Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new battery, which one

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need new battery, which one

my battery took a crap and some how corrosion ate away the positive battery terminal so i need a new battery and new terminals

what is a good battery that is fairly inexpensive. the battery is staying in the stock location and i dont have the money for a lightweight one

thanks

ryan
Old 08-04-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need new battery, which one

I prefer die hard gold.I had a restored 65 buick riviera that i would let sit for a year at a time. A shot of ether and it would fire right up. I tried all kinds of batteries and am sold on the die hard gold.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

They're not really "inexpensive" but I love my Optima red top. Great battery.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

lightweight does not mean expensive! I bought a SVR 14 (weight is 11.5 lbs) that is very light for any battery. it is considered a motorcycle battery but i have had it in my car for a year now with no problems at all. I even started my car with a cold engine when the outside temp was around 30 F burrrrrr I dont like those temps.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Launching!

I've had the Die Hard Gold in my car for 3 years now....had worked fine so far....

I would like to try a lightweight battery next time around...
Old 08-05-2003, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to the dealer I got the AC delco. I have never had a problem with. I even received a compliment on how strong it was from Mikey at rapid motorsports right before he tuned my car.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i just got a napa so well see how it does

thanks for the input though
Old 08-05-2003, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

another vote for optima red top!!! they last forever, i had my fans on a switch and left them on high for 3-4 hr. and the car still started right up!!!!!!! and those fans pull some juice on high!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Optima Red here too
Old 08-07-2003, 06:16 AM
Launching!

Die Hard & Optima are the 2 worst batteries out there!!(bad designs and/or quality)
Old 08-07-2003, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depends where u live. When i was in Ohio, I used a 750 amp battery (Enough power to crank a battle ship) because in sub zero weather the bat. (550 amps) went flat after a couple of cranks.
As far as light weight DYNAMAX or is it DYNABAT (LOL). drycell battery, 12.5 lbs.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a DuraLast battery from Auto Zone. After doing a little research on batteries, I found out that Johnson Controls makes the Auto Zone batteries, and theyre considered to be pretty good batteries. I am happy with it so far.

As for your problem, I had the exact same thing happen with my positive terminal. It got so corroded that when I took off the positive wire, the terminal from the actual battery came with it. I had to soak it overnight in a baking soda and water solution to eat away the corrosion, then I was able to get the terminal off the wire with Vice-Grips. The red cover slips off the wire, exposing the bare metal under neath. I took my wire rimmed Dremel bit and grinded away all the rest of the corrosion til I had a fresh layer of shiny copper. Put it all back together wtih a new battery and it works like a champ.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Die Hard & Optima are the 2 worst batteries out there!!(bad designs and/or quality)
Why? What would you recomend and why?.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why? What would you recomend and why?.
I also had a red top optima battery go bad after 13 months.I had it replaced for free at the shop I got it from.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:18 AM
Launching!

I bought a DuraLast battery from Auto Zone. After doing a little research on batteries, I found out that Johnson Controls makes the Auto Zone batteries, and theyre considered to be pretty good batteries. I am happy with it so far.

Johnson control does make a decent battery. However they are not the only supplier for Auto Zone. Look at the "serial" number on the side of the lid. If it was pinstamped, it was probably made by E.P.M., if it was melted in, it could be a JC or something else.

Optimas use a spiral plate design that , to make a long story short, weakens the plates right off the bat.

Diehard, the manufacturer of these just plain out doesn't care about quality at all. They also use expanded metal tech., except for their marine batts, which is just plain awful. Their plates are not casted. They are stretched to size and have no frame.

That's the short explanation

For those of you who will say: "well, mine lasted 3 years, no problems yet" Guess what.....even a blind squirel finds a nut once in a while.

P.S. remember one thing when buying a battery. It's purpose in life is to work without flaw until the day the warrenty expires............and than, TAKE A ****

MAULER
Old 08-08-2003, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about Optima yellow?

How about any deep cells anyone would recommend?

I have a habit of leaving electronics on in my car long term... I could be outside with the stereo on for hours and not realize it for example.

TIA
Dave
Old 08-08-2003, 01:46 PM
Launching!

I have had my current optima red top going on 6 years in august and it is still going strong. I have a 700 watt stereo system and have played the stereo for hours at a time with the car off and never has it not cranked up the first time! Now all of my family's cars have optimas.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Muskratmauler, I am getting ready to get a new battery, what kind would you recomend? I do not care about price, i just do not want to get stuck out in B.F.E with a dead battery.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Here is a post for a SVR 24-12 battery. I think this is a good compromise between light weight and cranking power. It fits the stock battery tray front-to-back with a couple minutes of file work on the tray. You'll have to inprovise a little with a hold down clamp. Auto Zone has adaptors for the top terminals.

I don't think I would leave the stereo on for hours with any battery. But if that's what you like to do, then a small battery won't work.

http://www.svrbatteries.com/battery_page.php?bid=21
Old 08-10-2003, 07:53 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Heat! It is the ultimate enemy of the modern non-serviceable battery. Dude you are down in Florida, just like me. I had the same thing happen. Replace the cable! These things boil over thru the vent holes and run down the pos cable eating it from the inside out. Two years, any battery on a car that gets regular runs out in say bumper to bumper traffic. There are only three battery manufactures in North America. They have a North and South diletric formula. If you bought a car that has the date stamp, North then you have the Northern formula that will boil over sooner than the southern one. Bottom line, just another thing to keep up with regular maintenance. Nothing last forever.