Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To cut or not to cut(lower airbox)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To cut or not to cut(lower airbox)

i'm switching from a flathood (TA) and stock lower air intake to a ws6 hood and air intake. I had the old lower cut so air in front of the radiator could come in. Should i cut the new lower air intake the same way or leave it alone. i'm working on pics but i haven't figured out my camera yet.

And also should the very tip of the hood be hanging over the front bumper like in the second pic?

Last edited by mxmccarter2401; 12-27-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt cut because of all that crap the filter gets after cuting it
Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no your hood should not be hanging like that...your alignment is off on your hood...

also i would cut the hole and get some sort of ftra or ssra that is where you are going to get the most power...the ram air hood and air box are really not going to give you any gains...muck more air is supplied below the car...check out ftra or ssra for what i mean or look at my sig for an extreme rep...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine was completely cut out by the previous owner of my car and I don't like it but I live with it as it only causes minor problems. As it will allow hot air to rush across the radiator and into the intake causing huge heat soak when you are in traffic, it allows the filter to get dirty as hell really fast, and it will soak the filter with water when driving in the rain. If you do do it be ready to change the filters often and understand that in the rain the filter will soak with water and can cause surging at idle.

If you buy a FTRA or SSRA or build a ram air box like chrs1313 did it will at least help limit the heat soak issues and provide a more productive and positive ram air effect then just cutting everything out.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would cut..I have the same set-up and it works..
Old 12-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Both of my cars have the boxes cut. I've never seen my filter get wet other than when I wash the SS and water runs down into the hood Ram Air. I say go for it.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

don't cut, seal it instead! do a search on sealing your air intake to your hood. it will suck it through the nostrils then.....
Old 12-28-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

shouldnt be hanging over like that, and dont cut that! nothing beats the look of the ws6 hood
Old 12-28-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut it You get mass more air flow you could always get some sheet metal and build your own scoop in front of the radiator but make sure there is a gap between it and the radiator so your radiator can get air.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's what I did. I bought the taller airbox from www.gmpartsdirect.com ($80 and change with shipping )and installed it to get the direct cooler air charge from the nose ... the way it was originally designed by GM Engineering. Pulling air (via the lower air dam) from a couple inches off the pavement introduces hotter air into the intake, which affects your IAT numbers, which in turn, costs you in performance.

Also, by not cutting the bottom out of the taller airbox I ordered and installed, more air is pushed through the radiator, giving better crossflow of air to the radiator and transmisson oil cooler, keeping your motor AND tranny cooler, thus, producing better power and cooler trans temps. Hope this helps. I'm not that smart, as most of this information comes form others' common sense and scientific proof.

Of course, there's always some dick-jacker who will come and dispute EVERYTHING. So, this is my honest opinion and what worked very well for my car. It's all subjective in nature as to the affects it would have on any other car out there. Hope this helps you.

P.S: I live in the South, so, air off the pavement gets extemely hot.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Here is what I fabbed up...it pulls air from the two holes in the Camaro front bumper...did this almost 2 years ago and it works great. IAT's are kept around ambiant which is especially important in the staging lanes. Cutting the lower airbox lets a lot of hot air into the intake and runs IAT's off the charts.

On a daily driver filter cleaning would be as routine as changing oil I'm afraid. It gets really dirty and it helps to have a k&n style filter that can be washed. Also the k&n oil will repel a little water in case of a rainstorm. I've driven in the rain a couple of times and water doesn't really make it to the filter anyway.
Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

^^^creative i like that design.....you should get a how-to for that
Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Here is a how to that I did and other information from guys that did this before me...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/474888-homemade-camaro-ram-air-pics.html
Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't cut any thing. Just remove the hood baffles and add some type of filler seal between the hood and the front of the air box.
As for you hood the overhang over is correct, that is normal. The front of the hood is not intended to line up with the edge of the bumper. As you can see your gap between the head light and hood is correct.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The SUX2BU is hard to beat, I gained like 3mph over the gutted lower airbox (FRA) and lid setup. Its cheap to do also.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
mine was completely cut out by the previous owner of my car and I don't like it but I live with it as it only causes minor problems. As it will allow hot air to rush across the radiator and into the intake causing huge heat soak when you are in traffic, it allows the filter to get dirty as hell really fast, and it will soak the filter with water when driving in the rain. If you do do it be ready to change the filters often and understand that in the rain the filter will soak with water and can cause surging at idle.
Even when sitting at idle the ellectric fans are pulling air through the radiator. Unless your air intake is on the back side of the radiator your not getting any heat soak. You will get more dirt leaves ect. but that only proves that the modification works. Also, you dont have to worry about water unless you submerge the front of your car.

I have cut the bottom out of every fourth gen F-body I have owned with good results.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wanted to do this, but then i see everyone's mixed feelings about it, so i dont end up doing it...
Old 01-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Launching!

thanks for your help everyone.

Quick Reply: To cut or not to cut(lower airbox)