Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does Cam only keep you guys happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I dont think I am going to do heads for at least 5 years, going to be buying a bigger house soon. What do you gusy think of the T rex or MS3 or MS4, Hellion. I want a bad axx sounding car , drivability isnt a problem, I would actually enjoy it, I think.
Just keep your overlap under 25 degrees!

O.K., somewhat joking..but I guess if your intake is not a restriction, then I would just determine your max HP rpm and shift Rpm you can accomplish, and go from there.

I know this will not persuade you, but even a cam with a moderately aggressive overlap (~10 degrees) sounds really good. Similar to Nitroused383 idle clip.

I am not sure where the point of diminishing returns are at, but if you have the tuner to handle the overlap issues, and do your homework on peak IVC, Rpm's, etc..in todays world the definition of a small cam and big cam are very different than even 7-8 years ago..

With the proper setup, you could probably run any of those picks.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 12-22-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am using the same tuner studderin is using, New Era Performance , a sponsor on this site, so tuning wont be a problem. Just trying to get the right cam for my needs. I just dont want to go with a cam and then think its too small. All my life I have wanted a car that sounds bad axx and barely idles. I had a 1998 ss but had to sell it to settle down, that was 6 years ago, now I am settled down, own garage and ready to do it.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you do know a few people have put heads on and broke 500whp with this cam. Its not too small for what you wnat to do. Matt in SYC put it in his veet and had the idle set low, like 800 just to sound cool. lol
http://www.youtube.com/user/kc2giw#p/u/1/XZ-o4_WySIA

Last edited by studderin; 12-22-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kept me happy for a few months now my car feels like a turtle time for some heads and a fast 90
Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was happy for about 1/2 an hr..then I was like damn..I need more..I wanna do a 408 and some good heads..but Ima broke azz!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really, didnt know that you can break 500 rwhp with that cam. How long does it take for a shop to put it in and dyno tune it? Do I drop it off and leave it for a day or 2?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

I dont think I am going to do heads for at least 5 years, going to be buying a bigger house soon. What do you gusy think of the T rex or MS3 or MS4, Hellion. I want a bad axx sounding car , drivability isnt a problem, I would actually enjoy it, I think.
MS3 or MS4 sounds bad ***...if thats what you want..I did the MS4..lost low end power but I roll out 20 mph in first prob around 3500 and just put it the floor..she raps! if it was an auto with a stall it would be a lot fast I think!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

Heres my turd..If ya got time check out a few of mine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxFuFj3MSrw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQuoB...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EHix...eature=channel
Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, seems like most of you the cam only keeps you happy for about 4 to 6 months. Are you going to the track alot? I only go like once a year.
I was going to the track about once every 1 1/2 months. I was just power hungry.

I would go ms4 then.. When you get heads I would recommend changing it though, unless you want to flycut.
The ms4 absolutely is a very mean sounding cam, mine sounded like a drag car. Driveability IS a problem if your tuner doesn't know what the hell he is doing.

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
MS3 or MS4 sounds bad ***...if thats what you want..I did the MS4..lost low end power but I roll out 20 mph in first prob around 3500 and just put it the floor..she raps! if it was an auto with a stall it would be a lot fast I think!
Not trying to be a dick.. But you are actually telling me you lost Rwhp and Rwtq after installed that cam?
I HIGHLY doubt that.

I like the ms4 a LOT.. But there are MANY more cam selections out there, keep your eyes open.. Bigger is NOT always better. What intake will you have?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

bored already, if i could do it all over, i'd piece together a turbo kit with stock cam
Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
I was going to the track about once every 1 1/2 months. I was just power hungry.

I would go ms4 then.. When you get heads I would recommend changing it though, unless you want to flycut.
The ms4 absolutely is a very mean sounding cam, mine sounded like a drag car. Driveability IS a problem if your tuner doesn't know what the hell he is doing.

Not trying to be a dick.. But you are actually telling me you lost Rwhp and Rwtq after installed that cam?
I HIGHLY doubt that.

I like the ms4 a LOT.. But there are MANY more cam selections out there, keep your eyes open.. Bigger is NOT always better. What intake will you have?

I didnt lose hp or tq to the wheels it just feels slower down low off of an idle..had a different cam before I did the MS4..

