Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will WS6 ram air lower box fit under Raptor Hood?

Old 08-15-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will WS6 ram air lower box fit under Raptor Hood?

Will the WS6 ram air lower box fit under a Raptor Hood? I'm thinking about putting a ws6 lower box on my TA but i wonder if it will fit, has anyone else done this and had it work?

Last edited by 98 Raptor TA; 08-15-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

I know that the K&N FIPK works.... I almost gurantee that the setup you want will work.... Just order the FIPK, it does run a few bills but you will like it a lot more.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=57-3022-2
Right around 400 bucks,, little steep, but looks sweet.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAm_00
I know that the K&N FIPK works.... I almost gurantee that the setup you want will work.... Just order the FIPK, it does run a few bills but you will like it a lot more.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=57-3022-2
Right around 400 bucks,, little steep, but looks sweet.
I dont want the FIPK, not worth the money IMO. The only reason i'm wanting to do the WS6 lower box is cause i want to change my lower box anyway, so why not use the WS6 lower box if it'll fit with the raptor hood.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to hell with the K&N kit. probably nowhere near as effective over a lid and CAI kit. the WS6 airbox SHOULD fit
Old 08-15-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tainted
to hell with the K&N kit. probably nowhere near as effective over a lid and CAI kit. the WS6 airbox SHOULD fit
I know most would say it should fit, i'd like a definite yes or no from someone who has actually done it. Cause i know someone must have a raptor hood with a WS6 lower box. I'm looking for a WS6 box right now, and i dont want to buy one then find out it wont fit.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

The WS6 airbox won't fit. I've got one that came off of a wrecked car and tried on mine, hits the underside of the hood pretty bad.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure about the WS6 hood, I have a raptor hood on my T/A and had to use the stock airbox for awhile because a piece broke on the airbox that came with the hood. The suncoast airbox flows completely different than the WS6 box. The suncoast box, which matches the raptor hood has the air come down through the filter and box and then into the intake, whereas the WS6 box has it come in through the front then up through the airfilter and into the intake. So even if it did fit, it would be horrible as far as performance and getting air into the engine. I noticed a huge difference when I finally got the Suncoast box on with the raptor hood
Old 08-16-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by '99slobird
The WS6 airbox won't fit. I've got one that came off of a wrecked car and tried on mine, hits the underside of the hood pretty bad.
Thats what i thought, i've seen pics of a guys TA that has one on there, he modified his hood to make it fit, but i dunno what all he chopped up to make it fit.
Originally Posted by peterlawl84
I noticed a huge difference when I finally got the Suncoast box on with the raptor hood
I dunno about that, i know a guy that dyno'd his TA with the suncoast box and with the stock box with SLP lid, and it dyno'd 10 hp less with the suncoast box than it did with the lid, so i dont want the suncoast box. I guess i'll just stick with an LS1 box and lid cause i dont wann chop up my hood to make it work with the WS6 ram air box
Old 08-16-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I got my hood off of the wrecked Firehawk, I called SLP to ask them what airbox to run, they said to run the stock lower box b/c it was designed to work with it. I know people who have bought the K&N setup and other things like that and had no better times/numbers than with the lid.

I agree with not cutting the hood up, I wouldn't go that route either.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by '99slobird
When I got my hood off of the wrecked Firehawk, I called SLP to ask them what airbox to run, they said to run the stock lower box b/c it was designed to work with it. I know people who have bought the K&N setup and other things like that and had no better times/numbers than with the lid.

I agree with not cutting the hood up, I wouldn't go that route either.

I thought the Firehawk box was the same as the stock TA box? Seen them side by side and there was no difference?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10 hp less on a dyno is surprising, but the air doesnt flow like it would when driving when the car is on a dyno...im just saying my personal experience, the airbox designed for the hood made a huge difference while driving.
the firehawk hood has the WS6 air flow pattern through the hood, the raptor hood has a different pattern.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
10 hp less on a dyno is surprising, but the air doesnt flow like it would when driving when the car is on a dyno...im just saying my personal experience, the airbox designed for the hood made a huge difference while driving.
the firehawk hood has the WS6 air flow pattern through the hood, the raptor hood has a different pattern.
i agree that airflow would've been a factor here.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irnbru83
i agree that airflow would've been a factor here.
I understand airflow would be a factor, so if it didn't pick up any power that would be understandable, but to lose 10 hp on the dyno, that doesn't make sence, if the box is better like you think it is. And they had a huge fan going in front of the car on the dyno anyway, but i know thats not as much airflow as when your actually driving.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the stock WS6 lower air box still available from GM ? or just find it used ?

Thanks Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will WS6 ram air lower box fit under Raptor Hood?