Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of Being Slow...FINALLY All Systems Go!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
i need some cats like thoes. what is the diameter of them?
3" inner diameter, 7.75" Length. Magnaflow part number 59959.

I got them from EAD Performance. Great guys, I recommend them to you.

http://www.eadperformance.com/catalo...105760cfc3068f

And holy crap! The price went up $25/cat since I ordered them I got them for $89.50 each when everyone else were selling them for $115+. I guess EAD finally caught up to the price increase. Magnaflow's been having trouble keeping them in stock. I had to wait about 3 weeks for them on backorder (they're shipped from the manufacturer, Magnaflow in California).
Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

post pics of the finished product
Old 09-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by No Juice
post pics of the finished product
Headers went in yesterday. Only had to remove the oil filter and drain plug (it was BARELY in the way). Driver's side was a little hard and required a little maneuvering, but the passanger's side slid right in like butter. QTP's fit great

Pics and video will follow, along with detailed information on the installation, along with info on the gear install and the creation of the custom y-pipe. I'll probably make a whole new thread for that.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

arethey OBD2 cats or universal?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
arethey OBD2 cats or universal?
They're universal cats, but I believe they're OBD-II compliant for 49 states. The only state that they aren't in compliance with is, of course, California. For every other state, they're legal as long as you put them in the stock position (of course, mine aren't).

If you're interested and in case you missed it earlier, the part number is Magnaflow Part #59959.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, who's doing the exhaust work?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Grifter
So, who's doing the exhaust work?
A guy I met at Atco Raceway that's a mechanic of a friend of a friend. He's got a speed shop in Estell Manor in NJ. He cut me a good deal, he knows his stuff and he's a good guy. I don't want to drop info in the public forum since he's not a sponsor.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
A guy I met at Atco Raceway that's a mechanic of a friend of a friend. He's got a speed shop in Estell Manor in NJ. He cut me a good deal, he knows his stuff and he's a good guy. I don't want to drop info in the public forum since he's not a sponsor.
I want to see how it comes out. I'm looking into getting a custom header back system, Mufflex is my only option as of now.

PM the shop's name if you don't mind.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my headers with a $300 craftsman tool set I already had and a $20 socket extension set. Already had rhino ramps and jack stands. Also had plenty of time since its not my DD. It was a PITA but I do feel a sense of accomplishment when I do these things. But sometimes I think of how nice it would be to just drop it off and pick it up with the work already done.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Driver's side was a little hard and required a little maneuvering, but the passanger's side slid right in like butter. QTP's fit great
Very good ... but the same thing could be said about almost any other brand of headers.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:41 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see you put a quarter under your pillow and the tooth fairy finally delivered your *********. I didn't see a cam or heads in any of those pictures though...does this mean you are probably still "slow" by website standards?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Glad to see you put a quarter under your pillow and the tooth fairy finally delivered your *********. I didn't see a cam or heads in any of those pictures though...does this mean you are probably still "slow" by website standards?
This guy always with the jokes

Maybe still slow by website standards, but in real world standards, it's blisteringly fast considering 90% of the population can't break into the 15's with their trucks, SUV's and Hondas and Toyotas. I'll stick to real world standards

Hey man, I go to the track once or twice a year. I don't live there
Old 09-08-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to see you put a quarter under your pillow and the tooth fairy finally delivered your *********.
Holy ****
Old 09-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

orangeapeel is on a roll this morning ... I suspect a rough night last night.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by RevGTO
orangeapeel is on a roll this morning ... I suspect a rough night last night.
Ding Ding Ding! Cause the 3rd person in a row has committed and backed out on my Z28. I need to sell that bitch! Hey Anthony....I have a fast car for sale. No work needed!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:28 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

This guy always with the jokes
That wasn't a joke...Just wondering if she finally gave them to you. Whoever has them, be it the tooth fairy or cookie monster.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Resident

Ding Ding Ding! Cause the 3rd person in a row has committed and backed out on my Z28. I need to sell that bitch! Hey Anthony....I have a fast car for sale. No work needed!
Hey man, it took me long enough to get the money for all this stuff...and I'm still not done
That wasn't a joke...Just wondering if she finally gave them to you. Whoever has them, be it the tooth fairy or cookie monster.
Hey, I can only move as fast as the parts can ship out. I dealt with 8 weeks of backorders. It's been hard to get the parts.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Resident

Update: custom y-pipe is ON. It DOES NOT use the Flowmaster merge, so I guess I can send that back...unless anyone is interested in a new in box 3.5" -> 3" Flowmaster merge and a new in box 3.5" -> 3" Flowmaster reducer cone.

What the mechanic actually did was he took the 2 sides of the y-pipe and one 3.5" -> 3" reducer (I had 2 of them in the box). He stretched the reducer into an oval on the 3.5" end and used it to join the 2 sides of the y-pipe, then ran the I-pipe off the 3" end of the reducer. He said it turned out really nice. I just wish I didn't spend the extra $50 on the damn Flowmaster merge now!

Gears go in Monday. I should have the car back either Monday or Tuesday night...but I might not be able to get it up on a lift for pics as he may actually run it to my house. I may have to back it up onto ramps to get pics if that gives me enough room...but then the pics won't be as good
Old 09-08-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the pics!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Get the pics!
I'm gonna try, but now that I probably won't be picking it up at the shop, I won't have a lift to take them. I'm probably gonna hold off on the pics until I break in the gears anyway so I can get a video clip also. I hope ramps will get the car up high enough to get good pics...but I doubt the pics will be that good without the car being up on a lift I mean hell, I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!

Anyways, the mechanic told me there's no leaks, no y-pipe banging issues, it's perfectly level and tucked up as good or better than stock (the lowest point of the ENTIRE system is the cats, and they're barely thicker than the 3" pipe itself). He said the car's slower than when it started though because the tune is so far off

Quick Reply: Tired of Being Slow...FINALLY All Systems Go!