Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would TR224 cam Vs. MTI Stealth cam sound with LT Headers & aft. market catback?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2002, I see the difference in overall power between the Stealth II and the TR224 as being very negligible. They will make a little different power at certain RPMs, however. But again, overall there's not going to be a nickel's worth of difference. The TR is going to make a little better power before peak HP but is going to drop off just a little quicker after the peak HP. It won't require such a high shift point to see it's full potential...or one could say that it won't be able to take advantage of as high of a shift point and as numerically high of a gearset. It's according to which way you look at it. Again, we're talking SMALL differences here. So one has a little more exhaust duration (which would work better with a car that is exhaust restricted in any way) and one has a little more lift (which would take better advantage of heads that can support the extra lift.) These are small differences. The LSA is 2 degrees wider on one. That's going to help out the idle appreciably, cost you a little power below the HP peak, bring the peak HP RPM up just a smidge, and give you better power after the HP peak.

Ok, having said all of that, the Stealth II IS going to have a better chance of idleing stealthy. Now you can get the same idle out of the TR224 but it will be at a bit higher idle which may be perfectly fine with you. If so, go for the TR224. If you are going to be exhaust limited in ANY way, go for the TR224 or the SSI if you want to play it a little safer on the exhaust idle smoothness. If you want a cam that pulls GREAT all the way to 6800 RPM and has a great chance of having a smooth exhaust idle, go with the SSII. Also consider that you will have some degree of valvetrain noise with ANY lobe aggressive cam. Your exhaust may be perfectly smooth but that doesn't mean someone can't tell you have a cam.

So, the choice is yours! Good luck!
Old 11-21-2003, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just noticed that you said you're sticking with 100% stock heads and no cuttout. You'll need a free flowing catback and headers to take advantage of a reverse split cam. A cuttout isn't necessary but the catback should be freeflowing for best results. This is less of an issue with a single pattern cam and even less of an issue with a standard split. The reverse split NEEDS a freeflowing exhaust.

Also, stock heads are not going to be able to take advantage of lifts over about .550, IMO. It won't hurt power to have extra lift but you're just subjecting your valvetrain to more strain and increasing valvetrain noise for nothing by having the extra lift.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colonel thanks for the awesome post. Your being of awesome help here.

Just a few more questions before I do the purchase.

1) Where would the TR224 cam redline at? What about the stealth II cam?

2) You mentioned "one has a little more exhaust duration which would work better with a car that is exhaust restricted in any way". I assume the TR224 would work better for me (since it has more exhaust duration) because my exhausts are still considered restrictive? Little confused about what you mean is restrictive and whats not. I am going to have kooks LT 1 3/4 headers, high flow catted y-pipe, dynomax bullet muffler followed by the corsa catback - is this still considered restrictive? I assume what your trying to say is if I going with cutouts the MTI II stealth would work better and if Im going with the exhaust setup stated above in blue the TR224 would work better for me? Sorry. Im just a little confused on what you really mean by restrictive.

3) About the one that has a little more lift (I assume its the MTI SSII), it wont perform better than the TR224 for me since Im going to stick with stock heads. correct? In this case the TR224 should be better for me?

4) Again you, mentioned "if you are going to be exhaust limited in anyway, go for the TR224 or the SSI". Still dont know what you mean by exhaust limited. Is my setup above written with the blue color considered exhaust limited?

5) You mentioned "you'll need a free flowing catback and headers to take advantage of a reverse split cam". Assuming that you are refering to the SSII cam, are you saying that with my exhaust setup above again in blue the MTI SSII will perform better than the TR224? The words restrictive, limited, and free flowing are confusing me as I dont know if your comparing my setup to the stock setup or with open cutouts.

6) Last question. You mentioned "Stock heads are not going to be able to take advantage of lifts over about .550, IMO. It won't hurt power to have extra lift but you're just subjecting your valvetrain to more strain and increasing valvetrain noise for nothing by having the extra lift." Again I assume your talking about the SSII cam here. So in this case the TR224 will be better for my setup?

