Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do to a 95 V6 Camaro to make it sound better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
some people enjoy a challenge. leave him alone now, he's done things with the supposidly useless 3.4L V6 that no one ever dreamed of. i'm confident he'd run muuuch better than 16 flat since he did it on a bad clutch and a few mods back. if you did to your V8 what he did to his V6 you'd be running 9's, that's the kind of time, effort and research he put in so give him credit. he was the first of the breed to do a head swap on a 3.4L 60* V6 engine. i give him all the credit in the world for that. some people aren't all about speed. some people would rather take a car deemed "slow and worthless" and beat a stock LS1. that's more of a thrill than running 9's to me.
thanks for havin my back Choco. its appreciated

FYI for everyone here - AFTER i did my "waste of time of a head swap" - i was showing off for a friend of mine (at the time) who owns a 1996 'vert Z28. it was stock..i did a burnout and took off, he was like alright and came after me. he managed to close the distance and the minute he got within one car length he could not close the gap any further.

edit: He has a 1996 Convertible Z28 Auto. Car was in stock condition. im not sure what they run, but im sure its better than a 16.

And fwiw: i am quite secure in my "manhood" to not worry when children on the internet pick at me for having a v6 or for modifying it. if you lack the necessary equipment to feel like a man and have to pick on people to make yourself feel better, then i feel sorry for you.

--------------------------
edit: you might wanna click the links i included on page 1 of this thread and see what my car sounds like - mind you the video/audio was taken with a digital camera (not that great sound quality) - but this little thread has made me want to seek out a real video camera so i can show up all the losers who think a v6 sounds like *** no matter what you do to it.

Last edited by Black34V6; 07-24-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black34V6

FYI for everyone here - AFTER i did my "waste of time of a head swap" - i was showing off for a friend of mine (at the time) who owns a 1996 'vert Z28. it was stock..i did a burnout and took off, he was like alright and came after me. he managed to close the distance and the minute he got within one car length he could not close the gap any further.

edit: He has a 1996 Convertible Z28 Auto. Car was in stock condition. im not sure what they run, but im sure its better than a 16.

And fwiw: i am quite secure in my "manhood" to not worry when children on the internet pick at me for having a v6 or for modifying it. if you lack the necessary equipment to feel like a man and have to pick on people to make yourself feel better, then i feel sorry for you.

--------------------------
edit: you might wanna click the links i included on page 1 of this thread and see what my car sounds like - mind you the video/audio was taken with a digital camera (not that great sound quality) - but this little thread has made me want to seek out a real video camera so i can show up all the losers who think a v6 sounds like *** no matter what you do to it.
"Ellanor"?

LMAO
Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
"Ellanor"?

LMAO
ehh...so disrespectful...

there are a lot of immature people in this thread. i **** around with a lot of people on this site, but i usually try to do it in fun and i'm rarely the one starting **** and if i do start ****, it's never intended. you guys are just plain starting ****.

yes, this is a V8 forum. and now you all understand why V6 and 4 cylinder guys hate us. we're cocky. we're ********. we think we're better than anyone else because we have 2 or 4 more cylinders. we have the only cars that can and WILL EVER sound good.

SHUT THE **** UP!!!

give the guy credit. there are nearly NO mods out there for the 3.4L V6. he had to do ALL THE RESEARCH BY HIMSELF! he loves his car and he wants to prove that it's not doomed to 15's and 16's. all you ******** have to do is run over to thunder racing or texas speed and click BUY for a new set of heads, a cam, a turbo, a blower....V6 guys can't do that! the aftermarket is NOT OUT THERE! he went through car after car until he found good heads and did damn near all the work on his own. half you guys on this page can't even change your ******* spark plugs, myself included (well i've never tried). i know my place. you all should know yours. if we didn't have thousands of parts out there for us, our cars would have a cutout, the free ram air mod, a K&N filter and be happy with 13's because half you douches ridiculing this guy can't figure a damn thing out for yourselves.

flame me if you want, i don't really care. why? because i'm RIGHT. so please, a little respect for a hard worker with a nice car that's trying to do things everyone, including you jerkoffs, have told him from day one that he can't do.

my apologies to anyone in this thread with respect. this is NOT the street racing forum. this thread isn't the "talk **** on anyone with a V6" thread. and to think, all someone tried to do was ask for help.

you're welcome. you've earned it, russell. i check FTV6 quite a bit for your posts. i wanna see what this bad boy can do when it's finished.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

put an LS-1 in it..jk.....I really don't like any sound on a v-6...I would leave it stock
Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

And fwiw: i am quite secure in my "manhood"
Who the hell said anything about your manhood? A little defensive, aren't we?

