Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Upgrading To 85mm MAF

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008 | 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Question About Upgrading To 85mm MAF

I heard from somewhere that the IAT is already built into an 85mm MAF? The one that i am getting is a DELPHI 85mm MAF (GM Brand)

So basically is the IAT built in then?

So i will need to know what adapter to get..

With IAT Sensor:

With Out IAT Sensor:

Old 10-09-2008 | 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

the stock is a 3 pin connector, and most aftermarket mafs are 5 pin. I know my SLP was, but I am not sure about the DELPHI. As far as mine was concerned, it is like the top one I believe. Check out ws6store.com, they have the connectors from Caspers (I believe), and that is what I used. It has been a while since I popped my hood, and I forgot how it was ran.

Check to see if the IAT is built in, then just get the adapter that has the IAT sensor, like the top one.
Old 10-09-2008 | 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
the stock is a 3 pin connector, and most aftermarket mafs are 5 pin. I know my SLP was, but I am not sure about the DELPHI. As far as mine was concerned, it is like the top one I believe. Check out ws6store.com, they have the connectors from Caspers (I believe), and that is what I used. It has been a while since I popped my hood, and I forgot how it was ran.

Check to see if the IAT is built in, then just get the adapter that has the IAT sensor, like the top one.
I know that the stock is a 3 pin and that aftermarkets MAFs are 5 pin. But like i said someone told me that the IAT sensor was built into the 85mm MAFs? If that is the case then i would need the harness in the second pic. And if it is not the case then i would need the harness that i posted in the 1st pic, and stick the IAT sensor onto the lid
Old 10-09-2008 | 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I know that the stock is a 3 pin and that aftermarkets MAFs are 5 pin. But like i said someone told me that the IAT sensor was built into the 85mm MAFs? If that is the case then i would need the harness in the second pic. And if it is not the case then i would need the harness that i posted in the 1st pic, and stick the IAT sensor onto the lid
actually its just the oppisite of what you are thinking. first to answer your question, yes the five pin maf has the IAT built in, thats where the extra two pins come from. the maf is three pins and two for the iat. if you use the stock iat in the stock location then you need the connector in the second pic which is a three (stock harness) to five pin (new maf). and do nothing at all with the iat. leave it hooked up stock. if you have a air lid without a hole for the iat, and would like to use the one in the new maf, or just want to use the one in the new maf then you would need the one in the top pic. the two wires splitting out with the seperate connector(smaller one) is the same connector the stock iat uses so the stock harness connector for the iat will plug into that and the maf plug will go into the other.
Old 10-09-2008 | 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
actually its just the oppisite of what you are thinking. first to answer your question, yes the five pin maf has the IAT built in, thats where the extra two pins come from. the maf is three pins and two for the iat. if you use the stock iat in the stock location then you need the connector in the second pic which is a three (stock harness) to five pin (new maf). and do nothing at all with the iat. leave it hooked up stock. if you have a air lid without a hole for the iat, and would like to use the one in the new maf, or just want to use the one in the new maf then you would need the one in the top pic. the two wires splitting out with the seperate connector(smaller one) is the same connector the stock iat uses so the stock harness connector for the iat will plug into that and the maf plug will go into the other.
now that confused the fvck outta me

ok here is what i am doing. I am getting a DELPHI GM 85mm MAF. And then i am going with a Fast Toys 85mm Lid. What harness will i need to buy?

Pic #1

or

Pic #2
Old 10-09-2008 | 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you are using the IAT in the lid you need the second harness.
Old 10-09-2008 | 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by noriceinside
if you are using the IAT in the lid you need the second harness.
yeah i got that.. Then what is harness in pic #1 used for?
Old 10-09-2008 | 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
yeah i got that.. Then what is harness in pic #1 used for?
If you want to use the iat in the maf. Unplug it from the lid and plug it into the 2 wire white plug.
Old 10-09-2008 | 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
If you want to use the iat in the maf. Unplug it from the lid and plug it into the 2 wire white plug.
what he said. the first pic, that has the extra plug on it, is for the stock iat wire. unplug the stock iat. plug maf and iat into new harness connector.
Old 10-10-2008 | 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Yea. I have that lid...first pic the harness I used.
Old 10-10-2008 | 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The first pic is the harness that you need. I have the same setup that you are getting on my car currently.
Old 10-10-2008 | 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
what he said. the first pic, that has the extra plug on it, is for the stock iat wire. unplug the stock iat. plug maf and iat into new harness connector.
does my stock IAT plug into the harness into the first pic? And again i use that first harness in pc #1 if the lid does nor have a hole drilled for the IAT already correct...
Old 10-11-2008 | 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

if the new maf is a 5 pin and stock maf is 3 pin and then a 2 pin for the iat

the harness you and i would need needs a 5 pin on one end (to plug in to the new 85mm maf) and the other end needs a 2 pin to plug the factory iat plug in to it, and then the 3 pin on the new harness get pluged in to the stock connector for the maf