Sorry. Im still a noob to all of this. Sorry if I sound retarded. Just want to make sure I choose the right cam because in my case - if its going in, it will stay in.

From what your saying, I kind of feel like your advising me to go with the TR224 if Im going to stay at the same setup (which I will). The only thing I have to do is tune it at a little higher RPM rate and Im good to go right?
Old 11-22-2003, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just got in from the track and I'm headed to bed but I thought you might be interested in knowing that my SSII cam ran 11.3 @ 120 MPH tonight!

I'll answer all of your questions tomorrow.

(BTW, your exhaust doesn't really sound that restricted to me. I consider "restricted" to be a muffler that doesn't perform, a small Y-pipe, and/or stock manifolds.)
Old 11-22-2003, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! cant believe that was n/a and just heads and cam..etc

Dont tell me that run was on nittos? You are running the stock 10 bolt right? thats a 911 turbo killer right there. Thats my dream! and you're living it . Just try to get into the 11.1s-11.2s so we can call you the Mclaren F1 challenger hahaha lol.

Major Congrats! Two thumbs up for the results. Now update your sig and start showing off the new numbers!

Hope ill hear from you tomorrow. Im still delaying my cam purchase until I get more feedback...
Old 11-22-2003, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

1. I can't speak for the TR224 since I've never had one but I would guess the shift points to be about 6600 with a good setup. The Stealth seems to do good to 6800 with my setup...maybe higher. I haven't found the limit yet. Everytime I raise the shift point, it goes faster.

2. You have great headers, really good cats are pretty much as good as no cats, a Dynomax bullet is completely free flowing, and it seems like I've heard some good things about the flow of a Corsa. Assuming that the Corsa is really freeflowing, I'd say the Stealth II will work great for you. And hey, cuttouts are cheap. Toss in an electric valve like I have to make it convenient.

3. Both the SSI and the SSII have .581 lift. Like I said before, you won't see much benefit from the extra lift (I didn't say you absolutely wouldn't see ANY. Theoretically there might be a tinsy tiny bit of power in the extra lift.) The extra lift of these cams isn't really a major plus unless you have the heads to take advantage of them.

4. I think I covered this.

5. I'm not saying that the SSII will perform better than the TR224. The advantage of the reverse split is that with a great flowing exhaust you don't need as much exhaust duration as you do intake duration. Therefore you can have a cam with less total duration that makes similar power to a single pattern cam of the same intake duration. This gives you less overlap which translates into a smoother idle. That's where the SSII shines, making 224/224 type power with a smoother idle.

Ok, what I mean be a restrictive or limited exhaust is one that has stock manifolds, shorty headers, a 2.5" Y-pipe, stock cats, and/or a stock muffler or any other muffler that doesn't flow REALLY well. Any of these conditions could mean a restrictive exhaust in my eyes.

6. Like I mentioned earlier, Both of the Stealth cams have the .581 lift.

I'm honestly not sure which cam I want to advise you to get. Lemme kick it around a bit. I'll probably have some more questions for you.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks again Colonel.

So far I would assume the TR224 to be faster at the 1/4mile run since it would have a big advantage using the lower RPMs in 1st gear.

I dont know if the MTI SSII cam would beat a TR224 from a roll at high RPMS like 5500+ as I hear at some point the TR224 cam will be making 10-15rwhp more than the SSII cam.

I just put another post up asking about dynosheets for both cams but I doubt ill get much responses.

When I came back from San Antonio Raceway I got really worried about choosing the right cam. I happened to hear an X1 cam using stock heads with LT headers ORY pipe and a loudmouth and it was TOOOO loud and lobey. I know my case would be way different on both TR and SII cams but I still dont know if I want to go for more power or play it "safer" with the SSII cam.

