Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This A Header Leak?? Pics And A Vid Inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is This A Header Leak?? Pics And A Vid Inside

ok i jsut put on my QTP LTs with Stage 8 locking header bolts and OEM header gaskets. Note at the same time i also switched my Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5W30 motor oil to German Castrol Fully Synthetic (made in germany) 0W30 motor oil

the reason i am saying this is b/c today i noticed that my lifter tick was louder than normal! and i poped the hood and i saw that the 3rd and 4th primary on the drivers side LT was some rust where it bolts to the head Wha is that from? pass side is fine. is that a leak? Also with the more noticable lifter tick is that bad for the motor?? i do not want to hurt my baby... Should i go back to M1 5W30?? been using the GC for 250 miles now..

HELP

ok first the vid.. Yes it is completly black welcome to almost winter here in chi town. it was 7:15 when i took it.

the first 10 sec was the camera right by the Trans Am logo on the drivers side door.

10 sec - 25 sec was on top of the motor.

the rest was in the same spot as the first 10 sec little more under the car..

what do yoyu all think???

pics are below of the rust. is the rust the sign of condesation???

Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Trunion King

It doesn't sound like a leak to me... I dunno. I have a similar sound but I think it's the headers itself. The leak would sound like a tick, tick, tick sound but not like that.

Last edited by bene; 09-11-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds just like the headers themselves..no leak...leaks sound...tick,tick,tick,tick...etc,etc,etc.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could your plugs or wires be loose?? That sounds almost exactly like mine did. I tightened down all plugs and wires and it took care of my problem.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That rust around the headers isn't a leak. If it were a leak, you would see black soot similar to your tailpipes/exhaust tips around the header. I can take a picture of my leak, but mine is from a broken header bolt.

What you are hearing is just the exhaust valves closing and normal exhaust sounds. When you switch from the cast iron manifold to a stainless steel header (or any steel header) you lose the sound dampening that cast iron gives. Different metals will resonate sound differently. Also, the stock manifolds are probably thicker than the header, so that also helps to insulate the sound.

Case in point, take a 6.0L iron block vs. a 6.0L aluminum block with the same exhaust. The aluminum block will sound much different than the cast iron block. Each metal has different harmonics.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

wow all this time and i though no one responded. i jsut checked it and 0 respons with 63 views.. so you all think that it is normal to hear that sound? could be the oil that i am using?? well i am goign to lok at today after work, lts are hitting the k member. so i will look at the plugs and wires.

anything else??
Old 09-12-2006, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds normal to me. "The Alchemist" hit the nail on the head, thin wall tubular headers (compared to cast iron manifolds) let a lot of valvetrain noise through. The 355 in my truck sounds like a solid lifter motor with the radical xe cam lobes and longtubes. You worry too much.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bene
It doesn't sound like a leak to me... I dunno. I have a similar sound but I think it's the headers itself. The leak would sound like a tick, tick, tick sound but not like that.

it does have the ticking sound to it.. did you notice that your car was louder when you were stopped?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
sounds just like the headers themselves..no leak...leaks sound...tick,tick,tick,tick...etc,etc,etc.

the sound thta i recorded, what does that sound like to you???
Old 09-12-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Sounds normal to me. "The Alchemist" hit the nail on the head, thin wall tubular headers (compared to cast iron manifolds) let a lot of valvetrain noise through. The 355 in my truck sounds like a solid lifter motor with the radical xe cam lobes and longtubes. You worry too much.

you are right i worry. sounds like my motor will blow lol.. will going back to the M1 5W30 quiet it down a bit????

what is the rust from?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

What you are hearing is just the exhaust valves closing and normal exhaust sounds. When you switch from the cast iron manifold to a stainless steel header (or any steel header) you lose the sound dampening that cast iron gives. Different metals will resonate sound differently. Also, the stock manifolds are probably thicker than the header, so that also helps to insulate the sound.

Case in point, take a 6.0L iron block vs. a 6.0L aluminum block with the same exhaust. The aluminum block will sound much different than the cast iron block. Each metal has different harmonics.

my buddies 02 z with Kooks LTs. his car does not sound like that at all...
Old 09-12-2006, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

It sounds very similar to mine, except I do have a small exhaust leak so I have a faint ticking at idle.

