Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stainless works headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stainless works headers

Anybody running stainless works long tubes with high flow cats? If so how do they sound and look? Good power gains?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Launching!

I've got some on order, will let you know when I get them installed. Should arrive in mid-Feb though; hopefully someone else here will post before then.

Supposedly LTs w/tune is good for close to 40-50 rwhp depending on other mods. I'm at 305 w/lid and catback right now, will get an "after" dyno tune once LTs and tune are installed.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have stainless works but don't have Y pipe set up. No numbers yet either.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look great, sound great. I made 431hp and 405 torque. I use their y-pipe (2.5"). Sounds on my website.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, I have them.

The header install itself was pretty easy. Didn't have to cut anything up or grind the engine block, none of that. All we had to do is take the plugs out, and take the starter out and jack the engine up on the passenger side if I remember correctly and they went right in.

Now as far as the Ypipe goes....we had all kinds of problems. It come disassmbled in 3 pieces. Getting the cats on was a bit hard due to a very tight fit. After that, nothing lined up properly. We cut out an inch of the "S bend" section on the passenger side to get things to fit. All in all it took around 11 hours...using air tools and a lift. Most of that was spend taking stuff apart and putting it back together. Oh...and then there is the Y-pipe banging issue. I was hoping that going with a 2.5" Y I wouldn't have so many problems, but I did. The driver side was banging quite a bit, but we landed up fixing that with the Mufflex 2.5" Y pipe hanger we got from Thunder Racing. For it to work we had to cut the little shaft that supports the rubber hangers and turn it around and weld it back on the other way. This was because the O2 bung was in the same location where the Y pipe hanger was supposed to go, so we had to mount it from the other side.

Here's a pic right after the install. You can see that things don't quite line up yet, the mounting holes are way off, so we just landed up welding it.

In this pic you see the Y pipe hanger installed. The capped off rear O2 bung was the reason why we had to cut the hanger and re-weld it to make it work on the other side.

And this one here shows the metal zip tie that's needed to keep the rubbers from separating and coming off

And finally a pic of the exhaust in its current state:

Lastly.....a dyno sheet.

Here's what I started out with. Mods were B&B catback and a lid

This is where it got me:

The graphs show before and after tuning. LS6 intake is already included in the first graph. In the second graph, porting the TB and tuning was added.

Hope this helps.

Manny
Old 01-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Hmm...hope I don't have the same y-pipe problems...
Old 01-26-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well...that was my experience with it. After hours of trying, we finally did read in the instructions that "some modification may be required". That's when the saw came out.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is not the same but I have their longtubes and hi-flow catetd y-pipe on my Silverado. The headers fit extremely well and the craftsman ship is superb. I did however have a problem with one of the parts of the y-pipe where they merge from dual 2.5 inch (from each header) into the 3" portion which goes into my catback. This was originally made incorrectly and they did remake it for nothing and offered me 10% discount on my next purchase but I still have a small leak when cold. This spring I plan to remove the y-pipe and "redo" my work. Other than that everything is great. I am considering them or Kooks for my Camaro when the time comes.