I have no idea how much loby-er the TR224 is when compared to the MTI SII cam (both tuned and no cutous) which is one of the biggest deciding factors for me here. If its the same to the point that both will pass for warranty conditions when needed it would make more sense to go the more powerful cam choice.

The other big deciding factor is how big of a performance difference am I going to sacrifice a lobier sound for? One person (think it was Cannibal) mentioned that the TR224 put 2-3 car lengths when racing in comparison to the SII cam and now you mentioned I wont see a nickel worth of difference? ...

I want to do the cam install this week. Hopefully before wednesday which means I have to buy the cam no later than tuesday and have overnight shipping.

For the sound issue, Im definetly going to do tuning. Raising the idle is not a big issue if its on 1000 rpms and under. If I do so would both sound the same?

The disadvantages to the MTI SSII cam that I see is that its going to put more strain on the valvetrain and increase valvetrain noise for nothing by having the extra lift (and using stock heads). The advantage I see from this cam is it would give a higher top speed than the TR224 (though it might be dangerous on stock tranny and on the valvetrain as well?)

Oh man. This is getting hard.

By the way someone mentioned that I would be able to hit 150mph in 4th gear and almost 180mph in 5th gear after the cam install. Is this true? hmmm ... will I shift to fourth at the 1/4 mile track after the cam install? (im using stock 3.42 gears I have a 6 spd)

If you have any questions Colonel, Please shoot and ill probably answer back within the hour.

Dont know if this would make a difference but Im going to go with valve Springs, retainers, hardened pushrods..etc from whoever earns my business..

Hope I try to avoid purchasing the TR224 cam without more research.. getting really itchy here..

Last edited by 2002_TAWS6; 11-24-2003 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt..
Old 03-26-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

2002-TAWS6, I see you decided on getting the TR224. How do you like it? I am thinking about getting the MTI SII cam myself. I too am going to run stock heads and I have the same exhaust set as you except I have a Magnaflow.

-Ulysses
Old 03-26-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

ulysses, I now have: the TR224 114 cam, Kooks SS LT headers, Kooks CATTED y-pipe, asp pulley, airlid, 160 stat, and other bolt ons (i dont have a ported TB or a descreened MAF which is like the only bolt ons left ... practically). I dynoed 379.94rwhp and 366.98rwtq on the current setup.

Let me tell you one thing. You will not be able to hit 400rwhp with the TR224 or SSII if you stay with stock untouched heads and have CATs. It just wont happen. Many people say 400rwhp is within reach and YES I agree but I am staying with my cats and I doubt removing them would give me another 20rwhp to reach my 400rwhp goal. Maybe with an electric water pump, ported TB, removed cats and tuned a little lean would do it but i just dont think its worth the money (might as well spend the money on heads and go way faster).

I jumped from 360rwhp to 380rwhp after adding the headers on to my cam only setup. Keep in mind my car was also tuned before and after the headers install and that was with a kooks catted y-pipe.

My original goal was to hit 400rwhp NA and 500rwhp on a 100 shot. But now I know its not going to happen in my case.

Also with my current setup (380rwhp) I raced a stock 02 Z06 (my roommate) and i beat him in the 1/4 mile. I believe the only reason I beat him was because of his traction issues. His times were crappy 13.1 sec he sucked at launching. So we finally decided to race from a roll to see a closer comparison.

I raced him from a high 2nd gear roll (I drive a manual and have stock gears). On the 3rd honk he pulled half a car length and by the time I hit 4th he had 3 car lengths on me. He dynoed 363rwhp completely stock. Those cars are freaking fast in 3rd gear!

I hope you dont expect that your cam only setup would beat an 02 Z06 in a street race. 1/4 mile run ummm maybe you'd take him if you were a much better driver than the Z06 owner. If he slaps a set of nittos on there its going to be the other way around for sure.

