Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Flooded Street vs. LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Nest time you find yourself in too much water situation, quicly find a high spot and turn off the car. Heck walk home or take a snooze. I have been trapped in flash flood twice and that is exactly what I did, but no issues with H2O in motor. Those cars are not meant to go through any water.

Try taking a long 1/2 hour drive at highway speed the rest will dry now and long drive will evaporate any water residue from inside motor.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Nest time you find yourself in too much water situation, quicly find a high spot and turn off the car. Heck walk home or take a snooze. I have been trapped in flash flood twice and that is exactly what I did, but no issues with H2O in motor. Those cars are not meant to go through any water.

Try taking a long 1/2 hour drive at highway speed the rest will dry now and long drive will evaporate any water residue from inside motor.
I learned my lesson...haha

all I need to fix so far is the high idling...if I drive high, can I mess the motor?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Teching In

wow, i thought this was a joke topic... then i saw it was for real...

Why didn't you just turn the whole car upside down and let the water drip out?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS7_FORMULA
I learned my lesson...haha

all I need to fix so far is the high idling...if I drive high, can I mess the motor?
You mentionned TB gasket not sealing properly. Check that
Old 05-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Banned

I checked the TB gasket and its fine...I sealed it really good and still idling at 2ks! Any other suggestions? Perhapes my MAF or the sensor on the air lid got too wet?

my car is a 6 speed, when Im crusing and let go of the gas, my mph start rising rather than lowering...whats going on?!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

I think that the more I drive the car, the idle gets higher...new record, 3ks-3.5ks RPM's!! Got home, turned it off and let it cool off...waited an hour turned it on and it idled at 1.5 slowly increasing through the minutes to 2K RPM's.

...so while on, I checked my three air sensors (Air Lid, MAF and IAC).

Idling at 2ks, I Took off the air lid sensor and idle went a bit down...hmmm seems like that sensor works? Put it back on and the idle went back to 2ks....

Again idling at 2ks, I now took off the MAF sensor and idle went high about 2.5Ks or so...ok?? So then I put it back on and went back to 2ks...

One last time idling at 2ks, I finally now took off the IAC sensor on the TB and nothing happend....put it back on and nothing happened....no idle increase or decrease....could my IAC sensor not be reading anything??????? Maybe thats my promblem towards why my car can't idle at 1k??

What do you think of my hypothesis?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Banned

I cleaned the IACV and it was dirty. Hoping that would fix the high idle and no....still the same....checked the vacuum hoses and they look fine to me...no cracks.

The only thing that goes through my mind is either cleaning the MAF since it got water and see if that works or buy a new ICAV. I disconnected the ICAV and nothing happened, it was still idling high!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

I cleaned the IACV and it was dirty. Hoping that would fix the high idle and no....still the same....checked the vacuum hoses and they look fine to me...no cracks.

The only thing that goes through my mind is either cleaning the MAF since it got water and see if that works or buy a new ICAV. I disconnected the ICAV and nothing happened, it was still idling high!
Check your IAC, your MAF, and your TPS. You could also use a spray bottle with some water or WD-40 in it, to spray around the intake/throttlebody and check for vacuum leaks (if there's a leak it will cause the fluid to bubble). Just try to avoid spraying directly on electrical sensors/connections/wires. I'd also recommend bringing your car somewhere like Pepboys or Autozone and having them check your battery and alternator.

Other than a high idle, is the car doing anything else out of the ordinary? Does it feel weak, does it sound weird, is it misfiring/backfiring, is it making any unusual noises..?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Banned

no noises or weakness...just a very high annoyin idle. I dont even want to turn it on!

If I take off the IACV would the RPM change?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Banned

ok, Im going to annoy you all LS1tech friends again...

today in the morning, I took off my IACV motor and turned on the car and off to see if the motor was working...it seemed like it was because the little plug was going out and in...all of a sudden the little plug pops out!!

So I put it back in and tested again to see if it would pop out again............

it was ok after a few tries, so then I decided to put it back on the TB and turn the car on............MY IDLE CHANGED! Now its below 1ks....and it feels like the car wants to turn off and when I rev it backfires! It smells rich too...............

I took off the smooth bellow and compenents before that to see the little plug through the TB, turned on the car and off and it didn't move...the little plug didnt go in or out....

So you think there is problems with my IACV?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Is the car backfiring only when you let off the gas, or is it stumbling when you push the gas as well? Again, as well as the IAC you should check your TPS, your MAF, and have your battery/alternator checked. It's also possible the O2 sensors could've been damaged while the car was in the water.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

sure sounds like a IAC problem to me.. had the same issue on a rsx, idled at 3k, new iac and fixed.. we made a cover plate to wait for the new iac to come in, idled perfect.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

5 pages and no one has told him to also change the rear axle fluid and possibly the transmission too?
Old 06-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eskimo
5 pages and no one has told him to also change the rear axle fluid and possibly the transmission too?
why?

It feels the same actually...
Old 06-02-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

why?

I think he might be making fun of your apparent lack of knowledge.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Well some of us actually like to help folks out instead of just being a sarcastic dick. That is the original purpose of the forum not totally bashing unexperienced members. What good does it do them if they ask questions & only recieve insults & smartass comments? None, thats how much.

It's sad to say but recently there has been a influx of smartass members on here who would rather **** in everyones threads than offer any help or advice. Which is pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

thanks mike...if he was a noob and be in my shoes, getting water in his engine, he would have been crying right now!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

why?

Because both the rear axle and Transmission have a vent hole that if fully submerged will allow water to get into and contaminate the fluids and thats bad.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It should be fine man. I had engine slam packed with water to the point the starter wouldn't budge it. I didnt know it had water in it when I tried to crank it, long story. Anyway, I pulled the plugs and hit the starter to pump out all the water. I then changed the oil, and put new plugs in it. It fired right back up and I ran it until it got hot, then changed the oil again and it was fine.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
Because both the rear axle and Transmission have a vent hole that if fully submerged will allow water to get into and contaminate the fluids and thats bad.
Correct....

Also is there any place you can run a scan on it?