Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started My cam swap....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, need to check lifter preload. some aftermarket cams have a smaller base circle and require the use of longer pushrods.

PTV- put some sort of hard clay on the piston close to where the valves will be, bolt the head on, put in pushrods, rockers, make it pretty much how it will run, you can do just one piston, one intake/exhaust, then spin the crank a few times, pull the head and measure with a caliper the thinnest part of the clay. not sure the minimum requirement, but i think its .100...

degreeing the cam will tell you if the manufacture slightly messed up grinding your cam, youll have to research this, you will need some tools as well, like a dial indicator, degree wheel. basically helps with advancing/retarding your cam. you have an adj. timing set, since your cam is spec'd to be ground 3 degrees advanced, maybe they only advanced it 1-2, heres where your adj. timing set help you get it in spec with what your tuner or cam guy wants for your motor.

you should check out ls1howto.com also
Old 12-29-2009, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

general accepted clearance is .080 intake & .100 exhaust for ptvc...if the cam was doctored you are okay but there are only a few sponsors that doctor the cam and you will receive a seperate sheet that gives the exact lifts, durations,lsa etc...if it isn't doctored and you just have a cam card that does not mean it was cut right...I know I have ordered parts before and they have been wrong or for a different car...my dad didn't even get a cam card with his cam ha...degree a cam is not bad there are instructions on here and probably comps website...you will need a degree kit...I got mine from comp...I mean I would at a min check the ptvc which can be done with a dial gauge and light checker springs with the piston at tdc...usually is closest somewhere between 10 degrees before/after...

I guess my question would be if I were you ok I trust the cam is made right and I got the right one...now I want to make sure...I mean you spun it and it didn't hit so you can have .005 ptv or .100 how would you know...at least by checking ptv you will know you have clearance...with degreeing you will know the cam is made correctly...most likely the cam is okay but why risk it...

fyi my 230/230 cam with stock 241 heads and stock mls gaskets was .072 on the intake and exhaust was around .120, so i retarded it 2* and got the PTV to be around .086 on the intake...now some are pushing the limits with the donkey dick cams around .050 and i have seen some whisker marks on some pistons after the heads were pulled...that is a little to close for comfort...

good luck on the build just some food for thought...

Last edited by chrs1313; 12-29-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Yeah its crazy i didnt want to pull teh ehads but **** now you got me thinking i should im going to call my tuner and ask him about it cause he specd it and comp grinded it soo i want to make sure ....hey thanks guys
Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMSS
You need to change your lifters and rockers for true reliability.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

also on the note of 'grinding cams' and such. which sponsors here doctor your cam and give a full cam card?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 209ryder
Yeah its crazy i didnt want to pull teh ehads but **** now you got me thinking i should im going to call my tuner and ask him about it cause he specd it and comp grinded it soo i want to make sure ....hey thanks guys
you dont have to clay the pistons, you can use a dial indicator and a light checker spring where your dual spring is now…what you do is get the piston to around 10* BTDC and then push the valve till it touches the piston, then take the reading of PTVC on the dial indicator, then do it at 9*, then 8* and so on down till you get to 10* ATDC…the lowest number is your PTVC for that valve (intake or exhaust)…

claying the piston is just another method of checking PTVC…
Old 12-30-2009, 07:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by zacht
also on the note of 'grinding cams' and such. which sponsors here doctor your cam and give a full cam card?
i am pretty sure thunder racing doctors the cams, IIRC any cam that Patrick G specs gets doctored if it is purchased through him...
Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

was just at harbor freight getting my engine stand and they have a cheap dial indicator for like $10, it comes with the stand and magnet too...its nothing nice but it will get the job done for a one timer...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

if you put the dots together your good to go. if you are off by a tooth, it is very obvious.

dont sweat it.

but but youve got a pretty decent sized cam so id definately check the PTV clearance.

and how did you choose PR length. did you use something like the comp cams PR length checking tool?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