To be completely honest, I dont think that im even an average driver. On my 275 nitto drs (didnt reduce tire pressure before 1/4 mile run) I ran a best of 12.85 @ 115mph on a 2.2 60 ft. I have a problem tapping the rev limiter now as the rpm tach seems to be TOO slow where I would have to do a little guessing here and there. I hit the rev limiter on 6200rpms in first gear (according to my tach) when it is supposed to hit the rev limiter at 6700rpms! Yes the stock tach is junk when it comes to this. First I thought the tach reading was off because of the stock F1 tires spinning to much. After getting a set of nittos its a little better but still off. If this is confusing you pm me and ill explain.

Anyways, the cam is great. It is stealthy without headers. Trust me been there done that. After you put the headers on there EVEN with a catted y-pipe its a different story, you would hear the cam sound big time. Car seems a little shakey at idle sometimes but not something that is annoying totally fine with me (although im a picky person).

When I first had the cam installed and had the stock headers/manifolds (360rwhp) I raced a completely stock 01 SS from a first gear roll and put 3 car lengths on him in 3rd gear spinning my tires thru most of first gear.

I also raced a Cobra Saleen mustang recently 380rwhp (i *think* it was the stock supercharged ones). On a 2nd gear roll I beat it when i hit forth but it was nose to nose until 3rd gear.

I just recently added a 100 shot NX wet kit and now im dynoing 482rwhp and 588rwtq! Raced the same Z06 again (same roll from 2nd gear) and instead of being pulled by 3 car lengths I pulled him by 4 car lengths of a lead until I decided to stop at 125-130mph. The Z06 owner claimed that if I kept going I would of pulled him even more as the distance kept growing. Talk about a 7 car lengths of a difference on spray!

one thing I regret doing was trying to be stealthy and make power at the same time. I ended up being a little greedy by going with the tr 224 and now I sometimes think I should of went slightly bigger. Perhaps I should of went with a much bigger cam and no headers and it might of sounded just how it sounds now but with more power? dont know about this.

Keep in mind that TR just came out with a new cam that made 450rwhp on stock heads! Thats no where near stealthy but hey its just another option out there for the same price.

Long post but hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions as I would be more than glad to help.

Last edited by 2002_TAWS6; 03-26-2004 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah and I forgot to answer you first question.

HELL YEAH I LOVE THE CAM! I cant believe I was actually driving my car for over 2 years without this thing! I was missing out big time!

I **** my pants after the first cam test run. I could not believe I felt a nice difference all over the power curve. You gotta love an extra 500rpm limit before shifting too.

I laughed my *** off during the stock SS run. I could HEAR him shifting at different times although he wasnt shifting to long before I did remember i was faster
Old 03-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Sweet Cheeks

So wait. You got beat by an 02 Z06 and you have a 224 TR cam? Dude, you need to tighten up those driving skills. Either that or by a 4l60E and get a converter. Not to bash, but I have a few bolt ons and a YPT4200 and I rip Z06s out of the hole so hard that my 5-7 car lead doesn't even begin to diminish until 100+. Congrats on the cam though and good luck.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dear John, Oh yeah Im sure that verter helps you out big time. Im sure I would be able to beat Z06s from a hole/dig. I beat my friend's 02 Z06 everytime from a hole but I bet you from a 2nd gear roll your chances are way less. Not only does he spin, he fishtails a little in first, spins thru 2nd and chirps when he hits third gear and his car doesnt even have a knn filter in it or anything completely stock.

Thats exactly why I said, "I hope you dont expect that your cam only setup would beat an 02 Z06 in a street race" . I guess I should of been more accurate with that statement as I meant I hope he doesnt expect a tr 224 cam only car would beat an 02 Z06 from a roll . Even from a 1st gear roll I might jump him at the beginning but once he hits 3rd gear thats when you start thinking "should I still keep my pedal down to the floor?". Theres a HUGE difference between 1/4 mile stuff and racing from a roll. I wonder if I could beat a Z06 from a roll with a set of 3:73s on there? I would think my chances would be better but I dont know if I could beat a Z06 from a roll. Remember he put 3 car lengths on me buy the time i hit 4th.

