Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007 | 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Y-Pipe

Like the title says, I am determined to find a stainless steel y-pipe that would bolt up to my stock headers on my 01 Z28. I know, people say they aren't worth it but thats what I am looking for. It also needs to be under $200, ss x-pipes for mustangs and vettes are running from $160-$400 so $200 is not unreasonable for a y-pipe.

Where can I find this?
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiezeTheMoment
Like the title says, I am determined to find a stainless steel y-pipe that would bolt up to my stock headers on my 01 Z28.
The 01 Z28 did not come with stock headers, but SLP makes a stainless stock replacement Y pipe for $200. It has no effect on performance, but will make your cat-back sound a little better
Old 07-19-2007 | 07:17 AM
On The Tree

um all cars come with headers......I know SLP and others make those but they bold up to the cats I am looking for one that would make my car catless and bolt up to my stock headers(much like the mustang and vettes with their x-pipe and h-pipe).
Old 07-19-2007 | 07:21 AM
On The Tree

I see mac makes a black coated one for 98-99 cars, Does anyone know where I can find a Stainless Steel, heck I might even settle for alum., one for an 01?

Has anyone had a shop fab up a y-pipe like this for them?
Old 07-19-2007 | 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

um all cars come with headers.....
No they don't, they come with cast iron exhaust manifolds. Headers are a different animal.
Old 07-19-2007 | 09:19 AM
On The Tree

I stand corrected......I see random tech. has one out but for an unreasonable price, any others?
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there not headers, weezer is right, they are exhaust manifolds and if you are going to change the ypipe to catless, you might as well put some headers on or just gut the stock cats. waste of $$ to change just the ypipe on stock exhaust manifolds unless this is the ONLY exhaust mod you plan on doing.
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Thunder Racing sells a Basanni ory for the stock manifolds (01-02) but it's aluminum and costs $345. They also however sell the Mufflex "cat bypass pipes" that just bolt in place of the stock cats. They are stainless and cost $264.
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Why not save up a little more green and get headers and a y pipe?
Old 07-19-2007 | 09:45 PM
On The Tree

The reason is I am in my last year at college. I can't afford $600-$1500 for headers and y-pipe. I just want a little more sound, I very rarely race. My buddy just installed a nice stainless steel, perfect fit, x-pipe on his mustang for $160. So it made me want one but obviously a y-pipe for around the same deal for my Z28. I mean come on the material to build a y-pipe for our cars is much less than an x-pipe for the mustang why is the cheepest one I can find twice as much?
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

the slp one is nice and just bolts up. or you can do what was stated in another post gut or bypass ur cats.
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Just Go To A Local Muffler Shop They Can Custom Make You One Alot Cheaper Than What They Sell Them For. Or **** Just Put On A Cutout If Your Just Looking For Noise.
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you are looking for an ORY to fit the stock manifolds? Just gut the cats if that's all you wanna do. I have a stainless Y that is made to fit the stock cats and manifolds but not one to bypass the cats
Old 07-20-2007 | 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

... I mean come on the material to build a y-pipe for our cars is much less than an x-pipe for the mustang why is the cheepest one I can find twice as much?
The main reason is the market, there are about 4 to 5 times the potential customers for after-market mustang parts than there are for after-market F body parts. Tooling, engineering, and manufacturing costs must be covered on a "per item" basis. The more parts made - the cheaper each part can be made as these costs are spread out among many more items.

Its my understanding the last year of production only around 76,000 or so Camaro's and Firebird's (includes the SS, WS6, Formual, Z-28, etc) were made compared to about 170,000 Mustangs for that year. I believe there were many more production years that mimic this same senario, many more mustangs made and sold over the F bodies.

To a certain degree, its all in the logistics.
Old 07-20-2007 | 08:55 AM
On The Tree

I would say it would be logistics except one problem. Headers, gears, cat-backs, etc., all are very close in price between the f-body and Mustang. If it were logistics then it would be that way across the board because of the production numbers. They would make more headers so they could sell it cheaper, but thats not the case, our headers are priced very comparable to theirs. The same can be said for our hoods, wheels and many other things.

Straight out of one of my mustang mags; Flowmaster Cat-back $386, BBK intake with throttle body $764, Hooker full length uncoated headers $526.......those are all comparable to the f-body. Why in the heck is the y-pipe so much different?

Maybe its supply an demand? But have we really been supplied with options on a replacement y to the stock manifolds other than one here and one there, but almost for the same price as headers? Thats why now you have many people saying just save a little more and get headers. As far back as I can remember we have never been given the option to buy one of these....open a jegs or summit mag and you will see two handfuls of mustang x-pipes for stock manifolds.....not a single y-pipe for f-body.

