loop onto the cross member. Call me if you're interested in this set-up. 225-673-3533
Thanks for the reply I probly will give you a call Sometime. I see you guys build some hardcore stuff. Which for my car I want the baddest suspension to go with my 9 inch and 4.56 gears. I just want to launch and pull the wheels and low 60 ft times and have a xpipe and dumps. Hopefully we can make that happen .
Old 06-24-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Thanks for the reply I probly will give you a call Sometime. I see you guys build some hardcore stuff. Which for my car I want the baddest suspension to go with my 9 inch and 4.56 gears. I just want to launch and pull the wheels and low 60 ft times and have a xpipe and dumps. Hopefully we can make that happen .
that's our specialty! definitely give me a call sometime, i'll get you set up
Old 06-29-2009, 05:12 PM
DGraboyes

quick question for you guys... if i didnt want to go with an H or X pipe setup would i be losing or gaining anything if i went straight from each header out to just piping dumped in front of the rear wheels?

Quick Reply: True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!