Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Describe life before & after poly motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Describe life before & after poly motor mounts

Did they make a huge difference? Did it make the car ride like crap? Will more rattles/squeaks/weaknesses occur due to the car taking the constant abuse of the engine shaking?

I have weldin SFCs and a chromoly STB.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

I'll let you know when i get mine back, haveing some put on.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Launching!

I put my poly motor mounts in about 300 miles ago. so far im loving it. Stock sucked horribly, the shifter would move around everywhere and when i would rev the engine to high rpm in neutral while stopped the whole car would tilt. Its definately a worthwhile mod, and it isnt as hard as people make it seem. I did it all by myself with the help of installuniversity.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Before I had my poly mounts installed my y pipe banged all the time and definitely had the rock when I revved the engine. After they were installed, no more banging of the y pipe and the front end felt a lot more solid. I don't notice any more vibrations or anything at all. Very worthwhile mod esp if you have or plan on doing longtubes and y pipe.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They didn't cause anymore vibrations in my car, but everything feels much more solid now. No more exhaust hitting the floor, no more engine rocking back & forth at idle. They should come with them from the factory!
Old 06-19-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have LTs and a Y-pipe.... I guess it'll be the next mod.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A friend and I did mine a few months ago and it helped alot with my car. my car really did sound like a old house the way it creacked on driveways and the squeks. the motor mounts solved all that no vibrations or anything came from them just all good things. i would recommend any high mileage car should switch them out.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm....so despite people thinking that they would add vibrations, they actually get rid of them? Interesting. How about a cammed car? Due to the cam, my engine really shakes a lot! Considering doing this now....
Old 06-19-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by 0utlawTorn
Before I had my poly mounts installed my y pipe banged all the time and definitely had the rock when I revved the engine. After they were installed, no more banging of the y pipe and the front end felt a lot more solid. I don't notice any more vibrations or anything at all. Very worthwhile mod esp if you have or plan on doing longtubes and y pipe.
HOW HARD TO INSTALL...and about how long...
Old 06-19-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I hear its a PITA... I'm taking it to a guy at a body shop that said hed do it. Apparently, when putting the poly's in, there is a little more work involved than just the stockers.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
I hear its a PITA... I'm taking it to a guy at a body shop that said hed do it. Apparently, when putting the poly's in, there is a little more work involved than just the stockers.
Yeah--I will take to my friend--we can do it --he has a lift....
Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Oh man...some people say to set aside all day to do, esp if you already have headers in. I lucked out and had one of my mechanic buddies do it on the side for $125. I wasn't about to deal with it.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt notice any vibration either car felt much more solid and I get no shifter shake now but I also did a TA relocation and lca's at the same time.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
Hmm....so despite people thinking that they would add vibrations, they actually get rid of them? Interesting. How about a cammed car? Due to the cam, my engine really shakes a lot! Considering doing this now....
I have a 228/330 on a 112 and after the cam install my motor shook like crazy. So much that the guy tuning my car thought it might be causing a false knock. Switched to poly mounts and put a new poly tranny mount in(the shaking killed the other one) and no more trouble. I never noticed any extra vibration because of the exhaust was dumped under the car and I had the steel DS in.

We took breaks because it was hot as hell outside but give it a few hours. We had a hard time getting the last bolt through since the other mount was already on and not wanting to flex. Get some help because it's not something you want to tackle alone.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just installed mac mids and tore my stock transmission mount in half (jacked up the motor after just removing one engine mount to get passenger side in).

with the poly mount in, i actually have throttle response now. the vibrations were pretty bad (like driving over a rough road) until i cut/shaved off the preload bumps under the mount. now there is more vibration than stock, and you can feel vibration when you rev up the motor. so far i have about 15 miles on my new poly transmission mount. i have read from someone on here that the vibrations go away when you break them in after a while.

after you jack the car up, getting the stock tranny mount out and putting the new one in shouldn't take more than 25 minutes.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of the best mods i have done.. makes the car feel so solid and no more stick bending over when you accelerate.. love it.. DO IT.. its a pain in the *** but its totally worth it..
Old 06-19-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I will be doing this soon. I had it done on my 98 camaro and it felt a lot better. My motor shakes like crazy, and that isn't good. I would rather have the rest of the car shake and not the motor.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It took CamaroExtra and I almost 6 hours to do he had two bolts that were a pain to get back in on the driver side but the passenger side went pretty quick. we didnt take hardly any breaks though cause we were in a air conditioned shop.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Where did you guys get the poly mounts from ?

any forum vendors here sell them ?

I need a set for the vette bad.

Ive already have cracks in my header collectors from the rocking of the motor .
Old 06-19-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From inside the car I noticed no difference from stock to the poly mounts. And even with a cam as big as my MS4, the engine moves very little. However, at idle the front fenders shake and vibrate like crazy! Good thing it doesn't travel through the rest of the car...

Quick Reply: Describe life before & after poly motor mounts