Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a pic of some clearance. This is after the X at the worst point on the drivers side. Sorry for the ball cap its all I had on the fly. Camera angle is a tad high also its about 3.5 inches just eyeballing. I will try to get a can or ruler under it and get the camera level.

Name:  ridinglow.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  56.9 KB
Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I'll still be going with my original plan, 3" true duals w/ H-pipe and Borla mufflers...probably start slowly piecing the system together. I already have the tips, dual 4.0" out. I'm wondering which Borla mufflers I should go with? Looking at the XR-1s, and I think the correct part number is 40575? I'm wondering if this is right. Or would something like the 40943 be better? What would be the differences? They are expensive, and I have to order two...damn this exhaust is going to be expensive, but worth it.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

I am having difficulty in deciding what route to go with exhaust my my trans am. On my first one I had long tubes with tsp true duals that dumped before the axle and turned out and down and loved it.

On the trans am I have now I am thinking the same thing but money is tighter. I am thinking about the summit universal 3" xpipe system that's wider. Only issue is that's made for two even straight out collectors when we know the fbody drivers is slightly angled. I'm hoping to add hollowed out cats just after collectors and add pipe at an angle to make up for the difference in that and length keeping the xpipe section center. I was told to use the 3 bolt flanges on everything as they would seal the best.

Summit kit is 120.00
TSP kit is 350.00+

I would think it would flow just as well for much less cost.

My next concern is if I want the exhaust out the back which I kinda do because looks good and sounds good as well with more of an echo loudness.
I don't like dealing with exhaust over the rear axle as the axle moves it can hit the exhaust. I have a Moser 9" with breather filter on the drivers side and new upper and lower panhard bars with tunnel brace torque arm mount. I hope the xpipe section will clear the xpipe section, if not have to add more straight pipe to push it back further so it will.

I like the idea of each side of exhaust going over the axle on its own side but worry about both getting hit or crunched with axle moving under hard launches or axle dropping for some reason. That leads to my next concern about pipes under the axle for less chance of pinching over axle and hitting something but if axle drops enough and exhaust doesnt have enough room the axle could bang into exhaust when axle drops.

Running all options through my head and trying to figure out how much axle could drop if i just lift car to do something. You want it tucked up tight but want enough room not to hit when axle moves. I think this would be the better option than putting pipes over axle on both sided with less room to work with.

Anyone else pondering this or have issue with axle and exhaust for either setup of under or over axle?

Maybe I'll just use the summit universal 3" xpipe kit, make it fit and work around the tunnel brace torque arm setup and keep it dumped before axle to keep it more simple and easier and the cost of pipe down. I already have two summit 3" glass packs, just need hollowed cats and turn downs for the glass packs and the 3bolt flanges. I should be able to build my setup to fit good including welding costs for much less than the tsp kit.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

I used the summit X pipe kit and used my Pacesetter Y pipe to get the right bends to go into the drivers side. Your issue is going to be that tunnel mount TA. I had to go back to a full length to make my true duals fit
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

I'll just follow the y pipe design a little bit then and extend the x piece back further to the rear like you said. Shouldn't be too hard to make work.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
I used the summit X pipe kit and used my Pacesetter Y pipe to get the right bends to go into the drivers side. Your issue is going to be that tunnel mount TA. I had to go back to a full length to make my true duals fit
Do you by chance have any pictures of the exhaust setup I could look at?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Here is the thread.https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-can-done.html My best advice is start at the headers and work back. I at first was going to just fit it together and quickly scrapped that and started at the headers. Tack everything in two places and when you like what you have weld it. The other thing it be sure you let the rear hang down so the first time you jack the car up it doesn't rip your exhaust off and just build it touching the TA so when the TA goes up you will clear fine.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Here is the thread.https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-can-done.html My best advice is start at the headers and work back. I at first was going to just fit it together and quickly scrapped that and started at the headers. Tack everything in two places and when you like what you have weld it. The other thing it be sure you let the rear hang down so the first time you jack the car up it doesn't rip your exhaust off and just build it touching the TA so when the TA goes up you will clear fine.
Thanks for the good info, much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

yeah you bet! glad to help if I can. I will get some more pics when I put my new driveshaft in and PM me if you have any questions. When you first get under it youre probably gonna scratch your head trying to find some room. I did some denting on the drivers side of the tunnel.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

I have been thinking about doing some denting or cutting and replacing with flat pieces to make for more room.

Will do, thanks again, looking forward to some pics.

On a side topic: What driveshaft you go with?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

I am actually having a Nascar Cup car driveshaft cut down for me. Ive been adding today and It looks like ill have under $1700 dollars in my 9 inch and driveshaft. Wallet is happy!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Has anyone used a 3 inch universal x pipe kit from jegs to build a custom true dual kit? I ordered one and I am going to try to put it together on the car tonight. Just wondering if anyone has a pics for reference
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

I have the summit one I'll be putting together soon. I bought glass packs from summit and the pipe I cut to fit the glass packs in will be used up front to push the x sextion back past the cross bar mounted torque arm and you have to add a little custom angle on drivers side like any of the y pipes but can be done with not too much work that I have read about and seen. Even gonna use some short hollow cats for sound and to look legal. Should work out nicely.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my 3" univerdal kit from summit a few pages back. Dont expect NOT to weld though.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Ok looking to build a true dual under the axle set up for my camaro, I will be ordering all prebent tubing and doing the cutting and welding in my garage. Problem is i'm deployed right now and can't measure the angles for the x pipe to collectors. can some one post up what degree bends they used for that portion. I plan to put the x pipe in the stock y pipe location.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

tricky thing is they are different for each side. My best advice to you is have a welder and your pipe and just start at the headers and work back. Tape your X to a spare jackstand where you want it and work the pipe back to it.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

tricky thing is they are different for each side. My best advice to you is have a welder and your pipe and just start at the headers and work back. Tape your X to a spare jackstand where you want it and work the pipe back to it.
yah I understand that, but i need to order the bends now so i can have it ready for when i get back and get started.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill throw my hat in the ring again. 3 inch with Sweet Thunders and an H pipe on my GTO.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1
Here is my 2000 TA with true duals w/ 2 LM1's

Have not done my LT, Hi-flow cat, SLP lid, or anything else I got for christmas yet so this is on all stock except the exhaust!

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=016.mp4

Wow that sounds good even without the LT's
Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there anyone with good clearance with tds?

Quick Reply: True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!