Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If someone dropped your motor, would you be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003 | 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Default If someone dropped your motor, would you be worried?

Hi Guys,
Just a question. If someone had dropped your freshly built motor whilst loading it onto the back of a low pickup because a chain broke...maybe falling 3-4 feet, would there be a likelyhood of internal damage?
Old 12-08-2003 | 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, it can't be a good thing. It could have done damage. Are there any visible cracks, etc?
Old 12-08-2003 | 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Hmm, it can't be a good thing. It could have done damage. Are there any visible cracks, etc?
I didn't see any, I think it landed on it's headers and sump...not sure
More concerned about the possibility of internal damage caused by the shock of a drop ...balance problems etc. Hoping there is no damage.

Any 'Spanners' here able to help understand the possible consequences?
Old 12-08-2003 | 07:03 PM
On The Tree

i really doubt it could do any damage other than what it directly hit and dented/cracked...
Old 12-08-2003 | 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as didnt land on either end of the crank you should be alright, if it curshed you pan though I would be checking for damage. also check to make sure no head bolts were pulled out, and obviously that here are no cracks were the impact occered.
Old 12-08-2003 | 07:17 PM
20 Year Member

I'd definitely check and replace the oil pan gasket. It's most definitely damaged and crushed, and you don't want a leak after you get it installed, or have engine damage because some of the damaged gasket material became lodged in the sump screen. I'd check and closely inspect the oil pan, and the oil pump and the sump. I would debur any scratches and nicks also. If you're superstitious, this is not a good omen.
Old 12-08-2003 | 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

The oil pan is a structrual part of the block and the alignment of it is critical. I would worry about damage to the pan and would drop it for sure. Be forwarned that GM recomends a special tool for aligning the rear parts up after dropping the pan. Also you will find that the gasket (rubber o ring style) is held in place by 2 rivets. They are for convenience only and can be drilled out permantantly.

Here is a quote from the tech manual from a 99 fbody.

"Important: The allignment of the structural oil pan is critical. The rear bolt hole locations of the oil pan provide mounting points for the transmission bellhousing. To ensure rigidity of the powertrain and correct transmission alignment, it is important that the rear of the block and the rear of the oil pan are flush or even. The rear of the oil pan must NEVER protrude beyond the engine block and transmission bellhousing."

Make whoever dropped responseable for taking it apart and have it checked.
Oh what fun it would be to pull back out and fix it later if something is wrong.

Last edited by DaleMX; 12-08-2003 at 08:05 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-08-2003 | 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

You dont want to hear this, but these blocks flex easily...and it may run fine, but all is not the same if I had to guess. Sell it, start over,
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would be concerned. The block is the foundation of a good motor, and could cause you to lose the whole engine if there is cracks or coolant leaks. It's hard to say what I would do, but I would be ready to go postal seeing my engine dropped.