Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing My Head Gasket: A Noob Love Story (Please Help!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Question Replacing My Head Gasket: A Noob Love Story (Please Help!)

Hey guys...

So, after changing the oil one day in my 2001 SS, I decide to make sure my radiator's topped off, and then I find that it looks like peanut butter...but with the consistency of house paint. I figure...that's not right (did I mention I'm a noob?). I hear that it could be burnt coolant, and since I hadn't ever changed it, I figured it could be that. I took it to CarX to get get it flushed, and then they tell me that it's oil in the coolant--head gasket probably cracked and that it would take thousands of dollars for them to fix. Oh, by the way, the car drives fine, no noticeable engine problems at least. I drive home, call some friends who're big car buffs and they say that you could get a head gasket for $100.

Being that my car's probably worth nothing to sell anyway, and that I've always wanted to work on a car, and that the worst I can possibly do is further break an engine in an already monetarily worthless car, and I'd gain experience regardless, and if I do in fact fix it, I'd have my beloved car for much longer, and that I'd be ready to start doing upgrades....I figured it was a win win situation.

SO...that's where I'm at today. I bought $100 worth of tools that I never had, including a compression gauge. I read up on some stuff, and I want to do a compression test.

PREFACE: The Compression Test
According to what I've read, I need to take out all 8 plugs, keep the throttle wide open, plug the gauge in one of the plug sockets and turn the engine over a few times and get measurements. Well, I've never touched my spark plugs before...in fact, no one has. (Ok, for a guy who really enjoys his car, I've been a bad boy when it comes to maintenance). I'm at just over 90,000 miles. With enough work, I can get the wire off of the coil pack; however, I've tried for a couple hours trying to get the wire+heat shield off of the plug. I twisted, pulled, even tried a vice grip, and it's to no avail. I figure that I'm probably going to have get new wires anyway.

So...for plug wires that have never been pulled, any suggestions on how I can get them out? Should I just force them and replace them? Is that boot puller tool really worth it? Should I pull out the chainsaw? Am I missing something?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pull them off hard, chances are they are old and may break off at the end anyway. You can get MSD's for $60.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by weaklt1
Just pull them off hard, chances are they are old and may break off at the end anyway. You can get MSD's for $60.
X2. Mine had only 45k miles on them and the previous owner changed the plugs every 15k miles half of the wires still broke. 99BlancoSS has a great special for wires and plugs.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably don't need head gaskets, dexcool can get very nasty muddy looking if its not changed. Just flush it a few times and see what happens before you pull the heads off. Might save you some time and money.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you suspect a blown head gasket or cracked head, just get this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-snap-on-...efaultDomain_0

It simply draws air from the radiator filler neck and detects combustion gas. No disassembly required. Very reliable if done properly with fresh fluid.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm thinking it's actually oil in the coolant since there is separation in the liquid...in addition to the milky color.

The CarX guys said that they didn't want to flush it for fear of coolant going into the other way into the oil. I checked the dipstick and it looks clean...like regular oil. I'm guessing if coolant leaked into the oil, it'd look milky too?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Given the symptoms...what're the chances that the actual block is cracked?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered one of the many leak stoppers? I would flush the cooling system with regular water a couple times and see if it gets cloudy quickly. I realize you live in a four climate area and it is starting to get cold at night, so do this all in one day. You might give the stop leak a try. Be sure to follow the directions.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

edit: Deleted that picture...the way it changed the forum widths was annoying me...plus I unlocked the clamp.

Sorry for all the noob questions...
I'm trying to get at the passenger side spark plugs but according to a writeup (and I agree) it'd be much easier if I removed the AIR hose altogether. However, I can't seem to figure out how to remove that plastic check valve clamp. I can barely lift the top part but only the front half of it.

Last edited by cyberkill; 10-22-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you checked the following for signs of coolant:
- engine oil (looks like you have),
- automatic transmission fluid,
- power steering fluid;

the AT and PS coolers are cooled by engine coolant... they are also the sources of oil-in-coolant if thy leak internally.

