Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will I need to do to break 7k?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will I need to do to break 7k?

Hey everybody. Im getting ready to pick up a 4th Gen of my very own soon. And im looking at building a new engine to stick in which will cube out at 333ci. So as far as header size, and intake capability im not detered. However, I am a complete LSx noob. I have zero idea as to the requirements needed to assure reliable operation in the LSx past 7k (7800 goal). What kind of gear will I need to be using in the valvetrain? Or is a high winded LSx out of the question?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by USMC Schroeder
Hey everybody. Im getting ready to pick up a 4th Gen of my very own soon. And im looking at building a new engine to stick in which will cube out at 333ci. So as far as header size, and intake capability im not detered. However, I am a complete LSx noob. I have zero idea as to the requirements needed to assure reliable operation in the LSx past 7k (7800 goal). What kind of gear will I need to be using in the valvetrain? Or is a high winded LSx out of the question?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Lightweight valvetrain, shaft mount rocker arms, killer valve springs, and a sheetmetal intake should do the trick for you.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to think about oiling at those rpms (7800)
Whats the car going to be use for?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Mostly street, some strip and track. As far as oiling goes, does the 10/1000 rule still work on the LSx series engines?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mostly street, some strip and track. As far as oiling goes, does the 10/1000 rule still work on the LSx series engines?
i think he is referring to using an alternative to wet sump oiling at those rpms. and i believe the lsx series of engines to be somewhere around 7/1000 due to the decrease in bearing clearance vs. gen 1 motors. you will definately have a lot of money wrapped up in such a beast. do you just WANT a high rpm motor? i believe you could make comparable power with a fairly simple 6.0 setup.

definately need a light valvetrain, solid lifter and most likely a dry sump setup. i think you could get by with a super victor intake, i don't know that you'd NEED a custom sheetmetal setup. stock crank should work fine, but you'd definately need aftermarket rods and pistons.

Last edited by s346k; 11-12-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saying you want to spin up to 7800 rpm is pointless on a car that sees more street than strip, its just for bragging rights (almost sounds like a ricer concept )

The trick is to maximize the area under the curve. you say you want to run mostly street? I can't picture a cam that will allow power to the 7k range and still let you drive on street without alerting the whole state you are heavily cammed.

I'd start with how you want to run your car, then let the cam gurus on here point you in a direction that fits how you drive the car, rather than an idea that revving high sounds cool.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SladeX
Saying you want to spin up to 7800 rpm is pointless on a car that sees more street than strip, its just for bragging rights (almost sounds like a ricer concept )
Yep, I see it now next week some dumbass will want to spin to 9k.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The trick is to maximize the area under the curve. you say you want to run mostly street? I can't picture a cam that will allow power to the 7k range and still let you drive on street without alerting the whole state you are heavily cammed.

I'd start with how you want to run your car, then let the cam gurus on here point you in a direction that fits how you drive the car, rather than an idea that revving high sounds cool.
Very true - although if I remember right Tosto trapped at 8100 rpm in his N/A 6 speed . But I believe that was in the 4xx cubes. And a drivetrain that was designed for that high of RPM.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my old boss used to cross the line a little above 10,000 rpms with a 347 ford. it was built to do what it did though. of course a 5.xx rear end gear helps. it was a 1/8th car that could be taken to the 1/4 but required you to get in and out of it.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

yea 7800 seams way high.
what type of power goals do you have
Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did 333 ci come from? How do you plan on putting that together and why?

It's all about what you want. Having a ton of torque down low is almost pointless. There's only so much you can really hook on the streets. High RPM power is almost like traction control. I'll be spinning my 408, dry sump, solid roller engine as high as it wants to keep making power and I'm sure that will be over 8000rpms. I don't see that as pointless.

I do agree with you though on everything else. A mild street combo that will make power under 7k is more desirable for drivability and wear issues. Not everyone wants to run a gianormous cam and spin the hell out of their engines. Most people that want to probably don't know what is truely involved in doing so.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Banned

Its a lot better to increase the cubic inches and have the power come in a more usable form, than spin it to the moon. First you need to set a budget.. a line in the sand of how much you have to spend on the whole project. Or if your doing it in stages then set a budget for each component. What power level are you looking for? Then we can talk about engine choices.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

also imo building an engine to rev that high vs a a engine that still makes power that high dosent seam like a good plan
Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Haha ricer concept...thats cute. No the engine idea came up by trying to build an engine with the best dwell off of the piston (for good reason, read on). And the parts I wanted to use were a worked set of the rods and crank out of a 4.8L in a 6.0 block. It will need custom pistons which sucks, but whatever.

333 came out like this - 4.03 x 3.27.

Now the reason for wanting so much rpm is because I do want the engine to produce power, a smaller engine at lower speeds is probably worth nothing. I mean haha seriously that little engine at 3k-4.5k isnt going to be a stump puller. And as far as I could figure being just under 8 grand is about the limit of a SEMI budget consious pushrod engine. <--- why im asking yalls.

Lastly this setup is for turbo. Which is why I wanted so much dwell.

