Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut-out Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cut-out Info Needed

I guess we can use this as the "Depot" for all cut-out related question if you want. Post Pics too!

I feel like such a noob asking these questions; but here it goes:

I bought my Magnaflow exhaust b/c my SLP D/D was too damn quiet so i wanted something louder and i didn't wnat to spend +/- $800 for a Borla system. Don't get me wrong; i do like my magnaflow system, it is louder then the SLP D/D but i just wish it was a lil louder at times. Right now i have the Stock Manafolds w/ stock cats. I thought about selling my magnaflow system; but even if i got $300 for it i would still need another $500 for the Borla system and that is w/o the electric c/o. I thought about just waiting until i get headers; but i don't know how long it will be until i can drop $1,500 on the headers and catted-y (**** you NJ; **** you very much ), + money for install and tune.

Ok; i read a post on here about someone whose cutout caused a fire in his car b/c his car shot flames. Now granted the flames were caused by no cats, and a rich/lean mixture, and the fire was b/c the system wasn't dumped; it pointed at the rear where grease was. Obviosuly c/o's are safe b/c 95% of the ppl on here have them.

My question(s) is: Are there and do's and don'ts when it comes to these things. Any recomended positions in the I-Pipe (forward or back), angle of the c/o and dump, side it is on (left/right), recomended ways to run the wires for the electric c/o? i obviously don't want to melt any wires or hoses/lines, and i don't want to have the heat hit my floor pan and give me "problems".

Also; when i bought my Magnaflow kit i was missing the clamp that goes aroud the I-Pipe and the inlet of the muffller; as a result the I-Pipe is welded to the muffler; am i fucked, can i still put in a c/o?

Please post pics of your setup if you can. LS2Bait has a nice one; so i will start the pic posting:
Originally Posted by ls2 bait
ya the dump keeps it away from the n2o line and cutout wire.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.not-a-sponsor.com/

That link will get you to the DMH website for info and photos...if you have any more questions call Dave at DMH and he will answer any of your questions...he is agreat guy to deal with and he manufacturers the best electric cut out on the market and it comes with a 4 year warranty...I have been runiing his product for 3 years and it works like a champ..

Last edited by WILWAXU; 06-04-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

run the wiring through the drain plug on the floor rear passenger side
Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im guessing that dump is a seperate piece? Good idea tho, when I get around to a cutout ill need to find one of those.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I i were you i would sell my magnaflow catback, put the stock catback back on, and do a cutout. Then with the money you have left over you could probably do a off road y pipe..best bet IMO and you can have the car quiet and loud whenever you chose. I say just get a manual cutout and save some money. I figured i would keep my cutout manual and stop being lazy and save myself 150 bones ya know what im sayin?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please do not post links non-sponsor websites.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
I i were you i would sell my magnaflow catback, put the stock catback back on, and do a cutout. Then with the money you have left over you could probably do a off road y pipe..best bet IMO and you can have the car quiet and loud whenever you chose. I say just get a manual cutout and save some money. I figured i would keep my cutout manual and stop being lazy and save myself 150 bones ya know what im sayin?
I would...but...i no longer have my stock SLP D/D c/b . I mean I'm happy with my Magnaflow i just want it louder at times. I think a c/o is my best option now; i'm just worried about melting something or buring something. That is why im asking people for advice on location and setup to avdoid any possible issues.

has anyone had any issue with their cutout; i DON"T mean with their e-cutout, i mean the actual "pipe" cutout. Any issues with things getting too hot, melting, fires?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MY DMH e-cut out went out after less than 6 months i ket the wiring but i threw the cut out away!
Old 06-04-2008, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

My cutout is in the i-pipe right about where the passanger back seat is. It is facing out to the passanger side...It doesnt have a turn down or w/e and my car backfires a lot especially on the highway.. I have a lot of friends that have cutouts and have never had any problems with a fire or anything of that nature..since you sold your slp catback you could just try to buy a stock catback from someone for like 50 bucks, then get a cutout welded in. Also get some new tips on your catback if you dont like the ones the new catback has.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

or if you want just add a cutout to your car just the way it is. You WONT have a problem with a fire i garantee it
Old 06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
or if you want just add a cutout to your car just the way it is. You WONT have a problem with a fire i garantee it
how about melting things or making the floorboard to hot? Is it all dependant on the angle of the c/o pipe? it WILL have a turndown.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also; what about the fact that my I-Pipe is welded to my damn muffler. Can a c/o still be welded in place?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Default here's mine, no turn down

Old 06-04-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billyb

any heat issues?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

mines never open long enough to have heat issues , but i like to flip the switch at a light and see the look on thier face in the car next to you when you tach it up !!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, seriously tho, anyone have/had or heard of anyone having heat issues?
im just tryin to get all the info
Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^
anyone?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

I havent ever had heat issues or ever head of anyone who has..I drive with my cutout open 75% of the time cause its not my DD, and ive never had any issues..A buddy and I were out last night beating on our cars for awhile and it was backfiring and going to red line a lot when i closed my cutout before i put her in her bed, it wasnt even hot above on the floorboard.
You have no worries, so go and spend 50-60 bucks and get that cutout on!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dd my car with my cutout always open and have never had a heat issue.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have had too many different exhaust setups on my f-bodys and have come to the conclusion that nothing beats the convenience of getting a stock muffler or slp d/d setup and running electric cutouts if you have a street car. especially here in norcal, cops are on the lookout for loud exhausts and mods.

there's nothing more nerve racking than pulling up to a light next to a cop with loud true duals and a huge lopey cam ...

if you could care less about how loud the exhaust is, go with a td setup as the sound is as good as it gets.