Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the Power Steering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I remove the Power Steering Pump?

The bracket holding my PS pump is broken so I need to remove the pump to replace it. However, the bolts are behind the pulley so it looks like I need to remove the pulley first - is this true? If so, there does not look like there is enough room between the radiator and the pulley to get a puller in there - how is this done?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 11-20-2006, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Yes you need to pull the pulley off, goto Autozone n you can rent a pully puller. I dont remeber if i had the radiator in the car when i did mine, but you might have to pull the raidator out also depending on the lenght of the puller
Old 11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Yes..you need to pull the PS pulley. However it needs a PS pulley puller. And sorry, but he radiator should come out.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I replaced the PS pump on my 98 without removing the radiator. Took longer to take the reservoir off and put it on the new pump than to take the pump out.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gnomee
I replaced the PS pump on my 98 without removing the radiator. Took longer to take the reservoir off and put it on the new pump than to take the pump out.
It is good to hear that someone got it out without pulling the radiator. I will see if I can find a short puller and hopefully I will get lucky.

Steve
Old 12-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Launching!

Got the AutoZone puller and it fit without pullling the radiator or shroud. I did have to drain the radiator and un-hook the lower hose/PS fluid cooler though. Took about 1.5 hours all told including putting the coolant back in and burping the system. The aluminim bracket was amazingly only $15 from the dealer.

Luckily, the puller also came with a threaded-rod type installer to pull the pulley back on - I thought I was going to have to use a bolt.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-03-2006, 04:13 AM
TECH Addict

what the hell are you guys talking about? no need to pull the radiator nor pulley
there's a 15mm bolt (believe it's 15 mm) although has to be, as everything is either 10mm or 15mm ...either ways there's 3 of them and it takes awhile but you need an open end for the bolt that's in the cylinder head and probably a universal joint/rachet will do the trick for the bottom one and the middle one is a sinch
Old 12-03-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
what the hell are you guys talking about? no need to pull the radiator nor pulley
there's a 15mm bolt (believe it's 15 mm) although has to be, as everything is either 10mm or 15mm ...either ways there's 3 of them and it takes awhile but you need an open end for the bolt that's in the cylinder head and probably a universal joint/rachet will do the trick for the bottom one and the middle one is a sinch
What he said. There are three 15mm bolts that hold it to the head. Just unbolt those and then you can disconnect the lines and etc... Just to warn you the bottom bolt is a bitch to get at and you will have to loosen all the bolts the best you can then angle ps to get the wrench in there to loosen all the way.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Launching!

If you read my original post you will see that I wasn't just removing the PS pump, I was replacing the bracket that it is bolted to. If you remove the bracket first you still have to remove the pulley to get at the bolts that hold the pump to the bracket. If you do it in the car, you don't have to fight a loose pump when cranking the bracket bolts and the pulley puller - you also don't have to break the fluid lines and deal with that mess.

Steve
Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by schultzsj
If you read my original post you will see that I wasn't just removing the PS pump, I was replacing the bracket that it is bolted to. If you remove the bracket first you still have to remove the pulley to get at the bolts that hold the pump to the bracket. If you do it in the car, you don't have to fight a loose pump when cranking the bracket bolts and the pulley puller - you also don't have to break the fluid lines and deal with that mess.

Steve
so wtf does this mean then? ....
Originally Posted by schultzsj
The bracket holding my PS pump is broken so I need to remove the pump to replace it.
so i answered how to remove the pump
Old 12-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Launching!

so wtf does this mean then? ....

so i answered how to remove the pump
It is the BRACKET that I needed to replace. I am not sure if you really don't understand my explanation (in which case I will continue to try to explain) or your just giving me a hard time (in which case you can consider yourself ignored) .

Steve