Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone PLEASE Tell the Truth About Benefits of the LSx Firing Order

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone PLEASE Tell the Truth About Benefits of the LSx Firing Order

I'm posting in this forum because I expect significant angst in other forums with little, if any, real scientific data for backup.

I have a Gen1 400 SBC waiting for a rebuild. I've been researching the LSx/351+Windsor/302 HO firing order for some time now and it seems this is the best option for performance and longevity.

I'm SERIOUSLY considering a custom "C-Swap" cam to fit my needs but custom-ground cams are EXPENSIVE!!

BTW, this QUESTION involves FIRING ORDER ONLY... or the "C-Swap" for SBC!!

What got me started was, many years ago, I notice just how powerful and tough my father's 302 HO was in his Ford Maverick and also in a friend's Ford Torino. There has to be some reason for this, yes? These motors seem to last FOREVER under a very heavy foot!! And they seemed to run VERY SMOOTHLY.

So... if a cast iron block has good cooling and is made of tough materials (high nickel 509 block) and is well-designed on all aspects then the remaining factor is something else, right?

I'm 99 percent convinced it's the firing order.

Enlighten me, PLEASE!!

Last edited by Mike1234; 01-01-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Are you talking about the 4-7 swap on the sbc?? Supposed to be worth about 30hp throughout the curve. I never messed around with it myself but i know there are some cams on the market for this
Old 01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what I found on another board. It's not my writing, just copy/paste.

"Well, GM made the change on the Gen III SB engine, which by sheer volume, mostly goes in trucks, for reasons of improved main bearing load distribution."
Old 01-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Launching!

nobodyknows... Yes, I've heard that too.

LS1MCSS... Yes, from what I've read the main bearings wear better and there is significant decrease in crankshaft torsional deflection resulting in an 8+ percent decrease in crankshaft harmonics.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reher-Morrison has those cams as shelf cams IIRC. Not sure of price or if they have one for your application. I do recall reading about this somewhere. I think some pro stock engine builders do this because having #5 and #7 firing in succession creates more heat and causes fuel distribution to be poor.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The firing order makes the crank happier is why. No matter what you always have two cylinders somewhere that can't get along but that firing order is the best for the crankshaft harmonics apparently according to all the real engineers that do that stuff at GM, Ford, and Chrysler.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

The LSx firing order is really the same firing order that came out in your 1954 Cadillac's and was adopted back in the 80's by Detroit Diesel to solve their crankshaft breakage issue's. The Ford 351W/302 HO's have a different firing order all together. The altered firing order gives the engine a more rythmetic beat (almost the same as human heartbeat), as it fires the outer cylinders first and then the inner's. The upper rpm HP gains are another by-product of the decreased crank harmonic's that are tranmitted through the timing chain, into your cam, through the lifter's, up the pushrods, through the rockers, & into the valve springs.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You You need to look at the actual firing order when you renumber the 5.0 ford like a small block chevy as it is the same.

The old SBC is the same as the older SBF too when you renumber them as well.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer7088
You need to look at the actual firing order when you renumber the 5.0 ford like a small block chevy as it is the same.

The old SBC is the same as the older SBF too when you renumber them as well.
With Ford's CCW firing order the cylinder's would have to be fired 1-8-4-5-3-7-2-6 to be fired the same as the GM "LSx" firing order. As it is the 351W/302 HO has a CCW firing order of 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and would need to be modified to 5-4-2-6-3-7-8-1 to be fired the same as an Gen 1 SBC.

I know that you are a very smart & well respected member/sponsor to this board so please don't take my post the wrong way.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bird
With Ford's CCW firing order the cylinder's would have to be fired 1-8-4-5-3-7-2-6 to be fired the same as the GM "LSx" firing order. As it is the 351W/302 HO has a CCW firing order of 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and would need to be modified to 5-4-2-6-3-7-8-1 to be fired the same as an Gen 1 SBC.

I know that you are a very smart & well respected member/sponsor to this board so please don't take my post the wrong way.
Without looking at the documentation, I'm pretty sure racer7088 is correct. I'm not sure what you mean by Counter-Clockwise, unless you mean distributor rotation. The numbering system used by Ford has always been different, but distributor rotation should have little to do with it. It's just a matter of swapping plug wires to match the cam phasing.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sorry hammertime, I should have said CCW distributor rotation vs. the SBC CW distributor rotation. Remember that the Ford's are 1-2-3-4 on the passenger side of the block & 5-6-7-8 on the driver's side. There is more to it than just swapping the spark plug wires around, the cam core has to have the lobes in the right orientation in order to work properly.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found it

Lunati Cams - Firing Order

As you can see, all Ford did was swap the order of cylinders 5 and 3 and cylinders 4 and 7 to get the new firing order. Also, don't forget that Ford numbers its cylinders differently than Chevy. A Ford has 1-2-3-4 on the right (passenger) bank and 5-6-7-8 on the left (driver) side. Chevy is 1-3-5-7 on the left and 2-4-6-8 on the right (see the diagram on the next page). If you simply renumber cylinder locations of the older Ford engines as if they were Chevys, you'll discover that the firing order is, in fact, identical to GM style. Further, if you take the 351 and late-5.0L Ford firing order and renumber the cylinders like a Chevy, the firing order is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. That's the same as the Chevy Gen III and IV (LS-series) V-8s.
There is a bunch more info in the link listed above, pretty much encompassing everything listed in the previous replies. In the end, it was worth a few ponies, and would be an advantave from the outset of a new build, or where you are class limited and need a competitive advantage.
The 4/7 cam swap gave our pump-gas Rat a little extra midrange power by as much as 12 numbers and added a repeatable 2-3 hp to the top end. Lunati tells us that, cam for cam, the 4/7-swap versions cost $30 more than a standard cam. If we were building a street/strip engine from scratch, it seems like that's $30 we'd choose to spend.
Mike1234, I hope you aren't expecting miracles from a simple cam swap with similar lift duration figures. I'm not certain you'll find other empirical evidence here since Gen III engines already have the "magic" firing order.

Good luck with your build.

Also, 1997bird, I hope you didn't take my post wrong either.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, not at all hammertime, I had just looked into the Ford firing orders for a customer about 1 1/2 years ago. I have been useing the LS1 FO cams from Erson Cams for several years now and have liked the smoothness that the engines run with (even if they don't make anymore power, they will help keep some of the wear/stress down on the internals).
Old 01-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Yes, this is why I'm so keen on this firing order.

Originally Posted by racer7088
The firing order makes the crank happier is why. No matter what you always have two cylinders somewhere that can't get along but that firing order is the best for the crankshaft harmonics apparently according to all the real engineers that do that stuff at GM, Ford, and Chrysler.
Originally Posted by 1997bird
No, not at all hammertime, I had just looked into the Ford firing orders for a customer about 1 1/2 years ago. I have been useing the LS1 FO cams from Erson Cams for several years now and have liked the smoothness that the engines run with (even if they don't make anymore power, they will help keep some of the wear/stress down on the internals).

Last edited by Mike1234; 01-02-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Nope... I just want a longer lasting motor that sounds great and makes a few more HP/TQ. It seems a small price to pay if the return is another 50K on the motor. Plus these just sound BAAAD!!

Originally Posted by hammertime
Mike1234, I hope you aren't expecting miracles from a simple cam swap with similar lift duration figures. I'm not certain you'll find other empirical evidence here since Gen III engines already have the "magic" firing order.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i believe that comp already makes the "swap" firing order cams...are you running a flat tappet or a roller? they are in their catalog.

Quick Reply: Someone PLEASE Tell the Truth About Benefits of the LSx Firing Order