My tuner specd me out everything ??? And handed to me and said here you go basically !!! i mean he is very reputable so i wouldnt think he would set me up with something that needed all that cause he know my exact setup to the ""T""
Old 12-31-2009, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 209ryder
My tuner specd me out everything ??? And handed to me and said here you go basically !!! i mean he is very reputable so i wouldnt think he would set me up with something that needed all that cause he know my exact setup to the ""T""
you still dont understand...i am sure everything is speced perfectly...but what happens if the cam was cut wrong, was thrown in the wrong box, etc...it has happened...unless you can read what the lobes are just by looking at it...

never hurts to double check...
Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Ok well im gonna have tyo get the dial indicator and do it the wya you were talking about cause i dont want to spend the time and money to take off the heads right now....Thanks for all the help guys you are all very cool and helpful
Old 12-31-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

well nick the install was fun and next week we're doing my cam and heads install!! mine is a TR cam from TR so i'm not worried about the PTV lol plus with 169K thats not my biggest worry at the moment
Old 12-31-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Hey, I was looking thru your pics and noticed your radiator fluid was green and the bucket looked greenish organish color. Not sure how far you are into buttoning her back up, but check out this thread and link, you may wanna flush the system when all done and then switch back to Dexcool when you refill the radiator as it is spec'd by GM. Not sure if the green stuff is all bad for the system, I am running the Dexcool mix.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tuff-dont.html
Old 12-31-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Titanws6
Hey, I was looking thru your pics and noticed your radiator fluid was green and the bucket looked greenish organish color. Not sure how far you are into buttoning her back up, but check out this thread and link, you may wanna flush the system when all done and then switch back to Dexcool when you refill the radiator as it is spec'd by GM. Not sure if the green stuff is all bad for the system, I am running the Dexcool mix.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tuff-dont.html
yep we're planning on doin that next week good lookin out bud!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by King Nothing
yep we're planning on doin that next week good lookin out bud!
Hey, I try to contribute when I can
Old 01-02-2010, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Yeah when i got the car he had it flushed and put the green in and i was gone for a while sooo the car has sat and i havent got around to changing it so its gonna be flushed with dexcool back in it autozone has a special buy one get the other free!!!! love it !!!!! Thanks for teh help bro its mostly dirt in teh bucket it was green as hell lol
Old 01-03-2010, 04:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
hope the cam was cut correct... spinning it two times by hand is not degreeing...might wanna do a search...maybe I am just over cautious but there is no way I would just line it dot to dot with all the tolerances in cams, chains, sprockets, etc...it gives good piece of mind too...
Straight Line did my cam dot to dot Chris and it has been fine for 3 yrs
Old 01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zacht
also, need to check lifter preload. some aftermarket cams have a smaller base circle and require the use of longer pushrods.

PTV- put some sort of hard clay on the piston close to where the valves will be, bolt the head on, put in pushrods, rockers, make it pretty much how it will run, you can do just one piston, one intake/exhaust, then spin the crank a few times, pull the head and measure with a caliper the thinnest part of the clay. not sure the minimum requirement, but i think its .100...

degreeing the cam will tell you if the manufacture slightly messed up grinding your cam, youll have to research this, you will need some tools as well, like a dial indicator, degree wheel. basically helps with advancing/retarding your cam. you have an adj. timing set, since your cam is spec'd to be ground 3 degrees advanced, maybe they only advanced it 1-2, heres where your adj. timing set help you get it in spec with what your tuner or cam guy wants for your motor.

you should check out ls1howto.com also
I'm getting ready to start my cam swap this winter too and I've been doing a lot of reading on "ls1howto.com" as well and there is some pretty in depth reading as well as pictures to help you along the way!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Straight Line did my cam dot to dot Chris and it has been fine for 3 yrs

trust me you dont wanna go down that road...i bet you would just throw pushrods in too without making sure they are what you ordered...no sense in making sure the part is correct before throwing it in the engine right? mistakes never happen when getting parts?

well degreeing/doctoring a cam is that preventative process...

everyone can build the way they want, i was just giving advise to maybe catch a small problem before it causes a big one...even though 99% of the time you will probably be okay...