Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Is The Best Set Up?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is The Best Set Up?!

I have a 2000 LS1 Trans Am... What would everyone recommend for best power gain if I'm only looking to do intake and cat-back (NO headers)Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

slp and corsa would be my pick. i have a flow master but i need to change that.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by El Ex
I have a 2000 LS1 Trans Am... What would everyone recommend for best power gain if I'm only looking to do intake and cat-back (NO headers)Thanks.

are these the only mods you even wanna do to your car? also,do you mean actual intake plenum or do you mean air lid?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

if youre doing intake and exhaust only, id say go with a whisper lid and a slp loudmouth catback. u wont find a better flowing catback and it sounds wicked on stock manifolds. if u wanna go a lil further, u could get an ls6 intake and port your stock throttle body and call it a day. these cars really respond well to a lid and catback alone. you'll be surprised
Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Speaking strictly from experience, before I put on the LTs I was running a Random Tech stock replacement catted y-pipe through a Corsa cat-back. That with the Whisper Lid and I was very happy with the way the car moved and sounded. Then I got smart (and financially depressed) and changed everything.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Lid and Catback? SLP lid and GMMG catback. Nothing sounds better than the GMMG.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Wow... quick response.. thanks to all of you for your help. And yes, this is all I plan to do to the car for now I still owe some money on it so I don't have a lot to work with at all and figured these would be one, a good starting point, and two, not ridiculously expensive. Would you recommend a lid or actual in take? Like a K&N kit or something?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just recommond a lid. I would go with the slp lid and loudmouth catback. But if you port the Throttle body your self it is free and is a good mod.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FTW
Lid and Catback? SLP lid and GMMG catback. Nothing sounds better than the GMMG.
+1. But seriously, mods are like potato chips. You can't eat just one. You gotta keep going. I know the big mod killer is budget, but once you get a feel and hear the GMMG, you'll want to do more. An SLP lid with a paper filter is all you need.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend the free ram air mod plus a lid, port your throttle body and get a good catback exhaust like Magnaflow or Hooker (both decently priced and flow well). If you want the extra power I have an LS6 intake for sale in my sig.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

A lid is a lid(all the same) I hear SLP has the best quality though. For a catback I would go with something simple like a borla or a nice Corsa with premium tips. All these products are available with our sponsors-------------->
Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

The SLP lid also give a nice tight seal too.

The clear lids like Whisper (I think that's the brand?) look cool, but I hear they are pretty easy to break.

You could get a FlowPak, which gives you the smooth bellow, Lid and a metal duct that seals the air box's normal opening and instead pulls air from under the car, between the rad and the a/c condensor.

I recommend that you DON'T cut anything for the lid.
Instead, cut what you need for the ducting first. If you do it the other way around, you'll have a large opening that the duct's flanges won't cover.
It looks like hell. Trust me.

Also make sure you don't bugger up and reverse where the 16" rubber strip and the 16" foam strip go.
They should seal all the edges of the upper airbox assembly.
If you mix them up, you'll end up with the foam being too high, causing gaps on the sides, and the rubber strip won't be highenough causing another air leak.

....or was it the other way around?

I didn't have nice handy power tools to help me and I was putting off the ducting to last. When I finally got down and did the work, it took me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get it all done.

I'm pretty happy do far with the results.
except where I buggered up a couple of times.
Nothing that 3/4' weather stripping foam from Home Depot couldn't fix
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

why no headers?
if you only want to do a catback and air lid, just go with the SLP products.
Random Technology makes a high flow y-pipe and cat system that is a beautiful direct bolt on to the stock headers and needs no modding to the car or anything but put it together and tighten things up and enjoy.