That clip: you wedge a screwdriver in between the serrated teeth from one end or the other and separate the teeth enough to expand the clip.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by joecar
Have you checked the following for signs of coolant:
- engine oil (looks like you have),
- automatic transmission fluid,
- power steering fluid;

the AT and PS coolers are cooled by engine coolant... they are also the sources of oil-in-coolant if thy leak internally.

That clip: you wedge a screwdriver in between the serrated teeth from one end or the other and separate the teeth enough to expand the clip.
I had the same thought on the at or ps cooler leaking.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know how anyone can get to that Cylinder 8 wire/plug...although I only found out about the coil pack rail AFTER i jimmied out the wire from underneath the car...Took me like 4 hours for just the 8 wires! ARGH! I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

Oh, and I don't know if this is a sign of anything (i.e. power steering cooler, etc), but after the cyl 8 wire came out, just the back part of the plug looked really dirty while all the other ones were white...I'll get a better look today and take pics...and hopefully post comp numbers.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Stick with it man. It may have taken you 4 hours this time, but next time I bet you can do it in half the time! Thats just how it is anytime you work on cars. Even experienced mechanics take a lot of time doing something the first time, and then learn how to do it much faster the next time. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

#8 plug is easier to access from beneath car.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

How many miles are on the car, Can you take a picture of the spark plug and post it?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberkill
I don't know how anyone can get to that Cylinder 8 wire/plug...although I only found out about the coil pack rail AFTER i jimmied out the wire from underneath the car...Took me like 4 hours for just the 8 wires! ARGH! I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

Oh, and I don't know if this is a sign of anything (i.e. power steering cooler, etc), but after the cyl 8 wire came out, just the back part of the plug looked really dirty while all the other ones were white...I'll get a better look today and take pics...and hopefully post comp numbers.

welcome to the wonderful world of changing plugs. Everyone has been there before on their LS1...and it sucks. For he #8 plug, its best you have the coil packs removed. Its going to be tough to remove the plug because its the original. Slip a 2-3 foot section of pipe over your socket and have at it. If you still need more room, remove the valve cover (4 8mm bolts).

btw, the peanut butter looking stuff in your radator is probably jellied up dexcool. Chance are if its the original coolant and has 90k miles on it, its 99.9% probably the dexcool is at fault.

dexcool fucked my car up. Clogged the radiator, overheated the engine, and blew a head gasket.
The following users liked this post:
gusbus7979 (03-23-2020)
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would first do a pressure test on the radiator and seee if it is leaking down. Easy cheap way to test for a HG or other cooling system probs. Also had a mechanic buddy who had the kit to test for exhaust gas in the coolant and borrowed it once. A great way to be sure but kinda $$$ at the time so I never bought one....
Old 10-23-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok...so...with a buddy and 3.5 hours, we managed to take off all 8 spark plugs.

I'll link to pics this time....

First...here's the radiator cap and a view inside of the liquid.
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/radiator.jpg

Now, on my power steering cap, I used to have more of this gunk, but I've cleaned most of it off since. Despite the color, it's more of a H1N1 flu phloem color.
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/ps.jpg

Ok...so the plugs. 5 of the plugs' threads were dry, but 3 of them were wet with oil, like these here. I think they were plugs 5, 8, and 7. Maybe even 1 too. I remember thinking it's more so on the plugs further back.
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/oilplug.jpg

All the plugs' looked the same on the top. Whitish grayish buildup on the electrode, not terrible, like so:
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/pluggunk.jpg

Also, the plate was charred, like so:
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/Plugtop.jpg

Oh, and by the way, my friend looked at the green dot on my radiator cap and it caused him some concern. I've been adding orange Dex Cool, but he said that the previous owner may have used the glycol ethylene
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/radcap.jpg

A little back story...(and please don't hate me for being so negligent)
I bought the car used in October, 2002. It's a 2001 (and I believe he said he bought it in July, 2001).

I don't recall this being an issue around the first couple of years, but I do remember fairly early on, I started consuming lots of oil It's about the same rate as now. Basically, I'd put 6 quarts of 10w40 Mobile 1 Synthetic + Mobile 1 M1-206 filter. After a while I'd get a Low Oil light, and then I put in 1 extra quart of oil. Then the next time the Low Oil light comes on, I change the oil. Here're my last 3 oil changes:
4/18/09: 84322
7/11/09: 86927
9/19/09: 89470
Usually when I take out all the oill, I'm at 3.25-4 quarts.

