Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Bolt Hole

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Bolt Hole

So I was using the head bolt holes to move the short block around today, and I must have not had enough threads in because one of the bolts ripped out of the hole now I need to know if I can just run a tap through the hole and be okay or is it more serious?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Teching In

depending on the severity of the threads that were damaged, youo may be able to run a tap through it. Try it out. Worst comes to worst you can buy a sleeve/threaded insert and install it.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1BadGTM
depending on the severity of the threads that were damaged, youo may be able to run a tap through it. Try it out. Worst comes to worst you can buy a sleeve/threaded insert and install it.
Ok, I read that I can make my own tap out of an old head bolt. True? And where do I look for this sleeve insert? Thanks alot for advice/help
Old 04-20-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just buy a real tap and chase the threads
Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

or drill and tap it larger, then use a stud. ARP sell them.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

I can never find the right metric size taps, does anyone on here sell them ?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevied916
just buy a real tap and chase the threads
I bought a cheap tap set from harbor freight. Its done me wonders. the best thing about it is if i break a tap im not mad because it was prett cheap.

OPTION 1: you need to figure out the thread pitch. buy a thread pitch gauge can be had at harbor freight or auto zone for a couple of bucks. ususlly comes in a tap set. then you need to know the dameter of your head bolt shank. then you pick the tap out of your set and chase it in to your bolt hole nice and straight.

OPTION 2: Buy a hrelicoil thread repair kit from your dealer or somewhere. follow this link and scroll about 3/4 of the way down. this is for a vette but..... ahh nevermine. yeah same engine. you know that already.
http://www.timesert.com/html/gm.html

Optiion 3 if you cant make it the same size drill it out bigger and go with oversized head studs. this is the most expensive way because of the cost of the head studs.

HTH

Mike

dont worry I'm going to need your help soon too. got a buddy who has some sort of early 60s chevy truck. I think its a fleetside any whoo, he wants to buy my spare LS1 and stick it in there. going to need help never done such a swap. have no clue... correction.... some what of a clue but not alot of knowledge on how to do this.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1BadGTM
I bought a cheap tap set from harbor freight. Its done me wonders. the best thing about it is if i break a tap im not mad because it was prett cheap.

OPTION 1: you need to figure out the thread pitch. buy a thread pitch gauge can be had at harbor freight or auto zone for a couple of bucks. ususlly comes in a tap set. then you need to know the dameter of your head bolt shank. then you pick the tap out of your set and chase it in to your bolt hole nice and straight.

OPTION 2: Buy a hrelicoil thread repair kit from your dealer or somewhere. follow this link and scroll about 3/4 of the way down. this is for a vette but..... ahh nevermine. yeah same engine. you know that already.
http://www.timesert.com/html/gm.html

Optiion 3 if you cant make it the same size drill it out bigger and go with oversized head studs. this is the most expensive way because of the cost of the head studs.

HTH

Mike

dont worry I'm going to need your help soon too. got a buddy who has some sort of early 60s chevy truck. I think its a fleetside any whoo, he wants to buy my spare LS1 and stick it in there. going to need help never done such a swap. have no clue... correction.... some what of a clue but not alot of knowledge on how to do this.
Awesome thanks for the help. I am going to Harbor Freight to explore. PM whenever you want with questions, although I am far from a guru. Always like to see more old trucks
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

I went tap shopping, and all the sets I could find at HF and Home Depot go from M10 to M12, the head bolt hole is M11 right?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

M11x2.0 GOOD LUCK finding a tap that size.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Doesn't sound like your messed up but the top 2-3 threads.. Depending upon how far the threads got boogered... You can take an old head bolt, grind two sides down flat with a grinder, Grease it up real good and slowly work it in and out of the hole (cleaning metal off in between) until it is smooth again. Shouldn't take but a few minutes and a little patience.. I have done it a time or two before.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fade2blk500
Doesn't sound like your messed up but the top 2-3 threads.. Depending upon how far the threads got boogered... You can take an old head bolt, grind two sides down flat with a grinder, Grease it up real good and slowly work it in and out of the hole (cleaning metal off in between) until it is smooth again. Shouldn't take but a few minutes and a little patience.. I have done it a time or two before.
Ok thanks alot, yes it is only the first 2-3 threads. I'll try that. Anyone know where to find that M11X2.0 tap?