Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building ls1 block what do i need for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building ls1 block what do i need for boost?

Hey everyone, im building a procharged ls1 to drop in my nissan 240sx..the block is apart right now and i will be building it from the ground up and i'm not quite sure what to get piston/rod/etc wise.. my goal is to be getting around 550 wheel and il be slapping ls6 heads on too. I don't know what cam to get and i'd really like to get some opinions on what anyone else is running compression wise so any info would be greatly appreciated. also im quite confused as to pushrod sizes? rocker arms lifters...The car will be constantly beat on and over revved as it will be a drift car. I'm relatively new to v8s and i don't want to do anything wrong here. thanks for your time!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Launching!

humm, well. first off how much boost will it be running? Rocker arms you don't need the stock ones are pretty good ( atleast at that power level) push rods just go with some hardened ones the correct length.

what pistons will you go with? if your using stock displacement pistons i'd go 6.0 heads so you can get your compression ratio in the 9's if your going to knock on the rev limiter a lot i would probabaly go with some really good connecting rods.

have to tell us what YOU want. i know nothing about drifting really. what RPM do you plan to spin to?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Teching In

ok well basically il be on the rev limiter constantly. i really need a reliable setup. il be running atleast 4-7 lbs of boost. I really don't know what pistons to get, i guess something in the 9's like you said? I'd really like to beef up the block so that it can withstand the punishment that it will be taking.. what connecting rods should i get? and should i get stock main bearings? Basically i figure that 550 maybe 600 wheel should b reliable enough that its not too much power and not gonna blow up on me. I want it to be as reliable as possible..i've already bought ls6 heads from someone one on here the guy still hasn't shipped them yet and its been like two weeks im getting a lil worried bout it. but if i would have known to use 6.0 heads i would've done that instead.

the stock rockers will work?? id really hate to use the stock ones and then it fail on me. ..also pushrods what size should i get? its kind of confusing when i was looking them up. thanks for you help
Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Teching In

bump for some help on cinco dem maio
Old 05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

If your running stock ls6 heads all you need is stock length pushrods. as far as pistons just put a good set of forged pistons in it. If your only running 5 to 7 lbs you dont need anything other than pistons and maybe a set of arp rod bolts. I put down 523rwhp through an automatic on the stock long block. Honestly your not asking for much. Ive seen manual procharged ls1's with a good set of pistons and rod bolts put down 600 to the wheels.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use ARP main and head STUDS and not bolts
Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Use ARP main and head STUDS and not bolts
I dont think studs are really needed on something that running low boost. Low boost meaning 5 to 8lbs.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by allthrotle
I dont think studs are really needed on something that running low boost. Low boost meaning 5 to 8lbs.

ya but they are nice for when you need to pull heads
Old 05-05-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id also like to know this as well. Id be very curious to see what an otherwise stock LS1 would need in order to produce 550-600rwhp safely.

If I were to get a good set of piston, connecting rods and rod bolts, would I be ok on stock compression and running 550rwhp?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Striker
Id also like to know this as well. Id be very curious to see what an otherwise stock LS1 would need in order to produce 550-600rwhp safely.

If I were to get a good set of piston, connecting rods and rod bolts, would I be ok on stock compression and running 550rwhp?
You can hit the 550 mark with no problem. You can lower the compression just a tad bit if you want alot of people use 6.0 heads with bigger chambers to bring it down.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Launching!

if your doing boost or a high lift cam you'd need new valve springs. and i'd reccomend hardened pushrods.

wouldn't the thickness of gaskets possibly throw off dementions on rocker arms to need shorter/longer ones?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Y2K WS6
if your doing boost or a high lift cam you'd need new valve springs. and i'd reccomend hardened pushrods.

wouldn't the thickness of gaskets possibly throw off dementions on rocker arms to need shorter/longer ones?
No the gaskets are not going to effect the rocker arms. But yes valve springs and pushrods are definetly a good idea.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can hit the 550 mark with no problem. You can lower the compression just a tad bit if you want alot of people use 6.0 heads with bigger chambers to bring it down.
ok fair enough. My plan was to see if I can safely get away with simply leaving everything else stock other then the really weak components. If I can get it to 500rwhp safely, Im a happy man!

I figured the pistons would be the number one problem, second rods, correct? I dont wanna change the cam, or touch the heads if I dont need to be. Just build the bottom end.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

ok fair enough. My plan was to see if I can safely get away with simply leaving everything else stock other then the really weak components. If I can get it to 500rwhp safely, Im a happy man!

I figured the pistons would be the number one problem, second rods, correct? I dont wanna change the cam, or touch the heads if I dont need to be. Just build the bottom end.
The rod bolts are what you need to change. Also valve springs and pushrods are a good investment as well but, Pistons are the biggest thing Id worry about.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your going to spin the hell out of it and hit the rev limiter I would do titanium retainers, with dual valve springs, hardened push rods, and a full roller rocker. If you are set on the ls6 heads just get a dished forged piston to put you in the 9.5-1 copression ratio. Some nice forged rods, and I second arp main and head studs. Also upgrade to a ls2 timing chain or a double roller, and a ported ls6 oil pump. Just my $.02
Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
If your going to spin the hell out of it and hit the rev limiter I would do titanium retainers, with dual valve springs, hardened push rods, and a full roller rocker. If you are set on the ls6 heads just get a dished forged piston to put you in the 9.5-1 copression ratio. Some nice forged rods, and I second arp main and head studs. Also upgrade to a ls2 timing chain or a double roller, and a ported ls6 oil pump. Just my $.02
Good post and really I would go 317 heads instead of 243's with a dished piston...And you can prolly prolly get away with stock rockers but the HS upgrade is advisable.... but that may be just me.....
Old 05-05-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rod bolts are what you need to change. Also valve springs and pushrods are a good investment as well but, Pistons are the biggest thing Id worry about.
I know about the rod bolts, thats a first. I just didnt think that with boost I would need to replace the pushrods and valve springs tho? I know that in a heads/cam application its a good idea. As for rods, would they need changing?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

I know about the rod bolts, thats a first. I just didnt think that with boost I would need to replace the pushrods and valve springs tho? I know that in a heads/cam application its a good idea. As for rods, would they need changing?
No rods arent needed. I would suggest the springs and pushrods only because the stock pushrods arent that great and have a bit of deflection and when your adding boost your putting more pressure on the springs, litterally. You dont have to do this its not a must but its a good idea and if you plan on ever running more boost in the future then it would be a must have.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I think I got ya-

-Forged Pistons, pushrods, valve springs and we're good to go then. I thought for sure the rods needed replacing as well. What are the stock forged rods good for anyway?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not disagreing with "allthrotle" but if your going to pull the engine and do some machine work and put in forged pistions why not spen the extra $$$ and throw in forged rods. Once you get use to 500 hp you will want 600 hp and then your back to being limited by your stock rod. Also it would suck to break a rod and trash the block and have a couple thousand $$$ repair instead of a couple hundred $$$ for rods.

Quick Reply: Building ls1 block what do i need for boost?