Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to setup and LS6 PCV Valley

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to setup and LS6 PCV Valley

I've heard people talking of, and know the purpose of an lS6 Valley setup, but how is it setup and what do you need? Is the design used on a stock LS6?
Old 09-24-2003, 10:46 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Default Re: How to setup and LS6 PCV Valley

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
Old 09-25-2003, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

The JMX article is excellent as usual.

I took a slightly different route with my valley cover installation. Since I did not want to cut the aluminum engine block I cut a 3 inch piece of plastic from the new LS6 valley cover and spliced in a 5 inch section of copper tubing...the tubing was sealed against the black plastic cover with high-temp silicone. THe cover fit my LS1 block and works great...
Old 09-25-2003, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

..Oh by-the-way, you may want to also install a oil catch can...in my set up, these two mods completely eliminated the condition where crank case oil was being sucked into the intake...
Old 09-25-2003, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what if you just disconnect the lines going to the intake manifold and plug them then put a small filter on the ends?, i know sounds ghetto
Old 09-25-2003, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I tried that (no PCV and just a filter) but ended up with a lot of crank case pressure. It would blow oil out the filter at high RPM and really smoke (burn oil) on hard downshifts.

I went to the LS6 valley cover and I no longer smoke. I'm still sucking oil into the intake but have not had time to sit down and make a catch can.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what if you just disconnect the lines going to the intake manifold and plug them then put a small filter on the ends?, i know sounds ghetto
Another problem with that besides what CamaroGuy said, is you are just venting the the oil fumes into the engine compartment, then they come under the hood and get sucked into the passenger compartment and condense on the inside surface of the cool glass. It makes a real mess that is hard to clean up . . . ask me how I know all of this!
Old 09-25-2003, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

you are just venting the the oil fumes into the engine compartment, then they come under the hood and get sucked into the passenger compartment and condense on the inside surface of the cool glass. It makes a real mess that is hard to clean up . . . ask me how I know all of this!
....yep.....been there....done that.....

When I had my crank case vacuum pump (mechanical vacuum pump run off the engine) just venting under the hood, as air moved through and out the back of the hood, the air would get sucked in through the AC and before I knew it, the interior of my car looked like something out of Cheech and Chong's "Up In Smoke" (smoke filled cabin with smoke leaking out the windows.....)