I am curiuos to what you think......Does my logic make any sense? Maybe I am missing something here.....
Old 07-20-2007 | 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Sure the Y-pipe doesn't give much hp gain......but really the x-pipe didn't give that much more either. It did gain more but I believe it was because of the true duals setup. Either way neither gains much through changing this part of their exhaust. If our y-pipes weren't jacked up so much and say you could get one shipped for $200, its safe to say more people would buy them. They are in the mustang community. Why not here?
Old 07-20-2007 | 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK - here are some thoughts: One - the Mustang is going to sound totally different than your F-Body. Mustangs just do. Don't ask why - there's a whole thread about the reasons and I'm not going to get into that discussion here. Basically, if you think your car is going to sound as nice as your buddies Mustang with a catless Y-pipe, you're nuts. Ain't gonna happen.

Second - most F-body owners will install new, free-flowing headers in place of the factory cast iron manifolds. They make more power, sound better, and weigh a lot less. So, not too many people are just changing the Y-pipe and keeping the manifolds. Therefore, there are less performance Y-pipes on the market, which is why the ones that are available are expensive.

Now why are there so many more Mustang X-pipes available for factory exhaust manifolds? Because to install full or even mid-length headers on a Mustang is a royal pain in the ***!! There is absolutely no room, the motor must be raised, and it's not an easy job. Therefore, there aren't a lot of some-what stock Mustangs with headers. It's easier to just install an X-pipe in place of the factory catted H-pipe and pick-up some power and sound. It's also a direct bolt-in deal that adds power and sound. The F-body Y-pipe really isn't going to provide much gain over the stock pipe.

In the end, if you are limited on budget and still desire to pick-up some good sound for your car, here are some suggestions: Look into getting a cheap, used catback. The Flowmaster catback can be had very cheap, even new it's around $300. While many will rag on the Flowmaster for the lack of flow compared to other brands, it does flow more than stock and sounds very good on a stock motor. Second, have a cut-out installed. This will give you both sound and power. Fairly cheap. Lastly, look for some cheap headers on E-bay or the classified section on this board. Older style headers, such as Mac, FLP, and others can be pick-up pretty cheap. It'll get you by for a while until you can get the brand and style your want.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2007 | 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Now your trying to compare apples to oranges. We were discussing Y pipes, not headers, gears, cat backs, etc.

As Bad2000TA points out- there are very few people that need a stock replacement Y pipe and there are very few companies that make these-this raises the price. Most stock Y pipes last the duration of the vehicle, and like fenders won't need replacing unless something happens like a wreck. Also if someone changes over to headers they need a Y pipe that fits those particular headers and it must attach where the headers terminate and then attach at the stock location for the stock cat back setup. This also restricts the number of that particular Y design that is made because mostly they will only fit that particular header choice. So once again the market is restricted for this item. Also the header manufacturer knows that not everyone that buys his/her headers will also buy their matching Y pipe as some will do custom Y fab or go to a dual exhaust system.

It brings us back to supply, demand, and cost. Cat backs and headers are a different animal. Many people want to change these items and the market supports this with many different manufactuer's and many different styles just as the mustang platform. This is why the prices more closely mirror each other for these items.

I would say it would be logistics except one problem. Headers, gears, cat-backs, etc., all are very close in price between the f-body and Mustang. If it were logistics then it would be that way across the board because of the production numbers. They would make more headers so they could sell it cheaper, but thats not the case, our headers are priced very comparable to theirs. The same can be said for our hoods, wheels and many other things.

Straight out of one of my mustang mags; Flowmaster Cat-back $386, BBK intake with throttle body $764, Hooker full length uncoated headers $526.......those are all comparable to the f-body. Why in the heck is the y-pipe so much different?

Maybe its supply an demand? But have we really been supplied with options on a replacement y to the stock manifolds other than one here and one there, but almost for the same price as headers? Thats why now you have many people saying just save a little more and get headers. As far back as I can remember we have never been given the option to buy one of these....open a jegs or summit mag and you will see two handfuls of mustang x-pipes for stock manifolds.....not a single y-pipe for f-body.

I am curiuos to what you think......Does my logic make any sense? Maybe I am missing something here.....
Old 07-20-2007 | 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

you should look for a cheap cat back in the for sale section I picked up my LOUDMouth 1 for $250 shipped and I think it's the best sounding and best flowing on the market for stock manifolds, otherwise the hooker cat back and flowmaster are two other good sounding ones and flow better than stock
Old 07-20-2007 | 04:03 PM
On The Tree

If I wanted the mustang sound I would have bought a mustang, I didn't just start into this game.....but those were some nice points made on both sides. I already have a cat-back I was just looking for something simple and cheap to give me a little more sound. I guess that is impossible.

How does the ory with gutted cats sound, any clips?

Quick Reply: Replacement Y-Pipe