Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harland Sharp Roller rockers backed off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harland Sharp Roller rockers backed off?

I built this motor about 3000k miles ago, I used red loctite when I installed them and torqued them to 22Ft-lbs. It sounds like it's constantly getting looser and I need to re-torque them again, it's only been about 100 miles since the last time I torqued them.

I'm going to pull them this weekend, clean out/chase the threads to get all of the old loctite out and re-loctite them in. Is there something I'm missing here? I bought them second hand, but they've been fine for 3000 miles until now.

Specs on the motor is just a stock rebuilt short block with PRC 2.5 5.3 heads, 233/239 cam, 7.400 Pushrods, PRC double valve springs. Brand new LS7 lifters.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you cheked the preload on the lifter? i think with those cam specs you have a smaller base circle and you should be using a 7.425 pushrod
Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you know for a fact they are backing out?

Has your torque wrench been calibrated?

Did you clean the threads prior to using loctite (no oil)?

Do not use a tap in the threads, use a thread chaser. The tap will alter the thread class of fit by removing more material from the tapped hole in the head.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Do you know for a fact they are backing out?

Has your torque wrench been calibrated?

Did you clean the threads prior to using loctite (no oil)?

Do not use a tap in the threads, use a thread chaser. The tap will alter the thread class of fit by removing more material from the tapped hole in the head.
Kinda confused, what else would they do? The bolt was loose on one of the rockers on the passenger side head by several turns, this happened specifically after a WOT run, immediately returned to the garage to fix it.

Threads were clean.

I'm leaning more towards this being a pushrod length issue as the rockers are noisy in general. I was actually consdering using brake cleaner to clean out the threads. I upgraded my cam/changed heads when I re-built the motor. For whatever reason I ended up re-using the 7.400 TSP pushrods I had from my previous cam kit from TSP.

I ordered a tool this evening, I'll check 'em and order the new ones probably next week.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Banned

check the preload. you shouldent go past 2 1/4 turns i think after zero lash
Old 12-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

In my opinion, you wasted your money and gave yourself something else to worry about. I have seen engines make 1000hp on the dyno with GM factory rockers with no problems. I have also had a car's engine completely destroyed while I was running it on the dyno due to an aftermarket rocker backing out. This caused a valve to collide hard with the piston...next thing you know, I am mopping up coolant and oil from the shop.

I classify most LS aftermarker rockers as "snake oil". They aren't going to do anything positive for you, and chances are they will upset your stomach.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Reckless
In my opinion, you wasted your money and gave yourself something else to worry about. I have seen engines make 1000hp on the dyno with GM factory rockers with no problems. I have also had a car's engine completely destroyed while I was running it on the dyno due to an aftermarket rocker backing out. This caused a valve to collide hard with the piston...next thing you know, I am mopping up coolant and oil from the shop.

I classify most LS aftermarker rockers as "snake oil". They aren't going to do anything positive for you, and chances are they will upset your stomach.
I understand your position, but I disagree with you. My factory rockers had quite a bit of miles on them, my stomach was already upset waiting for one of the rockers to puke some bearings out. I got these for a decent deal, probably less then a new set of factory rockers.

Once I get the proper length push rods and put them back down to torque with some fresh red loctite I don't think I'll be worrying about it anymore.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Get yourself a p-rod guage and check your pushrod length. It is possible also the threads in your head bolt hole going bad, not allowing the bolt to "grip". Double check things carefully, inspect the bolt holes for unnusual wear.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Is it a good deal if your engine eats itself? Not saying it will happen, but it has happened.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Try tightening a bolt by hand until you get to zero lash and then count turns to reach 22 lb-ft on the bolt. Also, do you bring piston for each rocker pair to TDC for that cylinder prior to tightening the rocker?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

^^ there is a GM sequence for tightening them up, i remember i did that for mine. somebody hAd posted it up here.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ae13291
^^ there is a GM sequence for tightening them up, i remember i did that for mine. somebody hAd posted it up here.
You can't use that for Harland Sharp rockers.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Harland Sharp = Fail. I have seen them cause more catastrophic failures in LS engines than any other rockers combined. I have a set of low mile (32K) stock rockers from an engine swap that I just did if you want them pm me Ill sell them to you cheap just to stop your head aches.

Quick Reply: Harland Sharp Roller rockers backed off?