What do you guys think?

IMO in a 1/4 mile race Fbody+tr224 vs. 02 Z06, it would all come down to the driver. If the Z06 has nittos on there I would say his chances are way better. Unfortunately im not THAT biased about fbodies j/k .I've heard good drivers ran 11.9s completely stock on stock tires in 02 Z06s. I also heard someone ran 11.5s with a set of nittos and a cold air intake!

I DO know that my driving skills suck right now. This is mainly because I have a hard time doing a good burnout in my M6 car at the track. A line lock will be something I will be buying very soon. Some people argued that my cam only setup does have high 11 sec potential but I doubt it really. I sure wish its true. Gotta get a shiftlight and see some better time slips without constantly tapping the rev limiter thru every freakin 1/4 mile run
Old 03-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Well Z06s are sick off a roll, but I didn't realize you were talking about a roll race. I really don't consider it a fair race unless it's from a dig, but that's just me. I would still think you could hold one off with that cam, but ah well, Rock and Roll!
Old 03-27-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell ya they are too fast from a roll. Those M12 trannies rock!

one thing for sure is that a Z06 wont disappear from me even at a roll race. The distance really stayed even at 3 car lengths until i hit 4th gear and decided to slow down. If you think about it, its kinda weird he beat me when im putting 20 more horsepower to the ground. But hey they weigh much lighter, have better aerodynamics, and most of all have a much better tranny.

Its funny how I pulled the same owner by 4 car lengths on spray and he kept saying I kept pulling further and further away lol. Gotta love the spray for back up
Old 03-28-2004, 01:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
When I first had the cam installed and had the stock headers/manifolds (360rwhp) I raced a completely stock 01 SS from a first gear roll and put 3 car lengths on him in 3rd gear spinning my tires thru most of first gear.
Cool! I always wonder about "unofficial" matchups like this, it's neat you had a chance to run with them. With stock gearing you must have some mustard to spin through first gear...that was a very interesting write up, general power comparisons are fascinating if you don't have a chance to see lots of mods in person. That cam seems to be a fantastic combination of tq and hp for these engines. Btw, interesting you noticed that 3rd gear in the Z06, that's a good point; Z06's have shorter 1-3 gears, and the same 1:1 4th, and a much shorter 5th if you get that high. Personally I like the ls1 ratio set better because of the closer 1-4/ The Z06 set has a big jump from 3rd to 4th, but hey with 350+ rwhp it really makes little difference.

Anyway the TR224 is a cam that has a lot of positives, so I would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.

1). How does it pull in 2rd gear from 1500 rpm. For example, if you floor it at this speed and rev it out to 6500 before you let off. I mean, does it feel like stock for a short while, and then build steam gradually, or does it pull like stock, then suddenly kick in. Or does it just start hauling right away...I imagine this would be the best "jump-on-it" street gear from legal speeds also, if you downshifted into 2nd at 3000+ rpm, but I'm curious about lowe RPM pulling for fun also.

2). Any chance you can get a quality sound, preferably video clip, through the LT's and catted Y-pipe from the outside, at idle but more importantly revving. Perfect would be drive by clips, but hey you asked for it. Lol, I would like to see how much of the "shake", or "unsmooth" idle is transmitted through multimedia, with this level and combination of mods.

3). Are there any drivability issues that were not sorted after your tuning. I see you have an ASP pully, so I would wonder about vaccum for A/C, and/or stereo, or other cam related stuff etc.

4). How usable is 1st gear on the street. Do you feel that a minor gear change would be worth it (i.e., 3.73), or would not going to the higher gear be worth it. If you decide to go with a shorter rear gear, you might even have less traction in 1st, but then it would be like a liter bike or any very powerful vehicle, where the shorter gearing really comes into play in the higher gears, if you are smart and patient with first you end up being faster overall.