I just said you're wasting your money trying to make that 3.4L fast. So you got the parts for free. Good for you. You still wasted your time. You want to laugh at people who say "get a v8?" I say you're not in a position to do any laughing until can run better than 16's. (or 15's, supposedly)

Fact is that its a losing deal trying to make one of those things fast. People have learned that the hard way over and over again. It's nothing against you personally, just the facts. You're the one who laughed at me, not the other way around.

Bottom line: you may not need a fast car to feel good about your decision to mod your V6. That's fine. But if you're going to start making fun of people who say modding the V6 is pointless, you'd better have the car to back it up. And you don't. Period.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
"Ellanor"?

LMAO
wow. what a snappy comeback...im in awe...really. you must have scored high on your SATs...what'd you get, double digits?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by black_knight
Who the hell said anything about your manhood? A little defensive, aren't we?
no. i used that line more of a prod at you. "secure in my manhood" meaning that i dont have to have some massively fast car to make myself feel better or make the girls like me. i dont have anything to prove to anyone. im doing my car for me, and sharing it with the world. unlike a lot of car owners who are out to prove that their car is "best", v8 owners being the lion's share of that group.

I just said you're wasting your money trying to make that 3.4L fast. So you got the parts for free. Good for you. You still wasted your time. You want to laugh at people who say "get a v8?" I say you're not in a position to do any laughing until can run better than 16's. (or 15's, supposedly)
your opinion. and like its said, opinions are like ********, everyone has one. who are you to say i wasted my time? are you me? do you own me? do you own my time? who are you really to say that i have done anything with my time other than use it the way i wanted to?

Fact is that its a losing deal trying to make one of those things fast. People have learned that the hard way over and over again. It's nothing against you personally, just the facts. You're the one who laughed at me, not the other way around.
hey its not my fault i can think out of the box. as for "making it fast". im not trying to do that. what i set out to do - and maintain to this day - is that im trying to make a custom 3.4L V6 Camaro. It will be fast. thats not the point. the point is that its custom. theres a difference between a custom car and a racer. one is unique and tailored to the owners tastes, the other is stripped down and hogged out to make it the fastest thing on the planet.

Bottom line: you may not need a fast car to feel good about your decision to mod your V6. That's fine. But if you're going to start making fun of people who say modding the V6 is pointless, you'd better have the car to back it up. And you don't. Period.

who said im making fun of anyone? i just think its comical that all you v8 guys ever do is say "get a v8 get a v8 get a v8." i know supras that can smoke your ***. i know a few 3.4L v6's that can smoke your ***, and i know a 3.8L that will definitely show you his taillights the entire track length.

whats really funny is the way you people -- the v8 owners that are asshats - and no not all v8 owners are jerks, just some -- all group together. you talk to other v8 owners and are like "so what are you doing?" and someone says "well i got a cam and headers and yadda yadda...but it needs a tune" and you say cool i cant wait to see what it does.

you talk to someone with a v6 (this has actually happened to me) and you are like so what did you do? (not knowing its a v6) and i respond "i did a cam, and headers and yadda yadda...but it needs a tune". and you are like cool how much power and i say 184 / 212. and then you look at me like i have two heads, realize its a v6, and tell me im wasting my time because you wouldnt waste your time on a v6.

not to be rude but again, who the **** are you?

personally - id rather be a v6 owner who is open minded to all aspects of car enthusiasm..a TRUE "Car Lover" rather than some musclehead who only likes beefy v8's and walks around putting everyone down cause they dont go as fast as me.

maybe thats why i dont get along with street racers. of course even after my car is in the 12's, you guys will still say i wasted my money, cause its a v6 and you are ******** (those of you that are disrespectful to v8s).

so what do i do? same thing id do if you walked up into my face and tried to threaten me. back down? nope. stand up for myself and talk right back? yup. im the one thing that you guys are afraid of. someone that'll make their "little v6" faster than your big beefy v8. and spend about half the $$ doing it.

