Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Headers vs. SLP LT's

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP Headers vs. SLP LT's

I have a question that some may consider rather dumb. I have the SLP lt headers with RT cats and Magnaflow catback. I've been doing a lot of reading on the QTP's. Next spring, I plan on a H/C swap. Do any of you think that a swap from the SLP's to the QTP's would provide a significant increase in performance, HP and torque? Would a swap like that really be worth it?
Old 09-10-2003, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: QTP Headers vs. SLP LT's

Try doing a search on "SLP headers" and see what you can find. I know I've seen a few posts that showed good gains on big H/C motors by switching from SLP to QTP/Grot. headers. Not really sure what SLP was thinking making those headers so twisty trying to get the primaries all the same length.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

for the money they want plus the wait time, i dont think it worth it.

You would see some Hp though over SLPs
Old 09-10-2003, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLPs, IMO, do not perform anywhere near as well as all the other LT headers on the market. IMO, I would DEFINATELY do the switch to QTP or any other LT header.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:27 PM
JTM
TECH Regular

Didn't PSJ switch from slp's to flp's and gain nothing? I think I remember him posting that back in the day.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I say get rid of the SLP LT's and go with another LT QTP,Hooker,etc...will see increase in power and performance with a swap!!Thats just my .02 worth!!
Old 09-10-2003, 12:50 PM
Teching In

O.k. I see someone one else as sort of the same situation as me. I am still stock manifolds and am trying to determine which header to get. I have a 2000 Hawk. I do not race it it sits in the garage most of the time. I am wanting to go with QTP and found out if I use there Y and cats I might have to cut the I pipe. If I go with SLP I won't have to do anything. I Know people really bitch about the SLP but I have a car I do not want to cut up to put an extra 5 horses in. How about that added to the topic.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:56 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cutting the I-pipe is a non-factor.
I'd go for the QTP's and their dual elec. cutout Y.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

So leave it stock if you don't want to "cut it up." It's just a piece of exhaust pipe. It's not going to devalue the car anymore than just installing headers.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:14 PM
dug
Banned

QTP 1 7/8" headers should give you some nice gains.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Sorry, Did not have time to finish post and did not want to take over the thread. Cutting the I pipe is a factor. The car is a 2000 formula hawk. According to SLP 1 of 1 with my option's and 1 of 2 white formulas from 2000 and only 1 of 47 formulas made that year. O.k. so it sound's **** but if the time comes I want to return it to stock I do not want to weld a piece to the I pipe. Plus if I wanted to leave it stock I guess I would not have asked the question. I guess I should have asked if you went with the QTP and catted Y do you have to cut the I on the SLP Dual Dual. I like those more than SLP but the SLP you do not have to cut the I. Thanks for any smart *** comments or from help from the real users out there.

Old 09-10-2003, 02:33 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

...Thanks for any smart *** comments or from help from the real users out there.

Old 09-10-2003, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

If you're concerned about cutting the I-pipe why not have an exhaust shop build a custom Y for you?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also SLPs are a royal PITA to install.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, just buy an aftermarket catback and keep the stock one w/manifolds in a garage somewhere
Old 09-10-2003, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

You're correct, you do sound ****.

(You're quite welcome for the above smart-*** comment.)
Old 09-10-2003, 05:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Um... hear'sa thought.. remove the stock exhaust that will eventually rust all together and put on something aftermarket from the long tubes back.

The elements always do the damage to exhaust piping first.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Teching In

TO the Colonel!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, Did not have time to finish post and did not want to take over the thread. Cutting the I pipe is a factor. The car is a 2000 formula hawk. According to SLP 1 of 1 with my option's and 1 of 2 white formulas from 2000 and only 1 of 47 formulas made that year. O.k. so it sound's **** but if the time comes I want to return it to stock I do not want to weld a piece to the I pipe. Plus if I wanted to leave it stock I guess I would not have asked the question. I guess I should have asked if you went with the QTP and catted Y do you have to cut the I on the SLP Dual Dual. I like those more than SLP but the SLP you do not have to cut the I. Thanks for any smart *** comments or from help from the real users out there.

I'm with the colonel on this. We're talking an exhaust pipe. Your car will still be rare with or without the headers or a new i-pipe. If you want a sure fire leak-proof exhaust, you'll want to weld your new y-pipe to the I-pipe anyhow, so when it comes off, you're going to end up cutting it.

I have the QTP's on my car, and I've also kept all my stock pieces as well. In the highly unlikely event I ever get rid of this car, they'll be around to be reinstalled, and no one will care anyhow. If you're that concerned about the I-pipe, I'd suggest you replace it now to preserve it from the elements. I got the headers on my Firehawk because I wanted to keep my y-pipe from prematurely rusting. :p
Old 09-10-2003, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let's see, I asked about the QTP's vs. the SLP's which I already have on the car. Someone starts talking about an I pipe and whether or not to cut it and 6 out of 18 responses are about my original post the rest about this I pipe and whether or not to cut it. For those that responded regarding my question, I thank you. For the others, well, if you want to discuss something else why not start a new post.

Quick Reply: QTP Headers vs. SLP LT's