Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tappet camshaft for Gen III?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tappet camshaft for Gen III?

Is there anybody that has ever had a solid lifter flat tappet camshaft made for a Gen III engine? This would be for a dirt circle track application. The engine specifications don't rule out the Gen III except for the camshaft, rules state it must be a flat tappet cam, only .480 lift at the valve, no roller or mushroom style lifters. There is a cubic inch limit of 360ci also, all cast iron, no aluminum block or heads. The plan is for a iron 5.3 block bored to standard 5.7 size, early iron 6.0 heads (milled to about 64-65cc's), Victor Jr single plane, and Holley HP750 on alcohol just for kicks.

What are some options here?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:01 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Try LSM or JRC, I think they can get you a core to grind it on.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

TTT......

Anybody else?

Also, would the stock rod be OK with a light piston and ARP bolts at 7200rpm?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump this up, I'm looking into building a dirt class engine and it has very similar rules, with a LS1 being legal except for a tappet cam. No restriction on block material, so a stock LS1 dry sleeved out to 3.95" bore with the iron 6L heads is what I had in mind. Dual plane only, so would have to use a performer manifold.

The only thing holding me up is how a flat tappett lifter would react to spinning around in the stock lifter trays..
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Anyone make a 1.5 rocker for these engines? See what the lift is with a rocker this ratio? And to put a flat tappet cam in these engines-I would think you would need to sleeve the lifter bores for the lifter-a special made lifter to work with the trays or-be a link bar type.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by driver56
TTT......

Anybody else?

Also, would the stock rod be OK with a light piston and ARP bolts at 7200rpm?
I spin my stock crank stock rod stock piston 6.0L to 7800 every shift every pass this year.... with just arp rod bolts.

so I would think you would be fine.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

You don't need a "special" lifter, you just need one with the oil band in the right location. The LS1 has a standard lifter size of .842, same as the old style SBC. You can do away with the lifter trays too, you only need those to keep the lifter FROM spinning in the bore, you WANT a flat tappet to spin. Still interested in this combo, but changed directions for the current combo. Now we're going USMTS/Outlaw modified with the engine using DART heads and a big solid roller cam.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Ok guess I didnt clarify myself- The roller lifter has a bigger body than a flat tappet lifter-the lifter bores would either need to be sleeved for the smaller body or a lifter with a body same size as the roller needs to be used. I do know that the flat tappet in the SBC dont use trays. I dont want to come off as dick in any way. I do see it possible to do for these rules and a different rocker ratio to lessen the lobe lift at the valve. Really dude-sorry if I started on wrong foot. This setup sounds awsome-these cars freakin move on dirt. Goodluck and please let us know how it works.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tillery
Ok guess I didnt clarify myself- The roller lifter has a bigger body than a flat tappet lifter-the lifter bores would either need to be sleeved for the smaller body or a lifter with a body same size as the roller needs to be used. I do know that the flat tappet in the SBC dont use trays. I dont want to come off as dick in any way. I do see it possible to do for these rules and a different rocker ratio to lessen the lobe lift at the valve. Really dude-sorry if I started on wrong foot. This setup sounds awsome-these cars freakin move on dirt. Goodluck and please let us know how it works.

No biggie. I'm pretty sure the roller body and a flat tappet body are the same size (GM sizes anyway 0.842"), I'm going to the shop today and I'll check to make sure. I hope this engine doesn't turn out to be a turd, I don't see how it can with the parts that are going in it.......

Quick Reply: Flat tappet camshaft for Gen III?