btw - i've already answered the guys question on AIM. and in this thread, so as i see nothing more than you just being stupid, i dont wanna waste any more of my massive intellect on the dimwits.

i have other people to help.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not even going to respond to you're "I'm not trying to make a fast car" bs. That's loser talk, like the sticker that says you tried hard. If that's really what you go for, then by all means have a ball. But this board is about going fast, and you're not going to get away with putting down "get a v8." Because if you want to go fast, then that's the best option for someone with a v6 camaro.

someone that'll make their "little v6" faster than your big beefy v8. and spend about half the $$ doing it.
If you had honestly done that, then I wouldn't have said anything. But you haven't and you can't. Not with that engine. Plenty of people have tried, and they end up spending more money than a v8 and going slower than one.

Like I said, my problem is that you're talking sh*t and you don't have the car to back it up.

I don't have a problem with v6's per se. But that specific v6 is not a performance engine and it's a losing bet to turn it into one. This is not like a buick 3.8L turbo, which is a performance engine.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

wow. what a snappy comeback...im in awe...really. you must have scored high on your SATs...what'd you get, double digits?
comeback? to what, you dipshit? i barely read (and never replied to) your dribble in this thread.

i'd laugh at anyone who thought their car was "ELLANOR" on this website - not just a very defensive tool in a pile of 6 cylinder fury.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

give the guy credit.
No, Taco, you're not right.

Just because what he's doing is hard doesn't mean it's worthy of respect. Respect comes from when you accomplish something, not because you worked really hard trying. He could do all the reasearch in the world, and work hours and hours, and make something totally unique... but if it's still a slow *** piece of crap, then so f*cking what?

If he made a 11 or 10 second car and spent a lot less money than it would take to do the same with a v8 car, then that's an accomplishment. If he did that, then I would definitely show respect.

But that's not going to happen. He's going to dump a bazillion dollars into that thing and it'll still get outrun by a v8 car that spent less money than him. If he thinks I'm wrong about that, he can go ahead and prove it. Until then, no, he doesn't deserve respect.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Tech Resident

No, Taco, you're not right.

Just because what he's doing is hard doesn't mean it's worthy of respect. Respect comes from when you accomplish something, not because you worked really hard trying. He could do all the reasearch in the world, and work hours and hours, and make something totally unique... but if it's still a slow *** piece of crap, then so f*cking what?

If he made a 11 or 10 second car and spent a lot less money than it would take to do the same with a v8 car, then that's an accomplishment. If he did that, then I would definitely show respect.

But that's not going to happen. He's going to dump a bazillion dollars into that thing and it'll still get outrun by a v8 car that spent less money than him. If he thinks I'm wrong about that, he can go ahead and prove it. Until then, no, he doesn't deserve respect.
what are you talking about? i'm not right? you have no idea what the kid did. i do. i followed nearly every step of the way. i know exactly what he has accomplished.

before him, there was no hope for the 3.4L V6 engine. it was considered "a loss". it had no potential. that is, until he did research. he found that stock grand am GT heads flowed as well as ported iron heads on the 3.4L motor. he found a way to swap the heads and even the intake plenum of the grand am GT 3400 motor and made the very first 3.4L/3400 hybrid motor that put down more power than the 3.8L motor. that's right, a 3.4L V6 with stock grand am heads, unported, put down more power than a 3.8L V6 motor rated 40hp higher. i'd say that's an accomplishment. with ported heads it would be well over 200 bhp. but he deserves no respect and accomplished nothing, right?

he did his research and picked out every supporting part properly. he did the mechanical work himself. can you do a cam swap in a motor with nearly no aftermarket parts with no tutorials telling you how to open it up? i doubt it.

his agruments and gains have convinced other people to buy 3400 grand am setups. he started a modding frenzy after his success. but he deserves no respect?