Also from what I (think ) I know fewer cubes will mean that less cam can go further. As well as everything else; so bringing a 333 up to the bottom of 8k shouldnt be too unbelievable. Especially with the kind of heads the LS series has available. Haha like the CNCd L92 heads flowing 350 CFM!

So with that, any of you camshaft gurus have any ideas about how to take advantage of a 1.92 rod ratio in a high rpm turbo engine? haha

And the FAST 92/92 or even a ported 90/90 should be enough to feed the holes especially under moderate boost right? I wasnt expecting to need a sheetmetal intake.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

oh a 333 i thought it said 383
Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Teching In

the higher the rpm the more power you will make (supporting parts assumed). The fastest N/A cars out there make their power way up high for a reason. Schroeder, don't let these anti-rpm fools get u down, they just don't know. They need to do their research on how many rpm pro stock guys, nascar, F1, etc run in their cars. There is a reason. More effective rpm = more explosions per turn of the tire = more POWER
Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even with that short of a crank you're not going to get away with that sort of oiling system long. You'd want at the bare minimum an accusump and a canton oil pan.

The main point everyone is trying to pass to you is don't get caught building a specific cubic inch combination unless you are restricted by race class rules. More cubic inches will always make more power. You could build a 370 for less money, have more cubes, and spend the money you saved on better valve train components.

I completely agree with 99blancoSS also. You've got to set a budget for yourself. Once you step over 7k everything starts getting expensive really quickly. You can get there with a hydraulic cam, but you're still going to be spending big money on valve springs. That's where the cubic inch trade off comes into place. In limiting yourself to 7k RPMs you could build something with more cubes for the same price that will probably make more power.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Batmobile00
the higher the rpm the more power you will make (supporting parts assumed). The fastest N/A cars out there make their power way up high for a reason. Schroeder, don't let these anti-rpm fools get u down, they just don't know. They need to do their research on how many rpm pro stock guys, nascar, F1, etc run in their cars. There is a reason. More effective rpm = more explosions per turn of the tire = more POWER
Good observation captain obvious. The thing is he said he's doing this on a budget so perhaps you should bow down before the, "anti-rpm fool's" reading comprehension. It goes beyond just putting parts together. At that level you're spending huge money on valvetrain components and an oiling system that will take the RPMs. This is coming directly from someone who is building a high RPM engine.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

And the parts I wanted to use were a worked set of the rods and crank out of a 4.8L in a 6.0 block.

Especially with the kind of heads the LS series has available. Haha like the CNCd L92 heads flowing 350 CFM!

And the FAST 92/92 or even a ported 90/90 should be enough to feed the holes especially under moderate boost right? I wasnt expecting to need a sheetmetal intake.
1) no stock rod out of an lsx engine is going to take 7,800rpm very long, you will stretch it out like a piece of gum.

2) just fyi, the L92 heads will only work on a 4" bore and larger. you'll most likely need a set of custom etp heads or something to accomodate an engine of such description

3) i can't see a crossover style intake of any making supporting 7,800 rpm.

if you're serious about a build of this caliber i recommend you simply give a blank check to the sponsor of your choice. there are so many places to royally **** this up it's unbelievable. the questions you're asking show your ignorance to the concept, i really hope you don't think you can touch a 333cid, 7800 rpm turbo LSX motor for less than $15,000 and countless hours of research, trial and error, and tuning.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Even with that short of a crank you're not going to get away with that sort of oiling system long. You'd want at the bare minimum an accusump and a canton oil pan.

The main point everyone is trying to pass to you is don't get caught building a specific cubic inch combination unless you are restricted by race class rules. More cubic inches will always make more power. You could build a 370 for less money, have more cubes, and spend the money you saved on better valve train components.

I completely agree with 99blancoSS also. You've got to set a budget for yourself. Once you step over 7k everything starts getting expensive really quickly. You can get there with a hydraulic cam, but you're still going to be spending big money on valve springs. That's where the cubic inch trade off comes into place. In limiting yourself to 7k RPMs you could build something with more cubes for the same price that will probably make more power.

EDIT:

Good observation captain obvious. The thing is he said he's doing this on a budget so perhaps you should bow down before the, "anti-rpm fool's" reading comprehension. It goes beyond just putting parts together. At that level you're spending huge money on valvetrain components and an oiling system that will take the RPMs. This is coming directly from someone who is building a high RPM engine.
HAHA, yea no sht, I was aiming at those that agree that high rpm sounds like an import theory, but since I didn't specify, here we go. Maybe your idea of a budget is much smaller than mine. It wouldn't be all that much, and you don't even need pistons/rods. You need oil and a good valvetrain, shaft mount/solid roller recommended. Then you need to support the rpm with an intake system, but he has already factored in the turbo to push it, so nothing too drastic. Also, I agree that a bigger cube motor will be cheaper and make more power.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Batmobile00
the higher the rpm the more power you will make (supporting parts assumed).
A 333cid at 7800 rpms has no chance vs a 383 vs 408 vs 454 at 7800 rpms... more cubes always wins.