Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building ls1 block what do i need for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks to all of you for you 0.2 cents Im defintly going to do everything i can to make my engine reliable as possible at 550+ does anyone recommend a certain brand for pistons/rods combo? and pushrods? I want a cam thats gonna sound nasty as hell yet give me a broad powerband. whats your ideas about that? i've heard that the gm hotcam sounds good and is an all around great cam but i want this thing to sound nasty!!! Also should i get a bigger throttle body? im pretty sure il get an aftermarket intake mani as well. thanks for all your help
Old 05-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Teching In

oh yeah i already bought arp headbolts :[ can i still get away with these? if not anyone want to buy them lol?
Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BFTII40
thanks to all of you for you 0.2 cents Im defintly going to do everything i can to make my engine reliable as possible at 550+ does anyone recommend a certain brand for pistons/rods combo? and pushrods? I want a cam thats gonna sound nasty as hell yet give me a broad powerband. whats your ideas about that? i've heard that the gm hotcam sounds good and is an all around great cam but i want this thing to sound nasty!!! Also should i get a bigger throttle body? im pretty sure il get an aftermarket intake mani as well. thanks for all your help
You need a cam thats going to like boost, look at the exotic performance plus camshaft. They have sound clips on their website it is definetly what your looking for. As far as brands of pistons any name brand manufacture will do, Diamond, JE, Ross, Mahle, wiesco, etc.... Comp makes a good set of pushrods. Arp head bolts are fine if your running low boost and good gaskets.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be fine with the bolts. If you're going to rev the **** out of it, i would agree on some forged guts. I like Wiseco pistons mainly because they tend to have more meat around the pin boss where it is really needed. Try to stay away from China or India forged rods like Eagle, Scat, Cat, etc. Compstar does a pretty nice job finishing an overseas blank, but I'd still stick with some good old Crower sportsman rods for the money.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Teching In

i checked on the cam and omg thats exactly what i want! im gonna start with ordering the connecting rods and pistons n then once i have the money il order everything else.. should i get gm gaskets or from an aftermarket company? also i have efi live and i tune my truck with that.. i know that i can tune an ls1 with it, is there anyone in the florida area that tunes with efi live? I'm pretty sure once this thing is done il need to get it tuned right away. any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

A lot of people on the boards would recommend going with a Speed Density system. It will compensate for things that MAF can't read.

But I'm not sure if it is really necessary.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
A lot of people on the boards would recommend going with a Speed Density system. It will compensate for things that MAF can't read.

But I'm not sure if it is really necessary.
The stock maf is fine for low boost, theres no need to switch over to speed density.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allthrotle
The stock maf is fine for low boost, theres no need to switch over to speed density.
low boost < x
x = ?

Guinness doesn't help me type correctly

I'm also considering a nice little LS1 swap with a blower so this would definitely help with budgeting.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
low boost < x
x = ?

Guinness doesn't help me type correctly

I'm also considering a nice little LS1 swap with a blower so this would definitely help with budgeting.
Low boost anywhere from 1 to 10lbs. Well at least thats what I consider low.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allthrotle
Low boost anywhere from 1 to 10lbs. Well at least thats what I consider low.
Wow that IS low.

Does the necessity of SD tuning change with the TYPE of FI also? Just guessing here, but it would seem more important on a centri or turbo. On the others I can't see how it would really be that important. I'm asking because my plan would only be able to fit a twin-screw.

Quick Reply: Building ls1 block what do i need for boost?