I'm about 75% sure that that was happening before this incident: There was one time I was driving home in traffic and I saw my temp gauge peg at 280 (or whatever the rightmost temp is), and then suddenly, it just came back down to 210 (or whatever the middle is). Then it went all the way to 280 again, stayed, and came back to 210. It did this repeatedly during a 30 minute drive home. It didn't work all the time, but sometimes braking suddenly when it was climbing made it go back down to 210. I want to say this was sometime in the summer of 04 or so. Around that time, I bought orange Dex Cool and mixed it with water and filled up the radiator. I want to say that it fixed that problem

I have never flushed my radiator, ever.

In June or July (right around the oil change), I checked my radiator to make sure everything was good and I remember that the reservoir had clear orange liquid. Nothing even remotely milky or what it is today. So this strange milky thing that's happening is recent.

Right around the same time, or maybe a month after, I started getting power steering whine. I bought a quart of power steering fluid, and I remember the GM guy saying "Sorry man, it's as small as they come," (referring to the quart). Within about 1-1.5 months, I used up the whole quart! The whine would get really bad. Then I'd open the PS cap and see that gunk buildup on the cap (more than what's shown in that picture above). I'd wipe the gunk clean with a paper towel and then top off the PS fluid. Within a few days to a week, I'd make a rather sharp turn and suddenly the PS would wail! Afterwards, any move I make with the steering wheel would cause a whine. If I shut it off for a few hours and start it up again, the whine would be mostly gone, but not 100%. Usually not very long after (a day or 2) the whining would be persistent. I'd check the PS fluid reservoir and it's practically empty. The little dipstick doesn't even get wet at all. So this was the case and after 1-1.5 months, that quart was gone! Now, even though there was the gunk on the cap, the reservoir itself looked clean. Even after the engine was off, there wasn't anything ever floating in it. Oh, and after it was whining bad, if I'd top off the PS fluid, it didn't just go away. In fact, it was completely unaffected until I turned off the car for several hours. Then I'd have a few days+ of peace and quiet from the PS.

Now, On 9/19 when I did my last oil change, I just wanted to make sure radiator was good, and that's when I saw the milky stuff for the first time.

So...based on the story, the spark plug and other pics, does it lead anyone to any conclusions on what's messed up?
Old 10-23-2009, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberkill
Ok...so...with a buddy and 3.5 hours, we managed to take off all 8 spark plugs.

I'll link to pics this time....

First...here's the radiator cap and a view inside of the liquid.
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/radiator.jpg

Now, on my power steering cap, I used to have more of this gunk, but I've cleaned most of it off since. Despite the color, it's more of a H1N1 flu phloem color.
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/ps.jpg

Ok...so the plugs. 5 of the plugs' threads were dry, but 3 of them were wet with oil, like these here. I think they were plugs 5, 8, and 7. Maybe even 1 too. I remember thinking it's more so on the plugs further back.
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/oilplug.jpg

All the plugs' looked the same on the top. Whitish grayish buildup on the electrode, not terrible, like so:
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/pluggunk.jpg

Also, the plate was charred, like so:
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/Plugtop.jpg

Oh, and by the way, my friend looked at the green dot on my radiator cap and it caused him some concern. I've been adding orange Dex Cool, but he said that the previous owner may have used the glycol ethylene
http://home.comcast.net/~cyberkill51/radcap.jpg

A little back story...(and please don't hate me for being so negligent)
I bought the car used in October, 2002. It's a 2001 (and I believe he said he bought it in July, 2001).

I don't recall this being an issue around the first couple of years, but I do remember fairly early on, I started consuming lots of oil It's about the same rate as now. Basically, I'd put 6 quarts of 10w40 Mobile 1 Synthetic + Mobile 1 M1-206 filter. After a while I'd get a Low Oil light, and then I put in 1 extra quart of oil. Then the next time the Low Oil light comes on, I change the oil. Here're my last 3 oil changes:
4/18/09: 84322
7/11/09: 86927
9/19/09: 89470
Usually when I take out all the oill, I'm at 3.25-4 quarts.

