Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot 225/229 Cam Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Patriot 225/229 Cam Experience

I've been kicking around cams for quite awhile now trying to pick out the correct cam for my set up. I've been pretty set on either a TV2 or a 228R cam but I spoke with Patriot yesterday about my heads that I'm ordering from them and they started talking about their cam which i didn't even know existed.

The cam is a 114 lsa and I was kind of looking to go with the 112 for the choppier idle. I do however have friends with 114 lsa cams that still sound great.

Does anyone have any experience with this cam at all?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt mess with that cam. Do a quick search, someone recently asked about Patriot cams and I think the majority of the responses werent in favor of them and/or people selling them to go bigger.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

I actually just bought this cam and will be having it installed within a week or so. When I researched this cam, I actually found that the people who bought it liked it. I would think most people who buy this cam (like myself) are looking for something for their daily driven car.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

i would think that it would be designed to match their head
Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

Here is a pic of the spec sheet I received with it:

Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Well i have that same cam and when i installed it i could not get it to degree in correctly. I run it anyway im gonna change it the first chance i get if you have an auto you will have to have a stall to go with it
Old 01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

I have a manual, I don't think this is the cam I'm going to end up with, I think I'm going to go a little bigger
Old 01-27-2010, 05:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mknight759
Well i have that same cam and when i installed it i could not get it to degree in correctly. I run it anyway im gonna change it the first chance i get if you have an auto you will have to have a stall to go with it
how can you not get it to degree in?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We recently tuned & dyno tested this camshaft in a M6 car with Patriot stage 3 heads. It made right at 400rwhp with all the bolt ons & LS6 intake.

Comparing this camshaft to a Torquer or 228R might not be a great comparison. The TSP camshafts were custom designed from extensive dyno testing & the camshafts are built by Comp Cams so they're American made.

You might also consider the PRC LS6 heads. They're priced similar to budget heads, but they're not budget quality. I'd go as far as to offer that if you buy both brands of heads, flow them & have a machine shop check both of them out. If you don't think the PRC heads outperform the competition we'll gladly give you all of your money back.

www.texas-speed.com
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I'm going bigger, but I running a lq4 with milled 243's. It is a GREAT street cam, and I'm extremely happy with the torque it made. But I decided to go with a custom grind. But I'm sure once I get the bigger cam in I'm gonna wanna spend more money on something else, nothing is ever enough. It put my 4400 lbs. truck in the mid/low thirteens on motor, haven't sprayed it yet but I want to go 12's NA with 200 shot on reserve for FI nutswingers...
Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
We recently tuned & dyno tested this camshaft in a M6 car with Patriot stage 3 heads. It made right at 400rwhp with all the bolt ons & LS6 intake.

Comparing this camshaft to a Torquer or 228R might not be a great comparison. The TSP camshafts were custom designed from extensive dyno testing & the camshafts are built by Comp Cams so they're American made.

You might also consider the PRC LS6 heads. They're priced similar to budget heads, but they're not budget quality. I'd go as far as to offer that if you buy both brands of heads, flow them & have a machine shop check both of them out. If you don't think the PRC heads outperform the competition we'll gladly give you all of your money back.

www.texas-speed.com

Off topic but I just gotta say, I can't ******* wait to give TSP my money as soon as it becomes available.
You guys ALWAYS give/get great feedback, always willing to help, and always have prices that our nearly impossible to beat.
You're level of R&D is top notch from what I've seen.
No I'm not some nut-huggin retard, however I do spend a tremendous amount of my free time and work time on this forum.
I don't post much, but I'm ALWAYS on and always learing.
****, this site will probably cost me more than just car money once my wife ******* divorces me for never paying her attention.

On topic.
OP, don't know **** about this cam.

-Matt
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
how can you not get it to degree in?
Couldn't get the intake & exhaust timing to match the camcard. You set it were the intake matches the card and the exhaust was about 6 degree off. I called they give me the number to the people who grind their cams he told me that was normal. Bs I'm no expert but it should match whats on the card they sent me i would think. I just ended up advanceing it 4 deg to split the difference.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA

www.texas-speed.com
PM sent
Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
Off topic but I just gotta say, I can't ******* wait to give TSP my money as soon as it becomes available.
You guys ALWAYS give/get great feedback, always willing to help, and always have prices that our nearly impossible to beat.
You're level of R&D is top notch from what I've seen.
No I'm not some nut-huggin retard, however I do spend a tremendous amount of my free time and work time on this forum.
I don't post much, but I'm ALWAYS on and always learing.
****, this site will probably cost me more than just car money once my wife ******* divorces me for never paying her attention.

On topic.
OP, don't know **** about this cam.

-Matt

Quick Reply: Patriot 225/229 Cam Experience