My drives fine. My g/f that cant drive a stick can drive this thing. She slips the new clutch a bit(idk how cauz I cant Monster 3) but my tuner is amazing!!!!!!!! So it drives really nice..Very Very little surging..he said if I cant take that hed keep tuning on it.

All in all..Im happy with it..it just made me want more. Pulls crazy from 4000 on..

The MS4 cam likes a lighter car and a 4:10+ gear...Im geting ready to go with 4:30s I think..it sounds mean and sure turns heads..could be the red head in the passenger seat also
Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
I didnt lose hp or tq to the wheels it just feels slower down low off of an idle..had a different cam before I did the MS4..

My drives fine. My g/f that cant drive a stick can drive this thing. She slips the new clutch a bit(idk how cauz I cant Monster 3) but my tuner is amazing!!!!!!!! So it drives really nice..Very Very little surging..he said if I cant take that hed keep tuning on it.

All in all..Im happy with it..it just made me want more. Pulls crazy from 4000 on..

The MS4 cam likes a lighter car and a 4:10+ gear...Im geting ready to go with 4:30s I think..it sounds mean and sure turns heads..could be the red head in the passenger seat also
Ahhh, got ya.. Makes sense now!

My car weighed just a tad under 3k... 410s and a 4400 converter..
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the BBK SSI, got it from Studderin. It can all be changed if its holding me back. I got a great deal on the BBK $325 so I went for it. I have LPP long tubes with a catted y pipe and DHM cutout.

The other thing, it doesnt seem like i would save that much to do the cam myself. Maybe $500 for the labor, but I would have to buy the spring compressor and buy a new oil pump because the price they gave me was for porting the stocker. Doesnt really seem worth it to me. I think $500 for the install is pretty reasonable. Did you guys do it yourself?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

The other thing, it doesnt seem like i would save that much to do the cam myself. Maybe $500 for the labor, but I would have to buy the spring compressor and buy a new oil pump because the price they gave me was for porting the stocker. Doesnt really seem worth it to me. I think $500 for the install is pretty reasonable. Did you guys do it yourself?
You can rent a spring compressor from someone for cheap.. Oil pumps aren't that expensive.. You would end up saving around 350$ or so, depends on if you want to spend that money somewhere else and have the time/place to do a cam swap.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
LMAO CAM only bs...its funny how everybody who is CAM ONLY is running ported tb, heads, intake, under drive pullys ...hey man just do yourself a favor and get ahold of a sponsor and they will help you get THE cam you need... dont fall into this donkey dick world of odd ball named cam's...i am not saying that they dont work...just that every application is different...thats why there are so many to choose from..due to their being a slew of different applications..JMO
Cam only generally means bolt ons and only a cam. IE no aftermarket or ported heads. If they have non stock heads, it is heads and cam. Thats common knowledge here. You should have that by now.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

It doesnt seem like $350 is that much to save. I did my intake,motor mounts headers, clutch and hydraulics and saved right around $1000. I definetely have the place and time, i have a garage, heater, compressor and tools. I am debating on whether or not its worth the risk of messing something up for like $350 bucks. If i didnt have to bring it there to get tuned it wouldnt even be a question to if I would do it
Old 12-22-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

It doesnt seem like $350 is that much to save. I did my intake,motor mounts headers, clutch and hydraulics and saved right around $1000. I definetely have the place and time, i have a garage, heater, compressor and tools. I am debating on whether or not its worth the risk of messing something up for like $350 bucks. If i didnt have to bring it there to get tuned it wouldnt even be a question to if I would do it
In that case, I would do it yourself and put the other money towards a nitrous kit!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, some day, I need to port my TB or by a new one to match the 85mm hole in my intake first. The spring compressor at Autozone is huge and I doubt it will fit under the cowl so I would probably have to buy one. Did you do all your own work? (lemons12)
Old 12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, some day, I need to port my TB or by a new one to match the 85mm hole in my intake first. The spring compressor at Autozone is huge and I doubt it will fit under the cowl so I would probably have to buy one. Did you do all your own work? (lemons12)
AHHH, forgot about that, the one from autozone wont. I'm sure you could find one on here to rent.

I bought my current pewter one the way it is, although some things will be changed on it shortly.

On my old white TA I did it at a buddies garage with me and him.. Kinda sucks doing it on the ground during winter!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i see Tims tool, looks pretty good or the one from Speed.

Quick Reply: How long does Cam only keep you guys happy