YES, I AM RIGHT. i know the situation. i know all the work the kid put in and all the success he has. he has a stock 3.4L V6 (stock top end, stock bottom end, just a minor cam dwarfing what a TR224 cam would be to our motor) throwing down more hp than a 3.8L. and you say he deserves no respect and accomplished nothing. shut up, you have no clue what you're talking about. don't comment on the situation if you don't know what the situation is.

it doesn't matter if it's a "slowass piece of crap". the point is he accomplished a superior stock motor than a 3.8L on his own. NOW he can really begin modding now that the motor flows well. he can do N2O or a turbo. ever realize he's not finished smart guy? it's a work in progress. he's over halfway there, more than you can say for anything you've ever done. considering he doesn't have 1/10 of the aftermarket parts we have, i say he's done an amazing job with what he has.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-25-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

but he deserves no respect and accomplished nothing, right?
Correct. He hasn't really done anything worth a damn. 170RWHP is 170RWHP.

YES, I AM RIGHT.
Hahahaha, no you're not. You already said all of this before I made my reply to you. You haven't told me anything new. I know the situation just fine: he has a motor that doesn't even come remotely close to the stock LS1 or LT1 in power. Again, what's the point?

it doesn't matter if it's a "slowass piece of crap". the point is he accomplished a superior stock motor than a 3.8L on his own.
...and why should that make me care? It's still slow.

i say he's done an amazing job with what he has.
And I'd say all that ingenuity isn't worth a damn if you don't have the brains to realize it's futile in the first place.

it's a work in progress.
And I'm sure you've got a bridge in brooklyn to sell me, too.

As I said, if he can actually build something that proves that modding the 3.4L camaro isn't a losing game, then he'll get respect. So far, he has a 16 second car (with untested claims of being slightly faster). Sorry, but that just doesn't cut it. When he can put his money where his mouth is, he can feel free to "look down on" the "get a v8" crowd. Until then, he needs to stop running his mouth.

What is an accomplishment?

Getting his car into the 12's while spending less than the LT1/LS1 people did.
Getting his car into the 11's while spending less than the LT1/LS1 people did.
Getting his car into the 10's while spending less than the LT1/LS1 people did.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Resident

sometimes being the fastest thing on 4 wheels isn't the goal. you're comparing a V6 with 160hp designed 15 years ago to an alumium motor that they still use today as a building block. this engine has been the laughing stock of the f-body community and regarded as a "mistake". he turned this laughing stock of a motor into a worthy baseline motor greater than a 3.8L, a motor regarded as "mod-worthy". sometimes the speed of the car isn't the accomplishment, it's the power the motor puts out over stock relative to the aftermarket he has available. don't be a jackass, you have no idea what you're talking about. he can't go out and click BUY like you can on tens of thousands of aftermarket parts. there is nothing other than catbacks and CAI's offered for 3.4L V6's. you have no concept of what an accomplishment is. speed isn't the only thing that commands respect. taking a lost cause and making it "mod-worthy" is an accomplishment. it's a shame that you're both too immature and too self-diluted to see this yourself. the LS1 is the easy way out - it's the route i took. some people enjoy a challenge. making an LS1 fast is no accomplishment. it's already fast from the factory.

just because YOU don't deem it an accomplishment doesn't mean it so. he had a goal and he accomplished it - he made a 3.4L V6 faster and stronger than a 3.8L V6 with stock parts, something no one else ever did. how is that not an accomplishment?? he ACCOMPLISHED a GOAL.

and FWIW, he does not own a 16 second car. he has a car that ran a 16 because he had no clutch. i've seen LS1 cars run 15's with no clutch. so what's your point?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

ChocoTaco, let me ask you a question, as an aside:

1) Do you understand my point about respect requiring accomplishment, and not just a bunch of hard work? Does hard work itself matter to you?

2) Do you think that just because he did something unique that it necessarily makes it worthwhile? Does uniqueness itself matter to you?

3) Do you think that he deserves praise because, even though he still can't touch a stock v8, he's improved things relative to his stock motor? Does relative gain (rather than absolute gain) itself matter to you?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Tech Resident

ChocoTaco, let me ask you a question, as an aside:

1) Do you understand my point about respect requiring accomplishment, and not just a bunch of hard work? Does hard work itself matter to you?

2) Do you think that just because he did something unique that it necessarily makes it worthwhile? Does uniqueness itself matter to you?

3) Do you think that he deserves praise because, even though he still can't touch a stock v8, he's improved things relative to his stock motor? Does relative gain (rather than absolute gain) itself matter to you?
1.) yes, i understand what you are saying. however, i'm afraid that you're unaware of what he has really accomplished.

2.) not everything unique is worthwhile.

