Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puzzling problem - please read!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008 | 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
who me???
Ya you. I know that thing is back there but Ive never known whats its called. Im not inclined to think thats what it is.

Originally Posted by heavymetals
The feed to the hole could be plugged also.

You can check that real quick by taking the sensor out and turning it over (probably not a good idea to run it though).

Oil should spurt out cuz you got pressure.
Originally Posted by neverhome130
So here are the results: I took it to Vengeance racing in Cumming, GA (excellent shop by the way), and it turns out the oil pressure regulator in my oil pump was failed open. The pump still worked, but all the oil was being bypassed. What are the odds...? Anyway, one new LS-2 oil pump later and the car's back on the road. Thanks for all the help with the troubleshooting, and many thanks to the guys at Vengeance.
These are a couple things I came across on the search.
Old 01-08-2008 | 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tainted
god damn. I swear speed inc better not have sold me a motor without that ******* plug in the back there. I think im gonna start off first by checking the o-ring and the oil pump. anyone know how to check to see if the bypass valve is open or clsoed or if I can even see it?
i am not fond of speed.. but man that is whole other story....

the by-pass is on the oil pump. you would have to pull the Balancer and front cover off. It has been known for the check valve to get stuck open and cause low pressure.
Old 01-08-2008 | 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

but how about NO oil pressure?
Old 01-08-2008 | 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

I dont see why not, if its just the difference between partially stuck and fully stuck open.
Old 01-08-2008 | 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

No oil plug in the galley= 0 pressure..

Open bypass valve = 0 pressure....
Old 01-08-2008 | 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

god damn so much ****** **** to check. 4 god damn times now. 4! Im gonna start doing voodoo and become a pagan and do spells n **** and enchant all this bullshit so it works.

im gonna check the oil pump first. it seems like the most logical right now, and I dont wanna pull the intake again, not unless ive got to. Id like to check my o-ring anyhow.
Old 01-08-2008 | 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all this talk about pumps and o-rings... I feel bad for the person who doesn't know this is a thread about oil problems...

good luck with the rest.
Old 01-09-2008 | 09:51 AM
Banned

god damn. I swear speed inc better not have sold me a motor without that ******* plug in the back there.
Excuse me?

The used motor was sold/shipped to you in an unassembled state.

This plug being overlooked is no#1 issue we have had with customers installing motors

per GM repair manual
-Lubricate o-ring of rear oil gallery plug (P/N 12573460) with engine oil
-Install rear oil gallery plug into block so that the plug is .8-1.4mm below flush (p.6-517)
I'll be glad to ship you a gallery plug if you need one.
Old 01-09-2008 | 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

You have a double roller timing set right? There should be shims to pull the pump out, are those on the right way? The one on the driver side could be flipped the wrong way and partially cover the hole. It would still give you pressure, so never mind that. Galley plug vote for me.
Old 01-09-2008 | 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
Excuse me?

The used motor was sold/shipped to you in an unassembled state.

This plug being overlooked is no#1 issue we have had with customers installing motors

per GM repair manual

I'll be glad to ship you a gallery plug if you need one.
Fraser, wasnt it just the heads pretty much that werent assembled on it? Im not pointing a finger, since I dont think the galley plug is the problem, but would there be a reason the plug might not be there?

What should he be looking for to see if the bypass valve is stuck open on the pump?
Old 01-09-2008 | 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Fraser, wasnt it just the heads pretty much that werent assembled on it? Im not pointing a finger, since I dont think the galley plug is the problem, but would there be a reason the plug might not be there?
As I recall

the engine had no cam, lifters or covers on it. They were included in a box of spare parts that came with the motor.

believe I may even have a picture of the engine, just have to check few of my old cards.

I would say problem with oil pump.......... very remote..... i've never seen an oil pump bypass stick, doesn't mean it could happen, I have seen oil pump pickup O rings pinched, not installed (entirely), and dumbell plug not installed (very common)
Old 01-09-2008 | 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

If something is wrong now, I'M selling my car.
Old 01-09-2008 | 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

I think Im putting my money on the O ring....c'mon easy fix dont fail me now!
Old 01-09-2008 | 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

i still think it is the galley plug like i mentioned.....
Old 01-09-2008 | 06:40 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Then I would say galley or something in the pick up tube..
I think it's one of those two issues also. You may also want to remember if the o ring is pinched that they're two available. One is an early model and a newer, thicker one.

Where you cleaning it and maybe forgot to take a rag or paper towel out.. LOL...
Anyone remember the thread a while ago about the guy who left a paper towel in his oil pan and couldn't figure it out?
Old 01-09-2008 | 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

WTF i have been following tainted's episode with this motor since the first thread that vendetta closed and moved!!
Over a year now!!
I have tried to be as supportive as I could offering as much technical advise as I could, even a lil more than that, Charles knows I wanted him to be back on the road again. i was young too with a blown Fbody in the garage and no loot!

I sent the link that Speedinc had on the Midwest section about the motor, I have talked to Frazier over the Last year since I started modding my ride and seems like a cool guy. I have pretty much bought most of my stuff there. I just feel BAD now with all the stuff that has happened since then. I know charles has made a few mistakes along the way. but if it goes or never works! I would really feel BAD!
Old 01-09-2008 | 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I think it's one of those two issues also. You may also want to remember if the o ring is pinched that they're two available. One is an early model and a newer, thicker one.

Anyone remember the thread a while ago about the guy who left a paper towel in his oil pan and couldn't figure it out?
That is it, i threw out 3 options

1)Oil Galley Plug Is Missing
2)Bad O-Ring
3)Clogged Pick Up Tube

that is sort of where i got the idea from, i think there was a thread a while back about that.

I hope Charles gets his problem fixed. I have been trying to throw out as many ideas as possible
Old 01-09-2008 | 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fraser, I need an answer, im not pointing any fingers what-so ever at anyone. I had the timing lifters and pushrods in a seperate box, then the rotating assembly, and the heads. Is there any reason you would have taken that rear oil plug out?
Old 01-09-2008 | 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok im about to ******* scream. I have a picture below, and in the red circle is I dunno what. someone verify is thats this rear oil gallery plug everyones talking about...

Old 01-09-2008 | 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

you will need to remove the trans

Cant tell.....How bout now
uuhh I think it does look OUT!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Puzzling problem - please read!