Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lunati VooDoo Cam+806 Heads=?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008 | 04:41 PM
Banned

Default Lunati VooDoo Cam+806 Heads=?????

I currently have a Lunati VooDoo cam part #60511, 222/228 .567/.567 on a 113

http://www.lunaticamshafts.com/Produ...d=2024&gid=288

I want to upgrade to a Lunati VooDoo part #60512, 232/238 .599/.601 on a 113

http://www.lunaticamshafts.com/Produ...d=2025&gid=288

Now here is where it gets fun....I have a set of 806 heads that i plan on porting and polishing over the winter and i need some opinions on what size valve would best suit the 60512 cam i plan on going with along with milling them as well, I called up Lunati and they told me to go with a 2.05/1.60 valve setup on the heads, where i was looking more towards putting in some 2.02/1.57 valves, they also told me that a 10.1 to 10.5 compression would be good as well, considering LS1's are already in that range for compression.

Any suggestions are more the welcomed, I know how important matching your heads with your cam can be for making power and I want to match my combo as best as I can.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by DiabloFormula; 10-28-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2008 | 04:46 PM
Launching!

cam cards are blank?
Old 10-28-2008 | 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by magic
cam cards are blank?
I know, links were added instead.
Old 10-29-2008 | 05:23 AM
On The Tree

Being I run this same cam and havent yet been able to take and drive drive it nevermind take it down and get it tuned & dynoed. The numbers you already post are pretty descent on a basically stock 98 motor, I would have liked to seen what your numbers would have been with the raise in compression (10.1) and a better set of heads or redoing the 806's, my guess these 2 little peices would have put you over the 400rwhp. Adding the next step up on the cam will also require possible change to your tourque converter as well and may also affect lowend (cruising) driveability. On the heads: think on the possiblity that time, machine work and all new valevs may actually put over the cost of a set of stage2 PRC, PP, livernoise, etc with the exception of the upperend AFR's brand set of heads that can be bought right off the shelf, personally I would keep the stocks stock and keep as a backup and buy a different set that can be later swapped out if needed to another motor and or sell your orginals with the upgraded springs etc which would end up saving you money.

Last edited by LS1 Coupe; 10-29-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2008 | 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1 Coupe
Being I run this same cam and havent yet been able to take and drive drive it nevermind take it down and get it tuned & dynoed. The numbers you already post are pretty descent on a basically stock 98 motor, I would have liked to seen what your numbers would have been with the raise in compression (10.1) and a better set of heads or redoing the 806's, my guess these 2 little peices would have put you over the 400rwhp. Adding the next step up on the cam will also require possible change to your tourque converter as well and may also affect lowend (cruising) driveability. On the heads: think on the possiblity that time, machine work and all new valevs may actually put over the cost of a set of stage2 PRC, PP, livernoise, etc with the exception of the upperend AFR's brand set of heads that can be bought right off the shelf, personally I would keep the stocks stock and keep as a backup and buy a different set that can be later swapped out if needed to another motor and or sell your orginals with the upgraded springs etc which would end up saving you money.

The car is a 6 speed, sorry about that, and it was tuned by Jeremy Formato about 2 weeks ago on a DynoJET that seem to be reading 15-20 low at the time, one of the reasons I want to do my own heads is to save $$$$, I have a set of PRC springs already, ebay REV valves (whichever size) are about $70 or so for a set of 8, the machining and is the cutting and install of the new valve seats ( if needed) and any other work isn't going to run that much (have friends that do that), the only main part is the P/P of the heads themselves, which yes i do understand if you don't know what your doing you could be throwing a perfectly good set of heads down the tubes. The good thing is, for one, I'm not dumbfounded and I the only way to learn and perfect it is to do the research and do it yourself, hence the reason for the first post...........besides the best part is I can keep my stock valve covers!!!!!!!!!!!!(that was a joke if you didn't get it.)

Oh ya and I think if I remember correctly stock compression is 10.1 on LS1's....correct if I'm wrong.

