Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Tensioner Pulley Replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Tensioner Pulley Replacement ?

Any one know if I can just buy the pulley or do i have to purchase the assembly for this product? I just replaced the main tensioner pulley and idler pulley, and upon purchasing the main tensioner I didn't need to purchase assembly.
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced both pulleys for my AC, they told me I had to buy the whole tensioner unit cause the pulley is pressed on.....BULLSHIT!!. The pulleys are the same, I just bought 2 of the idler pulleys bolted them up and it was good to go. Even the bearing # for these pulleys are the same.

GM#12557335
Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Is this the pulley that is basically a duplicate of the idler pulley? Just making sure before I purchase.....I'm just being cautious
Thanks in advance
also did u use dust covers on any of them.

Last edited by jcvett56; 02-27-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Okay now I'm confused beyond belief.....I just bought another idler pulley and went to take off my AC tensioner pulley set up and noticed that the two aren't even close to being identical....The idler pulley is about twice the width?
How did you pull this off? And i only noticed one pulley that could be taken off and changed...the tensioner one, above you stated that there are two?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright on your AC belt you have a idler pulley and a tensioner pulley, these both use the same pulleys. These run just on your AC belt. The tensioner and idler for your serpentine belt is quite larger. I tried to snap a pic but I had a hard time getting to them. The pulley on the top is your idler and the lower pulley is your tensioner. Again these are just for the AC belt and not the serpentine belt.
Attached Thumbnails AC Tensioner Pulley Replacement ?-ac-pulley.jpg  
Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also I could not find the correct pulley at any auto store, every time I went to one they gave me the pulleys for the serpentine system. These two pulleys are both larger and the idler/tensioner(cant remember which one) has the 6 ribs in it. I had to go to our GM dealership to order them, the GM part # is 12557335.

Troy
Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jcvett56

Is this the pulley that is basically a duplicate of the idler pulley? Just making sure before I purchase.....I'm just being cautious
Thanks in advance
also did u use dust covers on any of them.
Yes that is the pulley, and yes you use the dust cover for the tensioner. I don't believe the idler has one.

Troy
Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

I'm getting ready to order the tensioner pulley but if I remember the two aren't the same, it's been a while... From the looks of it the idler has a lip...Would using the same pulley for both work?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Super Speed
I'm getting ready to order the tensioner pulley but if I remember the two aren't the same, it's been a while... From the looks of it the idler has a lip...Would using the same pulley for both work?

Yes they are both the same, and both use the same bearing # on the AC belt. Your tensioner for the serpentine belt will be larger, and a different bearing #.

Troy
Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

I found them online for 31.79
www.rockauto.com just thought I'd let people save 50$ from buying them at a dealership!

I ruined both of them trying to install the pulleys the bastards at autozone told were the ones... 60 dollars later I hope my a/c doesn't squeak!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could just take it apart and re-grease your old one.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bene
You could just take it apart and re-grease your old one.
I did but they still squeaked! If this doesn't work I might have to order a new ac clutch pulley
Old 06-19-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by badass99ss
Alright on your AC belt you have a idler pulley and a tensioner pulley, these both use the same pulleys. These run just on your AC belt. The tensioner and idler for your serpentine belt is quite larger. I tried to snap a pic but I had a hard time getting to them. The pulley on the top is your idler and the lower pulley is your tensioner. Again these are just for the AC belt and not the serpentine belt.
You took this picture on my birthday 21 years in the future haha

Quick Reply: AC Tensioner Pulley Replacement ?