3.) yes, he deserves praise. you just don't understand why.

not everything unique is worthwhile, but they are still accomplishments. i've seen honda civics run 12's. they were ugly, horrible sounding shitboxes completely gutted and i wouldn't be caught dead in one. they're total pieces of junk in my opinion. however, my opinion doesn't change the fact that it's still an accomplishment. this is what you don't seem to understand. just because it's slower than an LS1 doesn't make it worthless.

you have no clue what it is like to own a 3.4L V6. the aftermarket many years ago said they have no potential. their heads flow about as well as my dick and the plenum is even worse. this guy did a lot of research and created a stock motor greater than a 3.8L with stock internals. that means these internals can then be ported to make them even more powerful (ported plenum and heads will likely yield another 20-40hp).

is it faster than an LS1? no. but that doesn't mean that he wasted his time. he was a pioneer. he made the 3.4L V6 flow for the first time in history. now, other things can be devised to make it even faster. this is how the aftermarket comes about.

the other thing you don't understand is there is no PCM tuning for those cars. everything he did, he can't tune properly. there is no 3.4L-edit. you can't dyno tune these things. god only knows how much hp is on the table from having no proper tune. i'm sure gobs of it.

this is a work in progess - a project. he keeps up with LT1's. you don't find that an accomplishment? a 3.4L V6 that runs a 17 flat bone stock, totally disregarded by the aftermarket that a stock LT1 can't pull on isn't an accomplishment to you? that 16 flat was on a bad clutch. again, ask around. there are users that have driven LS1's into the 15's. he needs to run again and have a recent dyno pull. his dyno runs are before the cam i believe and his quarter mile time is ancient. he deserves respect.

i'll say it again, his stock quarter mile time is not what he runs. he can hang with stock LT1's. that's damn good. you fail to know the background of the situation.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

taking a lost cause and making it "mod-worthy" is an accomplishment.
That's precisely it: he has not yet done this! When he can run the same times as LS/LT1's for less money, THEN he will have something to talk about. But he has not done this.

Now you've resorted again to personal insults, but you fail to see that this is a question of facts. FACT: he does not have a fast car. FACT: the point of modding a car is to make it fast. Not just "faster than it was," but fast compared to what else is available.

he ACCOMPLISHED a GOAL.
Oh, good. He accomplished a goal. When I go to take a sh*t, I will have "accomplished" a "goal," also. The point is: has he done anything that matters?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

not everything unique is worthwhile, but they are still accomplishments. i've seen honda civics run 12's. they were ugly, horrible sounding shitboxes completely gutted and i wouldn't be caught dead in one. they're total pieces of junk in my opinion. however, my opinion doesn't change the fact that it's still an accomplishment.
Actually, no that isn't an accomplishment; at least not one that matters. Just like his doesn't.

Again, this discussion will go nowhere if you are of the opinion that "relative accomplishment" should be respected regardless of what that accomplishment means in absolute terms. And in absolute terms, his accomplishment means precisely: d*ck.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Tech Resident

FACT: you don't have to have a fast car to make something worthwhile. not everyone needs 11's to be happy.

FACT: your car is slow, too. a 12 second car ain't ****. take it to the track. half the cars will walk all over you.

i take it if you owned a school bus that ran 15's it wouldn't be an accomplishment. a 25 second school bus running 15's is a big accomplishment. it's not FAST, but it's still an accomplishment. you still fail to understand that fast does not equal respectable. especially since there is no definition of the word "fast". some people **** themselves in 14 second cars. on the same note, i wonder if john force thinks his car is slow.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

FACT: you don't have to have a fast car to make something worthwhile. not everyone needs 11's to be happy.
FACT: He made the statement that modding 3.4L's isn't pointless versus getting a v8.
FACT: This must mean in terms of being fast... the same kind of "fast" that the v8's have: 12's, 11's, 10's and more.
FACT: HE HAS YET TO PRODUCE THIS.

FACT: your car is slow, too. a 12 second car ain't ****. take it to the track. half the cars will walk all over you.
Did I claim to be? You're pulling out every logical fallacy in the book, now.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Once again, and here is the point: I don't give a flying damn about his accomplishment relative to the baseline of a stock 3.4L. It's foolish to think of it in those terms.

Quick Reply: What would you do to a 95 V6 Camaro to make it sound better?