Changing back to Mobile 1 will only make the valvetrain noise louder. I switched from Mobile 1 to GC a couple weeks ago and it quieted down the valvetrain racket a ton.

I would'nt worry about it, if it runs good, no loud ticks, is'nt knocking...don't sweat it.

I was the same way when I put my LTs on, it sounded MUCH different than before, and I did'nt have anything to compare it too. The guy that tuned the car said it sounded ok, and it runs ok, so whatever, I'm not going to worry about it.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

you all are saying that switching from cast iron manifolds to SS LTs that it is normal.. Wouldnt i hear that tick sound RIGHT AWAY????? not 2 days later? i think it has to do with the oil or lifters. it is loud, not normal i check my oil level every time i get gas, not burnng oil either..

what else??
Old 09-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Import Patrol

The rust my your headers, is probably do to moisture. Look at all the rain we have had lately.

The sound does not sound out of the ordinary. As The Alchemist said, your headers are simily amping the sound out your exhaust valves. However like I told you on the phone, when I ran 0w 30 my engine noise got louder, and then I switched to 10w30 and it made a difference.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well think about it ok mobil oil no sounds or little, germany oil sound shows up well i would say the oil..
Old 09-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjamick
well think about it ok mobil oil no sounds or little, germany oil sound shows up well i would say the oil..
well think about it ok cast iron stock manifolds no sounds or little, longtubes sound shows up well i would say the headers..

Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned

now a real post:

m1 5w30 is thinner than gc 0w30, it's not your oil. You probably were not really paying attention to valvetrain noise during the exciement of the new headers. When I changed to longtubes, I also noticed it, as other people have said they had as well. I also can literally hear the air rushing through them when I really get into it. Thin walled tubular header ARE NOISIER.. and you are going to hear more engine noises period.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CrawlinWS6
The rust my your headers, is probably do to moisture. Look at all the rain we have had lately.

The sound does not sound out of the ordinary. As The Alchemist said, your headers are simily amping the sound out your exhaust valves. However like I told you on the phone, when I ran 0w 30 my engine noise got louder, and then I switched to 10w30 and it made a difference.

yea we have had some rain, but the pass side head/header is fine..

Jay, isnt 10W30 to thick for our motor????

Originally Posted by bjamick
i did the oil and LTs all at the same time. so it has to be one of them.. supposedily the GC oil is better

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
now a real post:

m1 5w30 is thinner than gc 0w30, it's not your oil. You probably were not really paying attention to valvetrain noise during the exciement of the new headers. When I changed to longtubes, I also noticed it, as other people have said they had as well. I also can literally hear the air rushing through them when I really get into it. Thin walled tubular header ARE NOISIER.. and you are going to hear more engine noises period.

i see what you are saying.. and i was paying attention to the noise b/c i had the radio off and i was listening to see if anyhting was hitting.. surely i would notice that lifter tick.. any new noise i pick up omn it right away i ahva radar ears LOL.. but like i said that noise showed up 2 days later.. has to be oil, or leak still. i will find out tonight
Old 09-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

well, go ahead and change your oil, but also look around the headers/y-pipe area for black soot streaks.

I listened to it, it doesn't sound like a header leak. It does sound a LOT like mine though.. I'm still banking on the headers.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

UPDATE

after work went and bought M1 Fully Synthetic 5W30 and M1 Oil Filter jsut like i do everytime. Changed the oil let all the GC drain.... Filled it up with the M1.. Started it up and the car was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH MORE QUIETER!!!! yea it still has the lifter. just like it has alwyas had, but 100000 X quieter..

I will still check the LTs when i get the car in the air thursday, they are hitting the k member and vibrating the car drivine me nuts.. tonight i jsut jakced it up and was not really paying attention to the exhaust..

now my next question, yes it still ahs the lifter tick but is quieter, can i put some lucas stabilizer oil in ther to quiet it down even more? also when running the GC oil, was that bad for the lifters/motor??

again like i said, my car sounds like it used when i had manifolds on, but now it is a little louder prolly b/c with the LTs.. but nothing compared to when i ran GC for about 250 miles.

GC = CRAP

Quick Reply: Is This A Header Leak?? Pics And A Vid Inside