Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Stingers on an FBOD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Stingers on an FBOD?

ok i love the borla stinger cat back on every car i hear it on. Do they make a kit for our cars? I have a 96 WS6 and i would love the whole set up like a c6; the catted x-pipe and stinger cat back. Or like the mustangs. But all i keep hearing about is a BORLAMOUTH. Please someone clear up m confusion. Whats a borla mouth and how does it compare to a catted x-pipe stinger CB set up? Does anyone make a catted x-pipe for our cars? That would be a great start
Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

borlamouth i beleive is the borla xr-1 with the LM2? or LM1, it reduces drone/rasp from what ive heard. im researching exhausts myself ;D
Old 02-24-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the loudest bullet muffler
Old 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone have any info on the borla mouth? Like a video..... anyone know what catted x-pipe will work?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A "borlamouth" is nothing but a Loudmouth catback with the resonator swapped for an XR-1 muffler so it's slightly quieter. It won't sound even close to stingers on an X-pipe because it requires a y-pipe to do so.

If you want stingers on an X-pipe, you're going to have to have someone to custom fabricate you an X-pipe with cats welded in, then you'll have to bolt up 2 stingers somewhere and pray they fit okay. It's not an easy job to do that to an F-body, and no matter what you do, it's not going to sound like stingers on a Corvette due to harmonic differences in the chassis and because of the F-body chassis, it's impossible to run equal length tubes on each side of an X-pipe. Everything will be different on the F-body, even if you use the exact same setup, because the bends in the X-pipe will be different, the muffler placement will be different, the length of the pipes in the X-pipe will be different, the harmonic properties of the F-body chassis will be different, plus the Corvette LS1 has a different camshaft than the F-body LS1 in 98-00 models if you own one of those year F-body's. All this will amount to significant sound differences.

I'm not trying to discourange you from doing this. By all means, give it a shot if you wish. Just don't expect it to sound just like a Corvette, and it's not going to be even close to a Mustang I'm afraid. But that doesn't mean you won't love the sound!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

I have that setup on my car except its not catted and on stock manifolds. Ill post up some pics here in a few minutes
Old 02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Not the best picture but here it is http://i29.tinypic.com/wcl7ps.jpg
Old 02-25-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

crimsonwarrior- can we get a sound clip?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

I have a duals setup w/ the XR1's. Jet Hot Longtubes, 2.5" X-Pipe, Out back, and over the axle into Borla XR1's

Soundclip--->http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=2947

Old 02-26-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh guys where did you get those x-pipes and will it bolt up to an lt1?

Also- i know it wont sound like a corvette i was just saying this system on a corvette sounds better that any other sytem ive heard for them and same as cobras and basically all other cars ive heard it on. So the same loginc should be applied to our f bods.

You guys also really need some in car videos and outside drive away/ drive by videos
Old 02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evilZO6
oh guys where did you get those x-pipes and will it bolt up to an lt1?

Also- i know it wont sound like a corvette i was just saying this system on a corvette sounds better that any other sytem ive heard for them and same as cobras and basically all other cars ive heard it on. So the same loginc should be applied to our f bods.

You guys also really need some in car videos and outside drive away/ drive by videos
These guys either went and bought a universal X-pipe/X-merge from somewhere like Dr. Gas or Summit and had the rest of the exhaust fabbed at a shop or they had the exhaust shop make everything including the X-merge.

You'd have to have the whole exhaust custom tailored to your car.

Quick Reply: Borla Stingers on an FBOD?