Any other suggestions???
Old 10-29-2008 | 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DiabloFormula
The car is a 6 speed, sorry about that, and it was tuned by Jeremy Formato about 2 weeks ago on a DynoJET that seem to be reading 15-20 low at the time, one of the reasons I want to do my own heads is to save $$$$, I have a set of PRC springs already, ebay REV valves (whichever size) are about $70 or so for a set of 8, the machining and is the cutting and install of the new valve seats ( if needed) and any other work isn't going to run that much (have friends that do that), the only main part is the P/P of the heads themselves, which yes i do understand if you don't know what your doing you could be throwing a perfectly good set of heads down the tubes. The good thing is, for one, I'm not dumbfounded and I the only way to learn and perfect it is to do the research and do it yourself, hence the reason for the first post...........besides the best part is I can keep my stock valve covers!!!!!!!!!!!!(that was a joke if you didn't get it.)

Oh ya and I think if I remember correctly stock compression is 10.1 on LS1's....correct if I'm wrong.

Any other suggestions???
Being I am somewhat new to the LSX family I couldnt remember what the exact CR was, I have mine setup for 11.1cr with this cam and a set of PP stage 2's. MY understanding of what I have read on these heads is the 806's where not by any means that great of a head, even the 241's are slightly better and probally could be had very reasonably and even a used set of 243 are probally not that much more money but certainly a much better head. most of the aftermarket heads have better decks on them for extra shaving vs stock heads. I will also add that the milage on your current machine and the existing abuse with sproradic shots of NOS has cut down longevity dramatically and now adding a cam to be turning even more RPM will be extensively short lived if abused regularly, if you had 30K on this motor I dont think it would be a real issue but 100K and now wanting to turn 7K? Just bumping the compression 1 point at this point is a questionable mod.
Old 10-29-2008 | 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Hell yeah, I can't wait to see this unfold! I have had my eye on the 60512 for a LONG time, and have pretty much made up my mind on it. Subscribing!
Old 10-29-2008 | 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Isn't that cam they used in GMHTPs buildup of a 383?
Old 10-29-2008 | 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NC98Z

Yes it is, but I think it would make better power on a 346 seems like it was a tad small for that 383.
Old 10-29-2008 | 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Hell yeah, I can't wait to see this unfold! I have had my eye on the 60512 for a LONG time, and have pretty much made up my mind on it. Subscribing!
Dido, I've had my eye on it as well, ever since I got the 60511 VooDoo and loved it. I'm really iching to see what this one can do.....but with heads.
Old 10-30-2008 | 10:57 AM
Banned

Any comments on valve sizes please.
Old 11-02-2008 | 03:16 PM
Banned

Bump...
Old 11-03-2008 | 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Also known as the worst engine build in the history of all GEN III builds... $15k on a 383. Maybe that's why not many people have used this cam I posted some questions not too long ago about this cam and found a link to a sound clip. It is undisputably the best sounding cam that I have ever heard. Period.

Ah hell, let me go find it. Its that freakin good!

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=MOV00413.flv

113LSA and lots of duration = Nasty
Old 01-03-2009 | 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

As far as valve size goes you may want to go with the 2.02 and 1.57 valves. I tried this cam with a set of Dart 225's which has the 2.05 and 1.60 valves and did not have enough valve clearance on either the int. or exh. side. If you are going to fly cut the pistons or have pistons with valve reliefs go with the 2.05 and 1.6 though. I went with a different cam since I wanted to use the heads that I had. I really think that cam would make better power though than the Comp cam I have if I had been able to use it. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2009 | 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

I would advise going with the stock size valves. You will need some serious porting and combustion chamber work to get the 2.02/1.57 combo to really shine. The large valves and small bore counteract each other, making the larger valves more of a hindrance for smaller bores.

That’s a great sounding cam!
Old 01-24-2009 | 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Ive been looking into the lunati 237/243 600/600 113 voodoo camshaft not much info ? Can anybody see if they could dig up a clip on it ,that other one sounded good id like to know what the one a step above it thumped like ?

Quick Reply: Lunati VooDoo Cam+806 Heads=?????