5). Thanks!
Old 03-28-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

2002_TAWS6...That's a great writeup you wrote there!
Carnvita... I have the TR224 also only mine is on a 112LSA so here are my answers to your last set of questions. Hopefully 2002TAWS6 replies also.

1. With the stock 3.42's no cam is gonna have neck snapping acceleration smashing the gas at 1,500 rpms. If I would do that in 2nd gear it would feel around stock until 2500 rpms where the TR224 starts to come alive and from then on out she makes the power.

3. I am also running an ASP Pulley and have had Mikey from Rapid Motorsports do my LS1 Edit tune and I have no problems. My car runs flawlessly!

4. 1st gear 386rwtq @ stock balding F1's don't make a recipe for hooking. My new GSD3's are going on soon so hopefully they make a big difference. From a dead stop I can launch and hold the gas down without the tires breaking loose until 3500 rpms where they start spinning. If I proceed to hold the pedal down and keep shifting I can burn them to the start of 3rd gear where they eventually grab some traction. With Nitto's or some better tires 1st gear should be useful.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Carvinta, glad you enjoyed the write up. Thanks for the comments. Im glad I could help out fellow fbody enthusiasts

1) The car pulls great in every rpm range. "I" would say it does not feel stock at any point. I had a great power gain all over my rpm range. Keep in mind that at 3200rpms i dynoed 195rwhp/300rwtq stock (max rwhp was 314rwhp on that run). On the cam run (before headers install - max rwhp was 360rwhp) I dynoed about 200rwhp/328rwtq at 3200rpms. Now thats a gain of about 5rwhp at some point but keep in mind that the tq gain was 28 at the wheels. Knowing that my headers gave me another 20rwhp / 17rwtq at max dyno figures I would guess that bumped up the gains more even on the lower rpms. The car *might* be making the same rwhp figures at 1500rpm on 2nd gear but when you floor it youll notice that the cam will make the rpms climb faster the more you hit the throttle pedal. Does that make sense? I had the same concern before I purchased the cam as I normally cruise the highway on 6th gear and I wouldnt want to feel less power even at ANY point. If you have the same concern I would say at the worst case it could feel like stock but never slower. I would guess it would be faster but the hp and tq figures are just too close at that point. The only reason i would think it would be faster is because of how much faster the rpms start climbing. Either way the power gain will definetly take care of that issue for you. Dont worry you'll be satisfied . On a 1500rpm pull on 2nd gear it might feel stock from a 1500rpm roll for a milli second but once you hit 6500 rpms thats a car length of a difference if not more lol. This cam doesnt do much kicking in at a certain rpm point. In other words, the dyno sheet does not spike up hard at some point. But based on what I FEEL during a WOT on 1500 rpms I would say it starts hauling *** all the way linearly not TOO drastic though. Also I noticed that this cam made a major improvement in high speed runs. The speedo does not start slowing down at 120mph like it was stock it just keeps going. I would say the TR224 is not the best cam for power gains in very low rpms but its a great cam that makes decent power all over the rpm range. Hope this makes sense.

2) I wish I had a digital cam corder that records sound. Unfortunately I dont know anyone that does but if I get my hands on one ill definetly let you guys check it out. One thing I noticed was that the cam (even before headers install) made my exhausts sound louder. I guess it was because the exhaust was being more efficient powerwise. Also the jump from 6200 to 6700 rpm rev limit made the exhaust sound even louder which was cool . Now that I have my headers on there man I love it. If you guys come by san antonio I would be more than happy to drive by and have you guys check it out. Only thing that was a little weird was that my mechanic and tuner thought my engine is shaking a bit over average. The said its probably because of my cam.

