Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP catted y install help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TSP catted y install help

So I just spent the day doing my hooker header install, started at 8 in the morning and finish at about 4pm. The headers went in like a breeze and I didn't have any problems like people have said to wait out for (props to hooker). Now I'm working on the catted y and I think I have it set up right, but I have way too much room from the floorboard to the y-pipe, which makes me think the y pipe is hanging way too low. Here are some pictures of how it looks right now, let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. Also, it looks like I'm gonna have to cut the I-pipe about 8 inches because the y-pipe is much longer than the stock one. Is this normal? Please answer back as soon as possible because I want to try and finish this tonight.

Pics:

Last edited by NJNETSFAN; 06-16-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: pictures added
Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to guess that you have the first pipe off of the header on the driver's side upside down. It's angled to tuck up and if it's upside down it might be the problem. I had one of these on my car and it fit ok but I didn't have enough ground clearance for it. And it was the right length to fit the factory and aftermarket catbacks so I don't think you should have to cut it. BUT I have pacesetters and not hookers so not sure if it will fit the same on hookers.

Edit: make sure the pipe marked L1 is connected to the header. I can't tell but it looks like it might not be in the right place. And you will have to remove the flimsy factory crossbrace piece.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

One more thing, do you have the pipe slipped over the collectors? It looks like it's not on far enough.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaveX
One more thing, do you have the pipe slipped over the collectors? It looks like it's not on far enough.
Everything is just kinda laying there. I noticed that I didn't take the cross piece off by the trans and on tsp's site it shows that that is off and that will give me a few more inches. I do have the pipe labelled L1 on backwards, but it actually fits pretty well. Obviously I have something wrong and I'm gonna go back in the garage and mess around with it some more. I'll check back in like a half an hour with some updates.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

It has to slip over the headers and go about as far forward as possible, not just heald on by the clamps. I think that is the first issue, and make sure you have the front drivers side pipe on correctly. The L1 pipe connects to the header, then a connector pipe, then the cat is downstream. It's a pain in the *** but it should fit.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

It has to slip over the headers and go about as far forward as possible, not just heald on by the clamps. I think that is the first issue, and make sure you have the front drivers side pipe on correctly. The L1 pipe connects to the header, then a connector pipe, then the cat is downstream. It's a pain in the *** but it should fit.
Well I was talking in the 2nd post without going and checking. It turns out I had the L1 pipe on right. I just pushed everything together the best I could and clamped it down. I had to cut about 6 inches off the magnaflow system for it to go on the y-pipe. Everything is back together and running and the car is on the ground. Now I just need to adjust the y-pipe so that I have more ground clearance. Right now I only have 4 inches of ground clearance at most. I will post updated pictures of my ground clearance issues as soon as I have them hosted.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Here are the pics:

Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck with it. Man I hate to tell you but something doesn't look right to me. It looks like the Y is not slip fit over the header collectors and the whole thing needs to go forward quite a bit. Are you sure the headers went into the Y and it's not just held on by the clamps? On the passenger side, the Y should fit up into the heat shield; it would need to go forward for this to happen, and I also don't think you should have had to cut the I pipe. It also should not be that low if it's properly connected to the headers. Exhaust on these cars is a pain. It's the one thing I really don't like about the factory design (not enough room) and aftermarket availability (very limited). I'm on my 3rd Y and 3rd catback to try to get a good fit and sound I'm happy with and I'm still not there on the fit. But at least I finally got it to sound good.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Good luck with it. Man I hate to tell you but something doesn't look right to me. It looks like the Y is not slip fit over the header collectors and the whole thing needs to go forward quite a bit. Are you sure the headers went into the Y and it's not just held on by the clamps? On the passenger side, the Y should fit up into the heat shield; it would need to go forward for this to happen, and I also don't think you should have had to cut the I pipe. It also should not be that low if it's properly connected to the headers. Exhaust on these cars is a pain. It's the one thing I really don't like about the factory design (not enough room) and aftermarket availability (very limited). I'm on my 3rd Y and 3rd catback to try to get a good fit and sound I'm happy with and I'm still not there on the fit. But at least I finally got it to sound good.
At this point all I can do is laugh, because that is exactly my problem. I don't have the y-pipe on the headers, I had the band clamps holding them on. I really didn't think I did it wrong because the y-pipe and header was that exact same outside diameter so I figured thats what the band clamps were. I'm gonna mess around with it tomorrow and see how good I can get it tucked up and then I'll probably take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld everything up. THere is no way I'm going to leave the car like it is, but surprisingly I'm not bottoming out as much as I thought I would.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Damn you got zero ground clearance, or is it just the angle? Contact Texas Speed they have great customer service to help you out.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by schronk
Damn you got zero ground clearance, or is it just the angle? Contact Texas Speed they have great customer service to help you out.
I plan on calling them later on today, but I think dave have is it right. I have great ground clearance by the headers, but then its all downhill from there.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Yeah, it just doesn't look right. My tsp catted y fits like ****, but nothing like yours.

I had to spent 30 minutes or so figuring out the correct layout before I even bothered trying to install it on the car. Even then I had to fight with it some to get it on right. And my catback barely goes on the y.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
I plan on calling them later on today, but I think dave have is it right. I have great ground clearance by the headers, but then its all downhill from there.
If you call them they should be able to help, you might have a bad Y hope it all works out for you.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by schronk
If you call them they should be able to help, you might have a bad Y hope it all works out for you.
I bought the y-pipe second hand so I don't think I can get TSP to do anything for me. I'm gonna take it to an exhaust shop tomorrow to see what they can do. As long as I can get the job done for under $100 and have about 5 inches of ground clearance I'll be happy, if not, I may just go with an ORY because these cats are huge.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
I bought the y-pipe second hand so I don't think I can get TSP to do anything for me. I'm gonna take it to an exhaust shop tomorrow to see what they can do. As long as I can get the job done for under $100 and have about 5 inches of ground clearance I'll be happy, if not, I may just go with an ORY because these cats are huge.
Well my TSP ory fits great with good ground clearance.