Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can and High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch Can and High Idle

I just finally got around to installing my Norris catch can and now my car has a high idle issue. Tell me what I've got wrong here. I've removed all of the PCV stuff from the car. Driver's side valve cover has the PCV port at the back plugged. A breather in the oil filler on the passenger side valve cover. I plugged the port on the tb that had the hose that runs to the valve cover. I have the LS6 valley cover. So, I've run the hose from the valley cover to the bottom connector on the catch can and a hose from the top port to the neck of the intake, behind the throttle body. The only thing I changed was adding the catch can. Befor the catch can, I did retain the PCV valve running from the valley cover to the intake. Do I need to put the PCV valve back into the system between the catch can and the valley cover?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like hoses are backwards in that the line from the valley cover should go to the top and the line from the side should go to the intake behind the TB. That itself should not cause a high idle. It may need the PCV in there to regulate things, but I would check to be sure the top and bottoms are tight as well and the fittings. If the drain on the bottom is loose or open, it can act like a vacuum leak and cause a higher idle. I would suspect you may hear a "sucking sound" of some sort, but maybe not. Be sure to plug the rear port on the passenger valve cover also. Let us know.

Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Old 04-09-2007, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

yeah, burning unmetered air.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, Mike. I'll check it out tonight and let you know. I need to pull the can back off and polish it some more anyway. I stripped the anodizing so I could polish it.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I took the catch can off and checked everything out, then cut new hose and made sure everything was sealed good and had the same problem. I put the hose back on with the PCV without the catch can and the car idled perfectly. So, it would appear that I need to put the PCV back inline with the catch can. I'll be working on that tonight as I need to run to Lowe's and pick up some fittings.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got a chance to put the PCV back into the system between the catch can and the intake and all is well.

Mike, I was thinking about the routing of the hoses and the way the catch can is. I was thinking that I would want the hose from the valley cover running to the bottom fitting on the can so that when the oil vapors came in, the oil would drop to the bottom of the can and the filter would prevent them from being sucked up into the top fitting with the hose running to the intake. It just seems to me that would keep the oil out of the intake best.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

alittle off-topic here. How effective is a catch can on our cars?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a few friends that run them and it works very well. I went with the LS6 valley cover in an attempt to cut down on oil in the intake, but was still getting it. I'm anxious to see how much oil accumulates in the can. For the few hours that I actually had the can on the car, the walls of the can were already coated with oil.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

easy to install?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very easy to install. It just bolts to the front of the head. Run the pvc hose to one fitting and a hose to the intake. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to install. I have the Norris catch can, made by Mike. It's a nice piece. The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't get one in raw metal to polish, they all come anodized. Just took a little extra work to strip the anodizing and polishe it. Looks really nice now.

Quick Reply: Catch Can and High Idle