3) I have ZERO driveability issues. The only thing that is starting to **** me off is the ASP pulley. This thing squeals all day and during drive thrus it drives me nuts. I dont quite understand what you meant by "so I would wonder about vaccum for A/C, and/or stereo, or other cam related stuff etc." But the AC wasnt effected at all, stereo and all else is perfect. The worst thing I can think of is that at night my speedo lights dim for a millisecond sometimes as if the battery is dying. BUT its NOTHING you would ever notice unless you were as picky as myself. Not even 1 passenger noticed that up to date. Its just those little things that I pay attention to sometimes. If it werent for my spec 3 clutch vibrating during take off I would say the car feels just as smooth as it was stock. But ofcourse it does shake a bit at idle and the valvetrain noise is still existant.

4) This is an awesome question. Im glad you asked. On the stock tires (275 40ZR17 F1s) 1st gear became troublesome traction wise. I could leave tire marks even from a 1st gear roll. I used to enjoy messing around by doing lots of foot dancing on the gas pedal on 1st gear. Now that I have 275 nitto 555DRs I miss the fun I had in the past. These tries hook GREAT even on the street. The one time I visited the track with those tires and tried a burnout it hooked so damn well I thought I actually launched in 3rd gear! I was totally looking into getting 3:73s. I sometimes feel that 1st gear is slower now because of having too much available traction but i raced a Z06 from a 1st gear roll and noticed I was wrong. I really looked into getting 3:73s until I had the best race ever last night. I raced a 2004 911 turbo freaking finally as my goal was to beat those. I looked for those cars for ever. Ofcourse I raced him on the spray. We ran 3 times. On the first run it was a 2nd gear roll in a curvy road which was kinda dangerous so I only beat him by 2 car lengths (didnt want to keep going faster). Then we were side by side at the red light and I was freaking out because of his 4WD. So I turned the arm switch on and planned to go WOT on 2nd as I didnt want to spray in first and break my 10 bolt. Light goes green and I get a tiny head start. Once I saw him jumping THAT hard on me I said the hell with it and sprayed in 1st gear LOL. I didnt want him to beat me at any point lol. I could not believe it hooked up fine with 588rwtq in 1st gear! I guess maybe I was just lucky enough to spray at higher rpms that had lower tq figures and that saved my ***. Of course on every run I beat the 911 turbo. The best race was the last as it was the best when it comes to comparing the real power difference between the 2 cars. We raced from a 2nd gear roll and by the time I hit 4th I already put 4 car lengths on him. It was fantastic. The 02 Z06 (my friend) was also driving along and he raced him as well from a 2nd gear roll because he could never get traction in first. He too beat him but the 911 turbo kept up with me the faster I went. I would say a 911 turbo would beat a Z06 if they were to race from a third gear roll or a 1st gear race from a dig. The owner was SUPER cool and he also let me drive his car. Loved his car and I understood right away how people hate turbo lag hehe... Anyways now that I love the way it hooks on spray in first gear im worried about getting 3:73s. This was my first time ever spraying on 1st but now I know it wont be the last. Ill have to do a little research on the 3:73s with the 100 shot and decide. But if you go NA and cam only get the 3:73s without a doubt IF you get good tires like nitto DRs or better. You are very right with this statement: "where the shorter gearing really comes into play in the higher gears, if you are smart and patient with first you end up being faster overall". I totall agree.

5) Your very welcome Hope this is helping you out some in your future mods.

6) let me know if I missed anything and ill be glad to re-explain.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ryan02SS, Thanks for the comments again. Im glad this post is helping you guys out some .

1) Your right about this. 1500rpms is just too too low.

3) Ryan, do your pulleys squeak? Mine sound like i have freaking crickets in the hood compartment

4) Wow didnt know your traction issues were even worse than mine. Well my stock f1s were still not too worn out.. certainly not bald to say the least. I freaking love the nittos. Many thought the 17" nittos sucked but i love em theyre staying.

Ryan, do you have a ported throttle body? I dynoed 379.94rwhp exactly and this was tuned. Do you think you would be able to hit 400rwhp with a couple of more bolt ons? Do you have cats? would be interested to hear about your setup and bolt ons.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

for more info about the 911 turbo kill click here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...40#post1203840