I'm about 75% sure that that was happening before this incident: There was one time I was driving home in traffic and I saw my temp gauge peg at 280 (or whatever the rightmost temp is), and then suddenly, it just came back down to 210 (or whatever the middle is). Then it went all the way to 280 again, stayed, and came back to 210. It did this repeatedly during a 30 minute drive home. It didn't work all the time, but sometimes braking suddenly when it was climbing made it go back down to 210. I want to say this was sometime in the summer of 04 or so. Around that time, I bought orange Dex Cool and mixed it with water and filled up the radiator. I want to say that it fixed that problem

I have never flushed my radiator, ever.

In June or July (right around the oil change), I checked my radiator to make sure everything was good and I remember that the reservoir had clear orange liquid. Nothing even remotely milky or what it is today. So this strange milky thing that's happening is recent.

Right around the same time, or maybe a month after, I started getting power steering whine. I bought a quart of power steering fluid, and I remember the GM guy saying "Sorry man, it's as small as they come," (referring to the quart). Within about 1-1.5 months, I used up the whole quart! The whine would get really bad. Then I'd open the PS cap and see that gunk buildup on the cap (more than what's shown in that picture above). I'd wipe the gunk clean with a paper towel and then top off the PS fluid. Within a few days to a week, I'd make a rather sharp turn and suddenly the PS would wail! Afterwards, any move I make with the steering wheel would cause a whine. If I shut it off for a few hours and start it up again, the whine would be mostly gone, but not 100%. Usually not very long after (a day or 2) the whining would be persistent. I'd check the PS fluid reservoir and it's practically empty. The little dipstick doesn't even get wet at all. So this was the case and after 1-1.5 months, that quart was gone! Now, even though there was the gunk on the cap, the reservoir itself looked clean. Even after the engine was off, there wasn't anything ever floating in it. Oh, and after it was whining bad, if I'd top off the PS fluid, it didn't just go away. In fact, it was completely unaffected until I turned off the car for several hours. Then I'd have a few days+ of peace and quiet from the PS.

Now, On 9/19 when I did my last oil change, I just wanted to make sure radiator was good, and that's when I saw the milky stuff for the first time.

So...based on the story, the spark plug and other pics, does it lead anyone to any conclusions on what's messed up?
Didn't really read this whole thread....but do you have a factory power steering cooler? picture below. The silver pipe in the upper rubber radiator hose?

If you have it, its probably leaking PS fluid into your coolant, then when you shut the engine down and the coolant pressure rises for a little while its pushing coolant into the PS reservoir, which is what that gunk looks like on the PS reservoir cap.

Very simple fix for it all.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing My Head Gasket: A Noob Love Story (Please Help!)-dsc01665.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 10-23-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to be a dick by any means and I hope I don't come off that way... But someone has to say it..

time I was driving home in traffic and I saw my temp gauge peg at 280 (or whatever the rightmost temp is), and then suddenly, it just came back down to 210 (or whatever the middle is). Then it went all the way to 280 again, stayed, and came back to 210. It did this repeatedly during a 30 minute drive home. It didn't work all the time, but sometimes braking suddenly when it was climbing made it go back down to 210. I want to say this was sometime in the summer of 04 or so. Around that time, I bought orange De
Seriously dude.. PULL THE **** OVER!!!!!!!! My mother knows NOTHING about cars.. But she has enough common sense that if she says "O wow, this is not good at all", she pulls over and calls me or my father to come check it out/fix it/tow it.. I mean seriously, your car over heated and you just thought it would be fine.

It is one thing to not change spark plugs/check fluids/etc etc etc. But if something like that happens you just don't go on like nothing happened.. Take care of your car and it will take care of you. I'm not the best at it, but WOW!

Again, I hope you get it figured out and I was in NO way trying to be rude or whatever you want to call it.. But PLEASE just THINK!

Quick Reply: Replacing My Head Gasket: A Noob Love Story (Please Help!)