Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trex with 3.73s and an SS3600 - Acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stumprrp
slowhawk told me right out my tranny is probably toast with the new power from the cam, lol, any contest for our cars Mike?

when i was in overdrive i had a burning smell in my car for a while so yes it gets reallll friggin hot.
hey maybe we can get a bulk discount on some performabuilt trannys lol

either that or we're gonna have to look into th350's
Old 01-29-2009, 05:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
our trannys can actually handle a good little bit, as long as they stay N/A through an ls1.. nitrous is usually what does them in....

this is taking for granted your arent going ridiculous speeds, and doing stupid stuff.. normal 1/8 and 1/4 racing, and or DD
nitrous - check
ridiculous speeds - check
stupid stuff - check

I'm dead
Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
hahaha... i read that and i was omg, do some research.. then i read your last statement..

and yes i was in D.. when i first tried to get my top speed.. i kicked it.. it pulled EXTREMELY hard to the 130-140ish mark and then just stopped.. it for SURE didnt run out of power (i have plenty of that) it just ran out of gear.. i tried it 2-3 more times after that.. i thought the same thing as you said, i thought maybe i hit my shifter into 3 or something.. but i didnt.. did 3 more pulls and same thing every time.. went back and told a buddy and he said it was set like that to save my tranny from over heating and destroying itself, asked a car buddy that rebuilds trannys and he said same thing.. then i came on here and did some research, same answer..
Seems to be something on our 98 cars...I thought I had programmed it via HPTuners to shift into 4th but it didn't. Either I missed something or it's just hard programmed so that it won't.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the OP...Its trial and error. Your never gonna get a definative answer by asking opinions. If your dead set on that stall and that cam...go for it! You can tweek your set up once you get it going...its 90% personal prefrence anyway. One set up might be more optimum in efficientcy( better rwhp/e.t.) but you'll never know until you get a baseline set up and start tuning from there.

Also on the 4.10 gear issue. I have 4.10 gears in the 01' z/28 (a4) I just bought. I drove it from N.C. to Florida last weekend, and it didn't bother me a bit. Cruised @ 75mph @
3200-3300 rpm. Its not that bad, but there again whats "bad" to some people is tolerable to others.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 408z28
to the OP...Its trial and error. Your never gonna get a definative answer by asking opinions. If your dead set on that stall and that cam...go for it! You can tweek your set up once you get it going...its 90% personal prefrence anyway. One set up might be more optimum in efficientcy( better rwhp/e.t.) but you'll never know until you get a baseline set up and start tuning from there.

Also on the 4.10 gear issue. I have 4.10 gears in the 01' z/28 (a4) I just bought. I drove it from N.C. to Florida last weekend, and it didn't bother me a bit. Cruised @ 75mph @
3200-3300 rpm. Its not that bad, but there again whats "bad" to some people is tolerable to others.
ya, it seems no matter what cam you talk about someone will say that they are happy daily driving it, so you're right it's just a matter of opinion. seems like the ms3 is really easy to tune, it's $110 cheaper for the kit too. the ms3 with a 200 shot of nitrous seems like enough to max out the power potential of my 116k mile ls1, my stock 4l60e, and my 10-bolt. if not, there's always race fuel and a little more nitrous lol.

unless you guys think the trex would be 2 tenths faster than the ms3 with my setup with 373s or 410s?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 408z28

winning races is about not having fear. don't fear the gear. don't fear the cam either, right?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

This is the set up that I use on my TA which is my DD. Pulls like crazy and no complaints whatsoever. I used to have 373's and then went to 411's and the gas milage was hardly effected. stall locked up at 40 mph which made it very streetable.

2000 Pontiac Trans am. Built bottom end. T-rex cam, stage 2 ls1 heads, Ls6 intake manifold, 42lb fuel injectors, slp cold air induction kit, slp line lock, TNT F1 nitrous kit (never been used) with 10 lb bottle, Race built 4l60e transmission, yank pro thruster 4400 stall converter, 3.5 inch 1200hp PST driveshaft W/1350 yoke, Moser 9 inch rear end W/4.11 gears, BMR adjustable lower control arms, BMR torque arm w/driveshaft loop, Wolfe 6 pt roll cage, Pacesetter longtube headers 1 3/4, TSP catted Y pipe, SLP loudmouth 1 cat back exhaust, torque thrust 2 rims 17x9 in front 17x11 in back
Old 01-29-2009, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by import slayer
This is the set up that I use on my TA which is my DD. Pulls like crazy and no complaints whatsoever. I used to have 373's and then went to 411's and the gas milage was hardly effected. stall locked up at 40 mph which made it very streetable.

2000 Pontiac Trans am. Built bottom end. T-rex cam, stage 2 ls1 heads, Ls6 intake manifold, 42lb fuel injectors, slp cold air induction kit, slp line lock, TNT F1 nitrous kit (never been used) with 10 lb bottle, Race built 4l60e transmission, yank pro thruster 4400 stall converter, 3.5 inch 1200hp PST driveshaft W/1350 yoke, Moser 9 inch rear end W/4.11 gears, BMR adjustable lower control arms, BMR torque arm w/driveshaft loop, Wolfe 6 pt roll cage, Pacesetter longtube headers 1 3/4, TSP catted Y pipe, SLP loudmouth 1 cat back exhaust, torque thrust 2 rims 17x9 in front 17x11 in back

nice setup dude...most importantly it reminded me that i might need to do injectors if i do a cam :-/
Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont worry about the injectors, im sure Slowhawk would of told me if i need injectors too. Yours is at 116k? damn, im at 98k. th350 is most likely what ill put when my trans goes, with a giant stall that is.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maggiemike
ya, it seems no matter what cam you talk about someone will say that they are happy daily driving it, so you're right it's just a matter of opinion. seems like the ms3 is really easy to tune, it's $110 cheaper for the kit too. the ms3 with a 200 shot of nitrous seems like enough to max out the power potential of my 116k mile ls1, my stock 4l60e, and my 10-bolt. if not, there's always race fuel and a little more nitrous lol.

unless you guys think the trex would be 2 tenths faster than the ms3 with my setup with 373s or 410s?
trex being two tenths faster... depends on what heads you go with... if you go with an average set of heads PRCls6s or PRC5.3s.. im going to say there is going to be minimal difference..
but you also have to think.. you could go with a nicer set of either of those heads with an ms3 over the trex...
if i had to guess.. i would say max 1/10 and half a mph..
BUT, ms3 will be easier to tune.. and will be more street friendly..

nice setup dude...most importantly it reminded me that i might need to do injectors if i do a cam :-/
you dont have to... if you have the money and are gonna spray.. go ahead and do them.. if you are on a budget build... dont worry about them.. you already have the bigger injector size..
Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

i've done some logging though and noticed that my injectors have gotten up as high as 85%. as a ford guy we were always told to stay under 80% to be safe. i'm still leaning towards the ms3 right now just cause it's cheaper and easier to tune. i guess we'll see what happens. first thing is first, need a differential or a complete rear end!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've done some logging though and noticed that my injectors have gotten up as high as 85%. as a ford guy we were always told to stay under 80% to be safe. i'm still leaning towards the ms3 right now just cause it's cheaper and easier to tune. i guess we'll see what happens. first thing is first, need a differential or a complete rear end!
im way above 85%...

full bolt ons H/C intake yada yada yada... and spraying a 175..

Quick Reply: Trex with 3.73s and an SS3600 - Acceptable?