Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal: Change or Not w/ Clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Main Seal: Change or Not w/ Clutch??

I have a 97 vette with 47k mi and I'm changing the clutch with a head/cam upgrade.

The rear main seal is dry as a bone and doesn't show any dry rot but is 12 yrs old. Should I change it as preventative maintenance or leave well enough alone as they don't seem prone to leak.

Thanks for any experience or recommendations
Old 10-12-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How mad would you be if it started leaking a month after the clutch job?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

about as pissed as I'd be if it started to leak after I put a new one in. Has anyone has changed their rear main seal and had the new one leak?

A couple people have told me if it aint broke dont fix it, but the fact that it's 12 yrs old. I don't know wheather they degrade more with time (age) or milage.

I cant go into this car again, this is the second time in 5 months because the clutch I put in had a manufacturer defect.

I guess I'm invoking murphy if I don't

Last edited by dmiz0420; 10-12-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

I vote leave it, only time I have heard of one start leaking is on a new build, or one that was just replaced. If it doesnt appear dry rotted/cracked at all, I vote leave it. Putting a new one in properly is a bit of a trick from what I hear.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

I've had many people tell me this.

Is there any way with a new pully, new clutch, heads, cam that it would change the way things were balanced and cause a leak?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

This isn't like the front seal that MUST come off with the timing set cover to service the top end. It's a no brainer to change the front seal, but if the real is "dry as a bone and doesn't show any signs of rot" as you say the old cliche applies. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Typically, in the past, I would always change it. BUT, as it's been stated, they are real touchy. Trust me, it's a real kick in the nuts when you do a clutch swap (and put in a new seal) and you get a leak.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
I vote leave it, only time I have heard of one start leaking is on a new build, or one that was just replaced. If it doesnt appear dry rotted/cracked at all, I vote leave it. Putting a new one in properly is a bit of a trick from what I hear.
Ditto.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leave it alone!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

I changed mine, leaked before still F'ing leaks

Long story short, leave it, long story below.

In my 4X4 truck I had the tranny out and said to myself man I sure would hate if this thing leaked after I had the tranny out, I changed it, did NOT leak before, DID leak after.

I think its up to you, but I am starting to change my feelings on replacing them while they are there. I would have always said before, better do it while your there.

I think the main thing is to get one from the dealer though, both mine were Fel Pro which is usally as good as and sometimes better than dealer/factory.
The LS1 may also have a special install procedure ( more to do with the gasket plate, not the gasket ) considering the plate is removable, maybe a special centering procedure to make sure the seal is 100% centered?, I removed the plate and replaced that gasket on it with that attitude, do it while im there.

I dunno I do know there are revised seals out there, saw that after I did my install. Still havent found any good answers to the revised seal and plate thing.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

So I'd say that's a 6 to 1 to leave it. Last night I was convinced I was going to change it. Now I'm leaning toward leaving it.

Sounds like most of the problems withthe new seal leaking is the alignment of the rear cover plate. Which makes me wonder if it is better to change it without removing the cover. I didn't have any problem with the front timing cover when I put a new seal in with the cam and pulley.

What is the bar bell thing that every one says to be sure you don't loose when you take the cover off?

The car has been garaged for the 12 yrs, but I do HPDE it at the track and I definately enjoy pushing the car. Still as I looked at it last night, it's totally dry. The thing that sucks is if I change it, I won't know if it leaks till it's all back together. LOL...

This is good, keep em coming.

Last edited by dmiz0420; 10-13-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by dmiz0420
So I'd say that's a 6 to 1 to leave it. Last night I was convinced I was going to change it. Now I'm leaning toward leaving it.

Sounds like most of the problems withthe new seal leaking is the alignment of the rear cover plate. Which makes me wonder if it is better to change it without removing the cover. I didn't have any problem with the front timing cover when I put a new seal in with the cam and pulley.

What is the bar bell thing that every one says to be sure you don't loose when you take the cover off?

The car has been garaged for the 12 yrs, but I do HPDE it at the track and I definately enjoy pushing the car. Still as I looked at it last night, it's totally dry. The thing that sucks is if I change it, I won't know if it leaks till it's all back together. LOL...

This is good, keep em coming.

I dont know about the bearing you are talking about, there wasnt anything there on mine, thought I just had, worked with a guy a while back and he went to the dealer to get a rear main seal for his chevy 5.3 truck ( same engine design as the LS1 if your not familiar ) They made him buy the plate with gasket in it, as in there is some revision there, so maybe there is something up with the plate?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Leave it alone. It wont rot in the future anyway. If you pull that rear cover off and replace you are really risking a small mistake that can result in a leak. Just leave it be.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Leave it... dropping everything to get to the RMS in a C5 is 10x harder than dropping the trans in an F-body. You will be pissed if you replace it and it leaks and you have to go through all that again, to fix something that was not broke in the first place. I know I would!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

It seems overwhelming that I should leave it.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dmiz0420
It seems overwhelming that I should leave it.
Less overwhelming than replacing it, installing the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, reinstalling your headers (because if you have longtubes you gotta drop em to get the access cover off the bottom) reinstalling the trans, diff, and torque tube, reinstalling the rear cradle, axles, rear suspension, then putting the shifter back in and putting your interior back together, because unlike an f-body you have to tear the whole console out, and getting the car back together, going for a drive, and having your seal that was previously dry as a bone leak everywhere? Yeah, that does seem less overwhelming.

Leave well enough alone.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

i did mine and it was a huge pain in the nuts to get out. that suker was in there good! mine wasnt leaking and still doesnt now after the change.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow you guys are wimps. There is a new updated seal that you can just pound in with out taking the cover off! The damn seal has two notches on it to pry out with a screw driver. It takes less than 2 minutes to pop the old one out, just make sure you buy the new updated one from GM, sorry I forgot the part number but it seals the opposite direction as the original. I replaced mine when I did the transmission and it has not leaked at all. I also put some gasket sealer on there just in case. Also there is some very fine print on the gasket that says "this side out" make sure you put it in the right way.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Regular

this is the new seal i think i have just got, its slimmer than the original and it appears the inner lip will just slide on over the crank without using any special tool ?
Old 10-15-2008, 05:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Found it, part number: 89060436

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal: Change or Not w/ Clutch??