Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get car high enough

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 04:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get car high enough

I was trying to install my pacesetters and I just couldn't get the things up in there. I have a 3 ton jack from Jegs and the thing is maxed out. Any ideas?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Can't get car high enough

Place 4 to 5 2x6's between the jack and your k-member... keep an eye on it while jacking to make sure everything is secure.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Launching!

When i did mine, I used a 14-inch jack with stands. I also used rhino ramps. When I had to get a header in, I jacked up the side I was working on right behind the front wheel to the max (14 inches), and that was enough.

The passenger's side requires some twisting and playing with to get the right combo, but the drivers side goes in easier.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When we installed my Pacesetters we had the same jack as you. Jacked the car up as high as it would go, placed jackstands then slide wide peices of woods under the k-member and place the jack ontop of that.

We also had to placed more wood of the left and ride side of the wood which the jack was on because it started to move to the right on us.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just push the car out into your yard and dig a deep hole under it . Many moons ago when I could not get my car up high enough to install the old style grott headers ( car had to be 30+ inches up) this was how I got them in.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I just finished my install earlier this afternoon. Racked the car at 11:00 am had the headers,plugs,02 extensions etc. in at 1:30 pm.(Had to hear it with open headers and the hotcam ) I did have to run the ORP up the street to a muffler shop to open the end that attaches to the catback I pipe up a little but the complete install including the muffler shop and y pipe install was under 4 HRS. Just like Joe the only mod is grinding the tab off the block took about 3 mins. The headers fit and sound awesome,if you don't have your mind set on a different brand you should give the Pacesetters a look
Old 09-11-2003, 04:21 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had my rear on rhino ramps and a 2 ton jack with 16" lift on a 2x4 piece of would that that was under the K member.

i read somewhere that you should have 36" of clearance, i dont think i did but my jet hots went in with a little fenagling (sp)
Old 09-12-2003, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Just push the car out into your yard and dig a deep hole under it . Many moons ago when I could not get my car up high enough to install the old style grott headers ( car had to be 30+ inches up) this was how I got them in.
LOL...I haven't seen the hole in the yard mod for quite some time, but used to hear about it a lot.