Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust volume...How loud is too loud?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust volume...How loud is too loud?!

I've got an 01 Ws6 with QTP headers on the way + Y-pipe. I was leading towards the SLP kit, but I'm hearing (from people) how loud the SLP kit is. I am some-what concerned about going SLP if its going to be incredibly loud as this is my DD (for now)...

Are the borla's worth getting so i can control volume, has anyone else had to sell their exhuast setup simply because of volume being too loud?

So anyway, any exhaust suggestions if SLP is going to be too rediculously loud?!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Banned

SLP has a few exhaust set ups you know. Which one?
I'll assume you mean the loud mouth.

I had the LM1 in my car with an other wise stock exhaust, I liked it, but the bitch in the passenger seat didn't when she was on her phone.
If thats of any measure besides getting into decibel readings, you pretty much can't hear and talk on the phone driving straight down a flat highway.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah th eloudmouths with headers are to loud especially for a daily driver, youre neigbors will **** brixs in there beds at first start up in the early morning before its warmed up. it's liveable but why deal with it? that and the cops at least in my area are itching to look under any ones hood these days.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Hmm...Damn, So i guess I'm not doing loudmouths. I would do an electric cutout but i hear those things tend to fail after short periods of time...

Can anyone attest to the Borla volume-adjustable kits? Just wondering how well they work & control sound...?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

I've been down the Loudmouth 1, Loudmouth 2 then BorlaMouth road. I read alot of posts on here about Magnaflow, Hooker, GMMG, Borla etc and all I got was confused.

So... I went to Jegs and bought the new(ish) Gibson catback on sale for ~$275 and I reall, really like it. Totally acceptable for a dd and sounds tough at wot. My mods are below. Just got tired of rasp, drone and having to be cautious with the noise.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

the loudmouth is very loud with headers. because the loudmouth resonator is basically a stainless steel straight pipe. there is nothing in it to tone down the noise. the loudmouth 2 however is fine for a DD with headers and ory. and if you are willing to fork out the cash for a borla then i would get the GMMG. it sounds far better than any borla. but all that matters is which sound you prefer. so pick what you like

Last edited by mean_greenZ; 09-01-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

with LT headers, ORY, and loudmouth 1 or 2 it will be LOUD. Just like c5z28 said it will scare the **** out of your neighbors on cold start up. Dont get me wrong, i love the sound and it make the car sound bad ***.

But...couple tickets later i had to switch over to the Hooker CB. I love it now
Old 09-01-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

yea, I have long tubes, ory and lm1 and its pretty freakin loud.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the lm1 with heads and cam, yea it was loud lol, i put a lm2 in there and took away the rasp and now its dd
Old 09-01-2008, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Cool thanks for the response guys! couple more Q's...

This Gibson exhuast sounds nice, i know that i want to stay away from the rasp more than the volume, but that's obviously a very big deal too...but the drone doesnt bother me allllll that bad, but maybe it will eventually get to me...

1. Sound/vidz clip of the said gibson exhaust?
2. What model is the Gibson you have? there are several @ Jegs website...
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10249_-1_10245
3. What the hell is ory (obviously I'm a ls1tech newb...)

Thanks again
Old 09-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

I DD my Z28 with LT's and true duals... its not that loud to me. Also I used to DD my 04 Cobra with an OR X and LM1's... that was louder then my Z... but i was always lookin to make it louder... I dunno... guess i just like loud cars
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

currently running lm2 w/ LTs o/r Y and its nowhere near as loud as the lm1. its not rasp free but it does sound very good and isnt as loud as people make it out to be my cutout makes the lm2 sound like they arent there, but the idle with the cutout/cam is well......
Old 09-01-2008, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

ory= off road y pipe
orx= off road x pipe
off road = no cats
Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blown03mustang
...my cutout makes the lm2 sound like they arent there, but the idle with the cutout/cam is well......
See i was leaning away from electronic cutouts for 2 reasons.

1. Because i hear they tend to fail
2. Because the stock exhaust tips makes the rear end look soo lonely

I can deal with the rear end looking empty with the stock tips and just pray the electronic cutouts dont consistantly fail. But I'm really digging this Y-pipe!!

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...21c973a40814d8

And thanks for the orx, orx, or, explainations.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dumped exhaust is pretty loud. But thats the way I like it. 0 tickets to date.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quickblue2
See i was leaning away from electronic cutouts for 2 reasons.

1. Because i hear they tend to fail
2. Because the stock exhaust tips makes the rear end look soo lonely

I can deal with the rear end looking empty with the stock tips and just pray the electronic cutouts dont consistantly fail. But I'm really digging this Y-pipe!!

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...21c973a40814d8

And thanks for the orx, orx, or, explainations.

depends on brand for the cutout, mines been working fine for the past year and the car sits out in an open parking lot. rain, snow, salt, you name it, its been through it all. i agree though, stock tips look like ****. however, the stock catback lets you get around without attracting too much attention, which is really nice when you have a police station right down the road
Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got pacesetter headers, cleaned up ORY (pacesetter left alot of material there), and a GMMG catback.

It's loud as hell when getting on it. But I was pleasantly suprised that cruise at 30mph or even 65mph is not that bad at all. The two chambered mufflers must really help with reducing that noise.

My car is louder then a stock manifold/LM1 car at WOT, but much more quiet then that same car at constant cruise rpms.

Win/Win. But be prepared, if you don't like loud acceleration this wouldn't be for you. But it's the best of both worlds for me.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loud is what you can live with.

It doesn't matter what others say about your exhaust, if you can't live with it, it's too loud.

I didn't understand this until I ran bullets out the back on true duals with longtubes. Loud as hell. Sounded big mean scary. On a 1hr cruise though, not being able to converse with the passenger with windows closed was an issue. Not being able to hear my stereo without risk of going deft was an issue. I put on single chamber full size mufflers on back and love my cruise now but it gets loud when I get on it.

LS1Sounds.com is a good resource, but doesn't convey the dB you will experience. I would use that as a resource for the type of exhaust note you are looking for.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by quickblue2
Cool thanks for the response guys! couple more Q's...

This Gibson exhuast sounds nice, i know that i want to stay away from the rasp more than the volume, but that's obviously a very big deal too...but the drone doesnt bother me allllll that bad, but maybe it will eventually get to me...

1. Sound/vidz clip of the said gibson exhaust?
2. What model is the Gibson you have? there are several @ Jegs website...
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10249_-1_10245
3. What the hell is ory (obviously I'm a ls1tech newb...)

Thanks again
quickblue,

That's the right page. Click on Gibson American Muscle Car and that is the one I am running.I see the price went up some, though. It was an easy, well fitting install and the welds and workmanship is very, very nice. It comes with nice 4" intercooled tips as well. I do not have any soundclips yet but there are a couple on their website done with a Camaro. Not a great clip.

After three other "too loud" exhaust setups, I am very pleased with the Gibson and I would recommend it to my friends.

By the way- The Loudmouth 2 with headers and ory IS ******' loud after the little bit of baffling "breaks in". Hence the change to the Borla XR-1 muffler.

Try it, you will like it. If not, at least you will be unique.

Next time, I will do some type of true duals.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

If your ears start bleeding......then it's too loud.

Quick Reply: Exhaust volume...How loud is too loud?!