Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple exhaust questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple exhaust questions...

I have an 01 SS M6. Currently all I have done to the car is a lid, throttle body, and a 150 shot of nitrous. I want to get a set of headers and get true duals, but I have some questions. Oh and btw I already read the true dual FAQ. I want it to be loud, but also have a good tone also.

1. What brand of headers are reccomended around here?

2. What size pipe should I get? Im thinking 3" because I will be getting a head and cam package once I get some more money.

3. What mufflers are reccomended? Im going under the axel, so I was thinking getting Dynomax bullits before the axel for a resonator then get a pair of their mufflers after the axel. Also since the exhaust is going under the axel I'm going to have them put a 3 bolt flange before the axel so I can take the back portion off if I need to get the axel out. but the main point im getting at is when I want to to be loud I'll just unbolt the flange and take the back portion off.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Teching In

bump... What I want to do is put the bullits before the axel and the UltraFlos after the axel.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Banned

I would go 2.5" piping for the duals, there aren't too many setups around that would call for more even a head cam deal, that would be more than good. Just make sure you utilize a good volumetric xpipe.

Oh and you're not going to be able to fit full size mufflers before the tips unless you do some 'creative' rearranging of the floorboards so be prepared for that. Even then they are going to be visible (moreso than the duals under the axle) because of the location.

Also bullets aren't really going to quiet down the exhaust much you might want to forget them and just run real mufflers, instead of carrying that extra weight.

If you have a choice, go with the ultraflows by modifying the floorboards it will be the most refined sounding sound. Otherwise look for a muffler that has a shorter case length than the ultaflows to fit in that location.

As far as headers around here, you have two main options you can go budget and get a set of coated Pacesetters or go stainless steel and splurge for the Kooks or QTP headers. You'll see posts about ebay headers as well which are stainless but aren't proven in the long run yet nevertheless a third option. But if you are considering shorties I would definately pass.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

Pacesetters and Custom 3" true duals.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lsx24
Also bullets aren't really going to quiet down the exhaust much you might want to forget them and just run real mufflers, instead of carrying that extra weight.
Can I fit 2 mufflers underneath the car before the axel? And if so what size should they be?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Ok I did a little more research. How would 2 sets of bullits sound? It should quiet the exhaust somewhat, but still be loud. I watched the video is the TD FAQ of the firebird with the magnapacks and I think it sounded pretty good.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Banned

Personally I've never been a fan of bullets as mufflers although they seem beneficial at first, because they are more of a resonator and don't do very much to quiet the exhaust down. However if you like the loud sound of near straight pipes bullets might be the perfect choice.

The only problem I see with bullets are the extra weight, they are fairly heavy compared to just straight piping. That being said bullets are effective at curing rasp in y-pipe setups, putting a bullet or two in the i-pipe or in the y-pipe quiets down rasp nicely.

But as an alternative I have seen pics of 1-chamber flowmasters just before the axle. It looks like they don't sacrifice lots of ground clearance, and would be in-between a real muffler and a bullet sound-wise.

Also Speed Inc some time ago used to sell a dual exhaust system that utilized pitbul mufflers which were a full muffler casing, just much smaller to fit just before the tips on a fbody. If those are still available that would solve your ground clearance problem as well as since they are smaller in size they wouldn't quiet the exhaust down as a muffler that is full size.

To this day I have yet to see a muffler that compares in function to the pitbul mufflers although I wish there were more, because that fits our fbody application very nicely. If you can find something half size maybe even 1chamber flows for before the tips that would be a good choice too.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

Here I found a pic of Speed Inc's old setup, could be an interesting option if you wanted to run something similar: